Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Too much rock work for a indo-pac patch reef?

lazy-boy

Hey guys,

Great website. Just started my first saltwater tank and have been inspired by patch reef's.

Just wondering if I have too much rock, or any suggestions on aquascaping for a patch-style reef. I'm afraid the rockwork is too tall once the LPS and/or SPS grow height (when the time comes).

I could lose 2 of the bigger boulders and spread out the existing rock to make 2 shorter stacks or... perhaps more piles that are smaller in width and height? Most of my rock is fist-sized so it will be easier to work with when re-arranging.

Specs:

Your average 20g Long tank 1/4" glass

~40# live sand 3" sand bed

~30# live rock

koralia 1 (will buy another soon)

Jager 50w heater (temps are about 78-80*

Whisper filter for surface agitation (loud, spare i found)

2x65w coralife

as far as livestock:

2 ocellaris clownfish

1 shrimp goby

1 pistol shrimp

CUC:

of sorts, made a list, maybe you guys can help with it when i post it later

There was 3 hermit crabs that found there way in, blue legs, looks like some yellow hair. i'll have to examine again. about 7mm in length.

corals:

need to do more research on what grows in this specific biotope...

tankanteriorresize.jpg

Also, any help ID'ing this? Aiptasia?

unknownhitchhiker-sinistrolateral.jpg

Thanks in advance!

lazy-boy

I decided it was too much and have 3 smaller stacks and removed 2-3 of the bigger rocks and some smaller ones. Unfortunately I do not have another heater or powerhead to have the other live rock in so it's still in the tank stacked on top of my little ones. I'll post pics when I can take those out.

• 5 months later...

the reef building stony corals are the main inhabitants, the natural cycle is fragments of large reefs build patch reefs, and over time, grow into full size reefs.

Hey guys,

Great website. Just started my first saltwater tank and have been inspired by patch reef's.

Just wondering if I have too much rock, or any suggestions on aquascaping for a patch-style reef. I'm afraid the rockwork is too tall once the LPS and/or SPS grow height (when the time comes).

I could lose 2 of the bigger boulders and spread out the existing rock to make 2 shorter stacks or... perhaps more piles that are smaller in width and height? Most of my rock is fist-sized so it will be easier to work with when re-arranging.

Specs:

Your average 20g Long tank 1/4" glass

~40# live sand 3" sand bed

~30# live rock

koralia 1 (will buy another soon)

Jager 50w heater (temps are about 78-80*

Whisper filter for surface agitation (loud, spare i found)

2x65w coralife

as far as livestock:

2 ocellaris clownfish

1 shrimp goby

1 pistol shrimp

CUC:

of sorts, made a list, maybe you guys can help with it when i post it later

There was 3 hermit crabs that found there way in, blue legs, looks like some yellow hair. i'll have to examine again. about 7mm in length.

corals:

need to do more research on what grows in this specific biotope...

tankanteriorresize.jpg

Also, any help ID'ing this? Aiptasia?

unknownhitchhiker-sinistrolateral.jpg

Thanks in advance!

lazy-boy

thats one colorful aptasia if it is one.

Archived