Firefish - Nemateleotris magnifica

As for corals:

Pavona maldivensis

Fungia sp.

Sun coral

Porites sp.

Sinularia sp.

firefish live in hawaii ?

Their range extends the whole indo pacific. Very rarely they can be found in hawaiian waters.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSum...sname=magnifica

Fishbase is a great place to look for all the fish species found in a specific region.

http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountryAqu...fm?country=840B

Little late on this one, but just in case someone else reads along... Fishbase is a good starting point, but not definitive, depending on the search terms you enter. For example, if you search Amphiprion polymnus (saddle clown), you'll see the map shows it present in Singapore. However, if you search for marine fishes in Singapore, it is not listed. (I've discovered this with a number of reef/lagoon associated fish in my searches for info on Singapore marine life).

Well, it seems that this scuba diver has found red firefish at Kona Hawai'i:

http://kona-scuba-diving.blogspot.com/2005...e-blooming.html

Not sure if that's directed towards my statement, so I just want to clarify in case:

When Fishbase lists a fish at a locale, the listing is good - no doubt about that. They pull their info directly out of documented findings (in the form of science journal articles).

What they haven't done is completed the database to include every location listed in the literature (not surprisingly...that's an overwhelming undertaking), and cross-list so that no matter how you search for a species (by name, country, etc.), that it always shows up in the correct locations.

So, yeah...no doubt if fishbase has it listed, the info is good. Just a matter of whether ALL the info is listed :)

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, dshnarw, but I was trying to help out John Hopkins.

Cool - just making sure :) I think I've been in the lounge too much recently :mellow:

I needed to clarify that post anyway

• 2 weeks later...
aanderson09

I live on oahu, and if you are still looking for fish for a 5g I would recogmend a small blenny or something. I could probably grab one for you. As far as firefish are concerned, I have not seen any ever in the wild here (I snorkle/scuba quite often) and corals are illegal to collect from the wild here or export/import (easy to get around the importing), but what phases said way up at the top of this page sounds pretty accurate, but all the corals in hawaii are brown/yellow if you really want to be authentic. PM me if you have any more questions

EDIT: we have some zoo's and nice sponges too, mostly orange zoos

Archived