SaltCritters.com

Vortech Review

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

We got a vortech at the shop yesterday and I got to play with it on the 55 gal. It was throwing a pretty nice wave, about 2 inches. I was quite impressed.

But, I also found it to be kind of strong, blasting everything close to it to make the wave. Also, any idea what are the effects long term on the tanks joints? The water puts a lot of torque on the tank.

Overall I would say it is really cool, but a little over priced.

VERY overpriced I think... But a nice pump no less. Are you sure it exerts stress on the tank/glass joints though?

RayWhisperer

What Vortech product is everyone talking about?

I've always really liked their diatom filters. Nothing can polish a tank quite like them....

disaster999

anyone know whatever happen to the guy over at reefcentral about having a vortech on his acrylic tank and cracked it? his thread was so damn long it broken up into 3 sections.

SeeDemTails

The stress is from the type of wave it makes. The entire volume of water is moving back and forth. Like a real wave, the fish, the corals, everything moves in the tank.

Im sure it puts stress on the tank itself.

ReefKeepersCorner
Nothing can polish a tank quite like them....

and no one polishes a chrome ball on a trailer hitch quite like you!

SeeDemTails- Don't worry about the stress. I only run surges on my tanks and have for years. I have never had an issue and surges are WAY more intense than any powerhead.

RayWhisperer
:lol: Way to answer my question there spank pickle! ######## jokes are all the rage.

BeLOW ME. :D

Edit; CM, that's a high brow filter you got going here...Felacio to get around it?

ReefKeepersCorner
:lol: Way to answer my question there spank pickle! ######## jokes are all the rage.

BeLOW ME. :D

Edit; CM, that's a high brow filter you got going here...Felacio to get around it?

Tease.

I have two vortech's on my tank, I've read a lot of stress issues but it comes down to this: if you have a well built tank, it's not a problem (such as the ELOS system I have). Also using vortechs for wave control is like using any wave making device, either it be the tunze wave box or something else, you'll always have a problem, so it's not directly related to vortechs only.

Also, no need to run it in wave mode, I have mine on reef-crest all the time unless I'm trying to show off =)

I like the vortechs better than tunzes ONLY because they're much smaller and take up almost no space compared to the tunze streams. But that's the only thing better. Once Tunze has something comparable in stealthiness, I'll switch over.

filefish949

SeeDemTails- Don't worry about the stress. I only run surges on my tanks and have for years. I have never had an issue and surges are WAY more intense than any powerhead.

ok since no one will let you in on it, SeeDem is a drag queine you moran LOL

ReefKeepersCorner
ok since no one will let you in on it, SeeDem is a drag queine you moran LOL

What does that make Gay Whisper?

SeeDemTails

Filefish, shouldnt you be at the range with your homo buddy proraptor playing with each others tools...I mean weapons? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, you boys can bicker some where else!

Kyle, the guy who bought it, put it on his 90 at home. I went over to check it out and he is not getting a 3" wave from it! When it gets tuned just right, this thing is really cool! Still a little too $$ for me, but if they can make it a little more reliable and cheaper, this will be a super cool product.

We got a vortech at the shop yesterday and I got to play with it on the 55 gal. It was throwing a pretty nice wave, about 2 inches. I was quite impressed.

But, I also found it to be kind of strong, blasting everything close to it to make the wave. Also, any idea what are the effects long term on the tanks joints? The water puts a lot of torque on the tank.

Overall I would say it is really cool, but a little over priced.

my vortech manual warns against using it on acrylic tanks :)

VERY overpriced I think... But a nice pump no less. Are you sure it exerts stress on the tank/glass joints though?

it's not overpriced. SCNRS gb duh

they are crap they break down and the battery backups burn out truly first gen flaws never fixed.

i'll admit, my first unit did die... but was promptly replaced by icecap.

What Vortech product is everyone talking about?

I've always really liked their diatom filters. Nothing can polish a tank quite like them....

different company. ECOTECH

SeeDemTails

Yeah there is no doubt it is cool! I think many people dont understand the type of wave this makes. I personally didnt until I saw it in action.

I have a 37g, I dont think my tank is long enough to get the resonance going.

Yeah there is no doubt it is cool! I think many people dont understand the type of wave this makes. I personally didnt until I saw it in action.

I actually seen a youtube vid of a kid running a vortech on what looked like a aquapod or biocube.

fast forward to about the 2:15 minute mark

Archived