SaltCritters.com

Best (and worst) All-In-One tank?

sighthoundlynn

Crackerballer

Between the Aquapod, Biocube and Nanocube, so far I likethe Biocube. I just upgraded from an AP24 with Sunpod to a BC29 with 24" Outer Orbit. Here are the reasons I like the BC better than AP (besides 5 extra gallons.

1: The 3 chamber setup that allows the built in Fuge and seperation of equipment

2: The water level in the display stays constant, even when you need to top off.

I looked at the Finnex M30 and Cadlights, and for the price of those all together that is near what I paid for my 90g Tech Tank and stand.

I am keeping my Aquapod and doing the Nanotuners 3.36 hood mod to keep the tank as a Zoos tank.

I say go with whatever looks you want, everything else can just about be changed or modded.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like this all boils down to there is no right or wrong answer to this question, just doing the research will allow you to make the choice that right for you. Having done the research you will know the shortcomings and strengths of the tank you buy so you can assemble it accordingly.

masterbuilder
I've had

Aquapod 12g

2 Aquapod 24g's

2 29g Biocube's

IMO the Biocube's seem alot better built!

Ok...somebody that has ACTUALLY had a couple of the major branded closed top tanks...I would listen to that.

For the closed top, IMO in the 12/14G size the Biocube. In the 24/28G size I like the Nanocube over the Biocube because the Biocube's top is not hinged. Best deal going...Nanocube 24 with nanocustoms.com's 3.36+1.24 mod.... ready to rumble straight out of the box. http://www.nanocustoms.com/product_info.ph...;products_id=36

For the open top, the Solana is quite nice or the Finnex. Finnex is 24", which opens up any light config you want. I am not a fan of the CAD only because I have grown tired of the bow front look, nice tank though.

Like I have said before....pick the one YOU like the looks of best. The differences are insignificant.

Hey all!

Haven't updated what I have done with my tank because I haven't gotten it yet! Maybe I should have gone with a Finnex??

DHL broke my first tank that Cadlights shipped to me and now FedEx has destroyed the second one. Is the big reef enthusiast up above trying to tell me something? lol

well.. if the third time don't work, I am gonna ditch trying to get a Cadlights and just order a Finnex.

Wish me luck!

Sounds to me like CAD might possibly be slipping on their packing of the tanks... DHL is a lusy shipper from what I hear as well. I got my Finnex tank over a year and a half ago shipped UPS and during the worst week of the holiday shipping season no-less. Packing was bulletproof and NOTHING came cracked or broken. I'd honestly look to CAD and how they are packing the tanks before I'd question the shippers...

I have talked to Eddie several times about it. He said the second time he shipped out a tank (fedex) that they packed even more protection into it and it still got destroyed. FedEx is usually a rock solid company in my experience but I do know for a fact that they shipped this to several wrong locations before it came nice and broken to Las Vegas. They are supposed to ship another tank to me on weds/thurs and hopefully this one will get to me. If not I am going to cancel order and get a Finnex.

:/

• 3 weeks later...
oh my fraggin gosh!

Don't wanna spark another fight, but how goes the tank? It's june now =)

I'm in the midst of putting myself into debt literally at the moment with what I am planning on buying. I already have a 150w Sunpod I want to reuse so I have the Solana up as a potent canditate. In my marine depot cart I have jbj ATO's, RK2 and etc, 1/15 chillers, and tunze skimmer! In the end, I'm going to spend alot of money anyway so for now, it's just all about the looks, and I have to admit I don't liek the curvey look, but the CAD does look nice. plus I live in NY so I'd pick it up myself to avoid damage...

If another fight sparks, I vote for a good ole bucket as the prime candidate for a tank.

First I want to say that this is an excellent thread; I wish it had been out there when I was looking. I my self did a lot of research for an AIO and ended up with the Finnex 20g with 150 HQI. I know it's not glass and I was a little worried about it being plexi but so far so good. The first tank that was shipped to me was cracked in several places and was delivered by UPS. I called the place I ordered it from and they contacted Finnex and with in an hour Ken @ Finnex called and had another shipped that day. The tank was packed well but it looked like UPS was a little ruff with it during shipping (box was pretty beat up). As far as customer service, I will agree that Finnex is top notch. My second tank arrived a couple of days later and was in one piece.

After having mine up for several months now I can say that I really like the tank but after reading a few threads on the 30g and seeing everyone’s pic's, If I could to do it over I would have gotten the 30g. I like the look of it and that it is glass, not that there is any thing wrong with plexi, I just find my self being so cafefull not to scratch it (just something else I have to worry about :huh: ) I also like the way they designed the rear chambers and I wouldn't mind the extra 10g. I really like the fuge being in the middle and not on the far right and I agree that being in the middle is better than on the right side. I also have been looking at the Cad and it is a nice looking tank as well. As far as who has the best AIO, it's like several people here have said “personal preference". And if I was in the market for another tank, it would be a choice between the Cad and the Finnex. They are both nice tanks, but after owning a Finnex and seeing first hand how well their made and how great their customer service is I would choose the Finnex. (JMO)

Ross

Third time was a charm! No thanks to DHL which is another story all in itself, but I got the CAD in ONE PIECE!!!

Took me some figuring and tweaking so far.. but it looks great! Once I get my micro bubble issue worked around, I will try to get some pics up!

BTW, any CAD owners out there NOT using the bioballs for microbubble control? I know that is why they come with the tank but I haven't used bioballs in forever and don't want to add if I don't have to.

Thanks!

burtbollinger

every day I love the finnex more and more....I could not be happier....I say unless you are in love with curved glass, the finnex 30-m is THE best AIO.

• 2 months later...
todd03blown

I just bought the Elos system mini and like it so far. Still in the process of getting it all put together and starting my journey!!

I just bought the Elos system mini and like it so far. Still in the process of getting it all put together and starting my journey!!

Definitely post pics of the tank and it's progress! B)

As if there wasn't aready enough reasons to get a Finnex tank, they just upped the AIO game with a new T5 fixture. Not that the current one is bad, but improvments can always be made in lighting. And obviously Finnex sees what us hobbiests do with our tanks by modding them, and then creates a fixture that doesn't need any mods due to it's wonderful additions! :D

Archived