Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Sized Calcium Reactor?

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

So im thinking it might be a good idea to atleast ask if there is such a thing

im thinking about gettin my ap12 to be alot of stonies eventually n i wanted to know if there was a calc reactor i could us

or if im just better off dosing myself

if i do get one itll be after i mod a fuge which will make it between 18-22g

any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont quote me on this but i think calvin415, a member here, might be comming out with a series of nano calc reactors

you could use the largest caclium reactor ever created... you just wouldn't have to add new media but once every year or two.

TheUnfocusedOne

i could get a huge one, id rather get a smaller one though just because of size constraints as well as cost

its a nano for a reason! i dont have room for bigger!

Edit: 1,000!!!!!!!

big times now

via aqua makes one with a bubble counter built in, Im considering one also for my 26. sps in the tank is killing me with two-part dosing. you would still need a regulator and co2 tank.

TheUnfocusedOne
im currently using the Via Aqua ACRO-CAL reactor it only costed me 50$ to get here in Canada. it works great and its easy to set. a great piece of equip for $50

link:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...NCA253%26sa%3DN

wow great find!

alright someone please explain to me exactly how a ca reactor works then i can know exactly what i need to get

are you saying im going to need an external CO2 tank?

how much does it cost to get your CO2 set up? i have been thinking about this for a while but im a little baffled by what all you need and how to go about setting it up...

i could get a huge one, id rather get a smaller one though just because of size constraints as well as cost

its a nano for a reason! i dont have room for bigger!

Edit: 1,000!!!!!!!

big times now

i did some calculations... it'd be 800+ for me to setup CA for my 285g :(

TheUnfocusedOne
Basically with the via aqua you would need a co2 tank and regulator for it.

ha nice, how much would that cost would you say

im guessing i can get a small tank of co2 n not have to get the huge scuba sized one

can anyone just give me a good idea of what id be instore for if i tried to do this?

what are the pros vs cons n ect

TheUnfocusedOne

alright so from what im understanding im going to need the following:

a place to put the calcium, the reactor itself

CO2 tank

regulator

pH sensor maybe

bubble counter

and tubing to go in an out

am i missing nething?

can anyone give me some prices on some of this stuff?

heres the cost i spent on my Ca reactor:

Via Aqua ACRO-Cal reactor :$60.00

Rowalith C+ (6.0KG): $40.00

zeomag: (1.0KG): $15.00

2nd hand 5lb CO2 cylinder+ regulator: $120.00

*not needed* milwuakee PH controller: $120.00

total without PH controller: $235.00

total with PH controller: $355.00

if you want an idea of how well the via aqua ca reactors work feel free to follow my 30g thread. It keeps my Ca at 380ppm, Alk at 9d, and Mg at 1380ppm.

filefish949

the thing is that the weak link in any reactor system is usaly the regulater, the ones made for beer kegs are just no where near precise enough for us. you end up with wildly varrying ph inside the reactor unless you use a ph controler, but even that is a bandaid, so you need to spend at least $150 on a regulator, co2 setup is going to run at least $250, and $200 for the reactor, or you could just put in an order to bulkreefsupply.com for $100 shipped and get about a 5 year supply of 2part for a nano

TheUnfocusedOne
heres the cost i spent on my Ca reactor:

Via Aqua ACRO-Cal reactor :$60.00

Rowalith C+ (6.0KG): $40.00

zeomag: (1.0KG): $15.00

2nd hand 5lb CO2 cylinder+ regulator: $120.00

*not needed* milwuakee PH controller: $120.00

total without PH controller: $235.00

total with PH controller: $355.00

if you want an idea of how well the via aqua ca reactors work feel free to follow my 30g thread. It keeps my Ca at 380ppm, Alk at 9d, and Mg at 1380ppm.[/quote

just read over your post

your tank is beautiful

i have a few question i could really use answered though

how do you figure out how many drips perday are required to mantain your pH Ca Mg and Alk?

also how bulky is the whole set up? id imagine its probably not easy with the co2 tank and everything

how long is the co2 tank lasting?

Where does your PH controller reside? is it in the reactor to keep track of the pH in there to make sure everything is disolving or in ur tank to make sure ur not adding to much?

Edit: Just read files post

it seems like thats the much more cost effective method, is it harder to maintain with the 2 part?

im going to be at school alot, and im trying to get my rents to take care of it which they are willing to do

but they are both busy, and the less matenince required for them on a daily basis the better

they are willing to top off and feed and do water changes n stuff but daily addition of 2 parts might be to much for them

i might have to scrap the whole sps idea untill later

I believe he has the ph probe in the fuge area and it is using it to shutoff the reactor if the ph drops too much. I dosing 2-part like crazy on my 26 due to sps demands. Im gonna add kalk to my topoff and see how that does. Then I may go the ca reactor route, but i know im gonna spend around 250 for that.

I have a RSM setup with a CA Reactor and Kalk Reactor. I would not even attempt to add a CA Reactor on a nano without a PH controller. CA reactors drive PH down drastically and can result in disaster without the safety net of a controller.

the other thing iwas thinking about is a klak (sp?) reactor... i have seen some cool DIY on this but im very confused with them... the seem cheaper and do the same thing? im just getting tired of 2 part

filefish949

ok, the corredt way to do it with a Ph prob is with a 2 probe controler. the first probe is in the actual reaction chamber, it controls the selanoid to keep the pH inside thereactor around 5.0 YMMV to keep it acidic enough to disolve the calcium carbonate media. the 2nd probe is put in the sump as a safety mesure to shut down the selanoid if the tank pH goes below your setpoint, say 8.0, even if you think 7.9 is ok, the tank pH will continue to drop even after the selanoid is shut down, idealy you want that safety probe to also activate a dosing pump to bring the pH back up to 8.1 or so by slowley adding kalkwasser. you can avoid using the internal pH probe by using a high quality regulator but that is going to cost you. you set the drip rate by mesuring the carbonat hardness of the effluant, this may take days as you make a small adjustment and let it run fo an hour to see what happened then test KH again. wash rinse repeat wash rinse repeat until you have your desired effluant hardness, say 14 dkh

TheUnfocusedOne
the other thing iwas thinking about is a klak (sp?) reactor... i have seen some cool DIY on this but im very confused with them... the seem cheaper and do the same thing? im just getting tired of 2 part

im interested too

anything to make reefing as easy and matenience free as possible :D

filefish949

to efectively maintain correct alkilinity and calcium levels with kalkwasser alone requiers (either, and, or) a low demand rate (no clams and few sps) a high evaperation rate. kalkwasser is not very concentrated so you have to add a lot. it is great for maintaning pH and suplementing a primary Ca/Alk plan, but is very hard to be an effective primary Ac/Alk supliment plan

Archived