Pod Your Reef

Reef chemistry calculator help needed...

The Propagator

The Propagator

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Ok.. so my calcium is a 370 ppm

I want to raise it to 417 ppm to match the alkalinity needed.

I am using Kent Marine concentrated Liquid calcium.

The only choice given for liquid calcium is just that.. liquid calcium.

Not concentrate.

I didn't realize this until after I dosed the 5.7 oz it said was needed to raise my calcium.

PLEASE tell me I didn't just fukc up ! Because that seems to be a lhuge amount compared to Kents daily recommendation of 5 mil per 50 gallons daily.

The true volume of water with rock displacements and such is right around 95 gallons, heavily skimmed and heavily stocked.

:D

The Propagator

Nothing to worry about. I tested and it raised it almost exactly to what I needed it to be.

I guess that crap is just like the Pro-buffer DKH.

WEAK AS HELL for anything other than a Nano reef.

I will be glad when I find the proper DIY flake or pellet so I can stop buying that garbage.

filefish949

Not concentrate.

I didn't realize this until after I dosed the 5.7 oz it said was needed to raise my calcium.

PLEASE tell me I didn't just fukc up ! Because that seems to be a lhuge amount compared to Kents daily recommendation of 5 mil per 50 gallons daily.

The true volume of water with rock displacements and such is right around 95 gallons, heavily skimmed and heavily stocked.

LOL, your kidding.... right?

The Propagator

No. I was totally serious.

But it turns out that Kent is weak as fukc and thats the reason it took so much.

filefish949
Who says I did?

Filefish, your asshat shadow gets there before you do.

Geese.. touchy touchy... i am always helpful to the n00bs but in the future, ask these sorts of questions in the Beginners Discussion you will find more help that way

filefish949

I was not going to say anything, but yea, you are sort of an ashat for keeping all these anamals without knowing how to care for them. ask question about the care and feeding of a corral or fish before you take the responsibility of taking thm home

it is so tragic how every day we get another n00b with the "OMG I poured a whole bottle of XXXXX in my tank, did I kill everything?" post,

don't take it personally prop, you are just another in a long line of uneducated n00bs I an just picking on you because you have been around long enough to know better, which makes you a n00b with a postcount

The Propagator
I was not going to say anything, but yea, you are sort of an ashat for keeping all these anamals without knowing how to care for them. ask question about the care and feeding of a corral or fish before you take the responsibility of taking thm home

it is so tragic how every day we get another n00b with the "OMG I poured a whole bottle of XXXXX in my tank, did I kill everything?" post,

don't take it personally prop, you are just another in a long line of uneducated n00bs I an just picking on

you because you have been around long enough to know better, which makes you a n00b with a postcount

Your a moron.

Because I had one question about a product ID I am a noob now?

Put up a photo of your tank full of equipment you don't even trust well enough to use that you over paid for FileFish.

Then I will put up a photo of all of mine.

Not only have I been keeping coral since before you were probably even interested in the hobby I DAMN SURE know how to care for every piece I have. For that matter I bet I have colonies in my main system that have been in there since before you even knew what a nano reef was, before that they were in another system I had set up for YEARS AND YEARS.

Even during a major tank crash caused by an electrical short that completely made every sps I own WHITE as snow I never lost ONE CORAL.

I think I know how to take care of my coral.

Did you see me post a question about how to care for a coral ?

Have you EVER seen me post a question about how to care for a coral?

NO AND HELL NO.

This was a question about product ID you tool.

*look at me.. I'm a big time reefer because I blew money on a high dollar computerized monitor I don't even trust the calibration on...*

The equipment doesn't make the reefer. Experience does.

In that department I bet I trump just about every member save for a small few on this forum.

Including your troll ass. If anyone is a Noob with a post count its you captain cut and paste.

( the above is only meant to sound arrogant and demeaning to filefish. Every one else just skip over it. )

I can always tell when you have cut and pasted something because you spell worse then I do and you have worse punctuation then I do. So pretty much we should all take any thing you post thats spelled correctly as either a cut and paste or an accident.

Not concentrate.

Not sure if this is true or not. I heard that kent marine liquid calcium takes a while to be integrated into the SW water. I learned this from a LFS guy who has been around for a long time. So, you might want to test your calcium again. I definitely don't know if this is true or not.

The Propagator
Not sure if this is true or not. I heard that kent marine liquid calcium takes a while to be integrated into the SW water. I learned this from a LFS guy who has been around for a long time. So, you might want to test your calcium again. I definitely don't know if this is true or not.

It takes a few hours for any calcium addetive to saturate the water colum.

I tested again several hours afterwards and the readings were almost deads nuts on with the calculater.

Aragonite based calcium addetives however will give you a false reading.

They do not easily saturate the water colum. Thats why most all aragonite based addetives sold are basically considered snake oil.

My question was due to the wording on the lable versus what the calculator had listed.

"concentrated" liquid calcium on the bottle, Liquid calcium on the calculator.

Call it lack of sleep, brain fart... worrying to much.. what ever :lol:

HecticDialectics

Wow... uh, filefish, I think you just got owned... :lol:

NewRack.jpg

What a total n0ob tank... there's not even any rocks or anything! :lol::P

The Propagator

I know man check it out now....

loadedtank.jpg

Isn't that disgusting looking ? ( and thats 3 months or so AFTER a major crash that turned all my sps bone white)

The pic you posted is about 1 month old. ( I got that Korilla 3 in the left of the pic about 1 month ago then snapped that pic off after placing it in the tank)

I have bought ZERO new coral since then for this tank.

Notice the space is all taken up now from new growth frags.

Yeah I am king noob.

:P

It takes a lot of CaCl solution of any kind to RAISE levels. Even with Randy's 2 part it takes me like 250ml to raise my 60 gallons of water 20-30ppm. The same is true for Mg. It takes TONS of Mg supplement to increase levels.

Filefish... just go away man... just go away.

filefish949
blah blah blah

your are a n00b

stick to the lounge

you have been keeping SPS since 2001, and you are still using branded liquid supplements LOL and guessing how much to add LOL

the "great propagator" does not even know how to dose calcium ROFLMMFAO

FYI, I got my first ACII in 96' and my first Knop reactor in 95'

Glad it worked out ok Prop.

Do you and filefish always go on like that at each other? If you two kind of play it up for fun, then great. Otherwise, filefish you come across as a jerk. Sorry. I don't know you, but after your post... yeesh.

filefish949
Glad it worked out ok Prop.

Do you and filefish always go on like that at each other? If you two kind of play it up for fun, then great. Otherwise, filefish you come across as a jerk. Sorry. I don't know you, but after your post... yeesh.

yea, "i am a just a F-ing jerk" LOL

it is just that I see prop jump on people with post counts under 20 all the time for doing exactly what he did. this is not the lounge, flaming new people is not acceptable, and in all honesty, his question is not an advanced one, it belongs in the beginner section, and dumping an amount of product in a tank without knowing what it will do is a beginner move

LOL! Like I said... Sorry! ;) My statement actually sounds overly harsh to me. Perhaps I am a jerk as well. :P

I agree that someone with Prop's experience should know to be absolutely certain about the amount of something he is adding, but hey... it happens, he just caught the word concentrated and that made him question his dosing.

Both of you are knowledgeable so hopefully I have not offended either one of you, after all, I may need some help from ya'll one day.

The Propagator
your are a n00b

stick to the lounge

you have been keeping SPS since 2001, and you are still using branded liquid supplements LOL and guessing how much to add LOL

the "great propagator" does not even know how to dose calcium ROFLMMFAO

FYI, I got my first ACII in 96' and my first Knop reactor in 95'

So how about those photos? Put up or shut up Mr. Man.

Ive been keeping sps since 91'.

Your posts in this thread are just hurting you my man. Not me.

Troll on brother .. troll on...

The Propagator
LOL! Like I said... Sorry! ;) My statement actually sounds overly harsh to me. Perhaps I am a jerk as well. :P

I agree that someone with Prop's experience should know to be absolutely certain about the amount of something he is adding, but hey... it happens, he just caught the word concentrated and that made him question his dosing.

Both of you are knowledgeable so hopefully I have not offended either one of you, after all, I may need some help from ya'll one day.

Pftt... NOTHING on here pizzes me off to the point of not wanting to help a fellow reefer out.

( you didn't any way. F-nuts did because he is trolling)

The only thing that truly pizzes me off on here is LadyPants.

I did the right thing from the begining and I knew I did the right thing. I just had a mind fart afterwards for some reason.

Like you said..It happens....

Archived