Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best (and worst) All-In-One tank?

sighthoundlynn

scooter1010
No offense taken X3. B) You've been quite level headed about the CAD vs. Finnex debate, rather than someone in here being a supposed long time person of fish tanks and make their first post a rather ignorant one stating they wouldn't get the Finnex simply because it has 5mm glass while the CAD uses 8mm.... That guy failed to read or even acknowledge that the Finnex uses TEMPERED glass which is stronger. It's like case hardening steel for strength, except it's for glass. So in the end, it's just about as strong as the 8mm glass of the CAD, the ONLY downside is that you can't drill tempered glass. But that would 95% of the time defeat the purpose of an AIO in the first place.

There hasn't been a new model of the Finnex since January '07 and that's pretty much due to the design of the Gen 2 tank not needing any improvement design wise. The ONLY bad part of the tank is the skimmer, which as bad as it's made out to be, I seem to be satisfied with mine and I'm patient enough to work with it and get it to operate properly. I can't fathom however, why Finnex won't invest in the new skimmer that the CAD 39g uses, and even more can't fathom why on Earth CAD won't sell the dang skimmer WITHOUT having to buy the tank. Bad move CAD on the revenue side of things.

The Finnex light fixtures are great quality, they never had safety, recall or quality issues with them, ever! CAD did in the past, but only due to them contracting out to a substandard supplier from China. The Finnex pump is whisper quiet. Especially at night, even the skimmer (which is pretty quiet) is still louder than the main return pump, and it's only the actual venturi of the skimmer you hear, not the pump from it. The fuge on the Finnex is as large as the CAD fuge, and has the benifit of the T-pipe feature which uses the main pump to both provide flow for the main return, as well as provide 100% adjustable flow to the fuge to keep water moving through it. And the stand is also waterproof (that I'm aware of) since I've had water on it and drip from it, and other than lift the vinyl covering from off it at one corner, the stand is in the SAME condition as when I originally unboxed it. I can't speak for how wobbley it is on hard flooring, but on carpet I'd say just about ANY stand will be wobbley especially with the weight being elevated a few feet off of the ground rather than down lower. A UV sterilizer I wouldn't say is a must, I've heard lots of info suggesting that they in some cases can do more harm than good by killing benificial things in the tank. I'm not saying it's not good to have one, but it's definitely not required nor essential. It's more convenience really much like how a controller is.

All that aside, the CAD takes the cake hands down for the slickest looking tank out there. It's extremely asthetically pleasing and DOES offer a wonderful all-in-one solution. The price is still a gut wrencher to many. In all honesty all it offers over the Finnex is 4 things, a nicer exterior look, a good working skimmer, a UV sterilizer and a WAY overpriced fan cooler (NOT a true chiller). To me, those aren't worth the almost $200 higher price tag. The equal function Finnex fan that's offered as an accessory is only $25, and I've seen UV's for $60. Minus $30 from the tank price to omit the skimmer, and instead by a Tunze and you're still saving money. Granted in not as nicely shaped tank and at 9g less... But it all really comes down to personal preferance. In the end both tanks do the SAME thing for the same prupose, and that is to display our reefs and fish. B)

Great observation Rav. See, trolls will always make a mistake trying to point out another's mistake when the chips are down for them. A real man would just fess up and say "you know, I did overlook that and apologize." But instead he just digs his hole deeper and deeper, I love it! :haha:

Moral of story, don't attempt to correct someone's English or grammar without correcting your own first. Scooter = FAIL! :slap:

The Ignorance continues:

benifit, wobbley, benificial, asthetically , preferance, prupose.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ignorance continues:

benifit, wobbley, benificial, asthetically , preferance, prupose.

It pleases me you found my mistakes, I shall fold you in my pocket and take you with me when I need a spell check. :haha:

You seriously amaze me young n00b. At least I'm not trying to correct your's while being incorrect myself. ;) You see, I don't type poor on purpose, I just type fast and am too lazy to go back and correct, I have great English when I need to, but for you there's no point! :haha:

In any event, only a moron would pick on grammer in a thread about tanks when they don't like a response someone gives them about their MIS-information. Keep digging son, you're almost to China. :slap:

Phixion,

I feel like a ping pong ball. I'm back in the finnex court for at least the next 24 hours.

I think what sways me is the T, adjustable flow to fuge, easy upgrade on pump as you did. If I lack your patience I can swap out the skimmer. On the CAD I like the extra volume. Sexy looks? So few people will see it other than myself it's a non-factor.

Other thing is that I can see details of the front and back and all the flow chambers online on the finnex. I haven't found that on the cad.

You've made me back to a Finnex guy. April 22 is the cut date. I get my bonus. I get to buy. Yeah, I don't have a contract for someone to drive me to a LFS to get rock and sand until May, but it just shows I have patience and think ahead.

Thanks guys.

Rav

You definitely think ahead Rav and consider ALL aspects of the choices, I appluad you for that, even if you do go with the CAD. ;) Both are great tanks, but each offers things that the other doesn't. The Finnex offers no less than a handful of things that the CAD doesn't. And like you said it IS nice when a manufacture clearly shoes the function and design of their products like Finnex does, allows for an easier choice. Again it all comes down to preferance. When I got my tank the biggest CAD option at the time was a 25g model, which while having better lighting (6x24w T5HO, 144w total) it lacked a skimmer, as well as 5g of capacity and was $20 MORE than the Finnex. So for me it was a plain as day no brainer. Now the ante is up'ed by CAD and prices are lower for Finnex... It really is a tough choice.

burtbollinger

I just got my Finnex 30M....its sitting downstairs in my work's shipping area...still waiting for my MH which should be here in a few weeks....everything looks gooood, and wow, the tank is well built....makes the JBJ look like a toy. I'm very excited to get it home...and eh, start building the stand at least tonight.

I dont think the glass top panels were included...I also could really use a clrear pic of how to put the back together....

I really like the finnex glass 30 gallon m-tank... Main thing I like is its flexibility in that if you do not like one of its part like the lighting, skimmer you can change it. It can be purchesed with out the lights too... The quality is really good. Nice fuge and everything seems sized perfectly... Hate the skimmer included with it though.

The cad systems are not bad either in the flexibilty and they look nice. I just do not like curved glass that allot of them have... Hard to look through...

Dave

I just got my Finnex 30M....its sitting downstairs in my work's shipping area...still waiting for my MH which should be here in a few weeks....everything looks gooood, and wow, the tank is well built....makes the JBJ look like a toy. I'm very excited to get it home...and eh, start building the stand at least tonight.

I dont think the glass top panels were included...I also could really use a clrear pic of how to put the back together....

I believe the glass tops are still included, email Ron @ Finnex to inquire about them. They have the best customer service I feel of any of the AIO manufactures out there, yes even better than CAD which a dealer for both has admitted to. Pics do the tanks no justice, they really are a heavy duty tank and MUCH better built than they appear to be.

burtbollinger

yep, tops were included...

you have no idea how thick and robust this tank is until you see it in person...its like a rock...really, really cool...also, the non-bended glass was such a cool thing to see in my living room...its like 16 x 9 widescreen or something :)

Obviously Current USA thinks straight corners are the way to go if they put them on the Solana. ;) But curved ones are nice too, just odd to look through from an angle recalling back to my AP12 days...

All I know is that I have read, read, re-read, slept, woken up and done it all over again and can't decide on whether to go with the CAD pro or the Finnex M with a Tunze skimmer. :/

You guys all make so many great points that it makes it even harder to decide which to go with. One thing that does seem to be solid is the fact that most of you are very happy with your decision of the CAD or the Finnex. I am gonna bite the bullet and decide on Monday but wanted to personally thank all of you who have written about all of their tanks!!!

So let me ask you guys this. If I go with a CAD, is it any better to order straight from Eddie or go with Ken from Reeflections? On the Finnex it seems the way to go is with Reeflections.

Any opinions?

TriggerHappyDude

You all have to go with your gut and knowledge. There is no right or wrong answer here. Both FInnex and CAD are great products, even the Solana, just do your research and go with your own gut.

Again, no right or wrong answer here. I like all 3 of those mentioned, had a hard time making a decision on this subject myself, and have since moved on to trying to make a decision on a BIGGER tank! hahaha.

Imagine how hard it is to decide in the 75/90/120 gallon world.

burtbollinger
You all have to go with your gut and knowledge. There is no right or wrong answer here. Both FInnex and CAD are great products, even the Solana, just do your research and go with your own gut.

Again, no right or wrong answer here. I like all 3 of those mentioned, had a hard time making a decision on this subject myself, and have since moved on to trying to make a decision on a BIGGER tank! hahaha.

Imagine how hard it is to decide in the 75/90/120 gallon world.

it might be as simple as do you want square or rounded....

square...finnex

rounded...CAD

So let me ask you guys this. If I go with a CAD, is it any better to order straight from Eddie or go with Ken from Reeflections? On the Finnex it seems the way to go is with Reeflections.

Any opinions?

Personally, you can't go wrong with Ken, so for the CAD either way would be fine. Ken for sure with the Finnex though! ;)

masterbuilder

Finnex or CAD? CAD or Finnex? Its a Ford or Chevy kinda thing or if you need to feel better...its a Rolls/Bentley comparision.

Come on guys...both are very nice tanks. There is no need to try to convince anyone (or yourself) that one tank is the best. It really boils down to which one YOU like.

Both have their + and -. In the end, IMO it boils down to what LOOK you like.

I have a Nanocube now, but I also like Biocubes...both are nice tanks for their size too. One is not any BETTER than the other. They too have their good points and bad. I like them both.

Mark

p.s. Last night I finally ordered my upgrade. Finnex 30G and an ATI 4x24 light. My stand is being made now. Whoot!

One thing I know for sure is that I really like halide lighting, which of course the CAD, finnex and solana all offer. I personally didn't like the solana too much because of the filtration area in the back, but that's me. How about the refugium. How important do you guys believe the refugium area is for the reef tank?

Also, what about the light penetration in the Finnex vs the CAD?

Thanks for any and all replies!

In 150w MH form, light lenetration should be the same between thwe tanks. Obviously the taller tank (probably the Finnex?) would have less penetration on the bottom, but not by much.

Masterbuilder, that sounds like an awesome setup. The ATI is a nice fixture!!

sighthoundlynn

Thank you everyone for the info and opinions! I will keep everyone posted on what brand of tank I buy, and how things work out.

Thank you again!

Lynn

Ok.. so I weighed and measured... measured and weighed.. in the end the girlfriend helped make the decision. lol

Ordered the CAD pro and can't wait to see what I purchased.. :)

Thanks all again!!

Finnex or CAD? CAD or Finnex? Its a Ford or Chevy kinda thing or if you need to feel better...its a Rolls/Bentley comparision.

Come on guys...both are very nice tanks. There is no need to try to convince anyone (or yourself) that one tank is the best. It really boils down to which one YOU like.

Both have their + and -. In the end, IMO it boils down to what LOOK you like.

I have a Nanocube now, but I also like Biocubes...both are nice tanks for their size too. One is not any BETTER than the other. They too have their good points and bad. I like them both.

Mark

p.s. Last night I finally ordered my upgrade. Finnex 30G and an ATI 4x24 light. My stand is being made now. Whoot!

About time Masterbuilder!!! :-)

I've been looking to upgrade my tank for awhile and latched onto your threads when doing research on PFO's solaris

That ATI light is awesome..I was also looking at the Aquactinics

I'm still considering the Solaris..(I read your problems with QC). My LFS is receiving one this week for their display tank so I'll inspect it for quality control, being 3rd gen I think all the problems you experienced should be as thing of the past.

What are your stocking plans?

Best of luck and remember pics!

Andreas

Ok.. so I weighed and measured... measured and weighed.. in the end the girlfriend helped make the decision. lol

Ordered the CAD pro and can't wait to see what I purchased.. :)

Thanks all again!!

Keep us updated, post pics and let us know how it goes! Good luck! B)

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Haven't updated what I have done with my tank because I haven't gotten it yet! Maybe I should have gone with a Finnex??

DHL broke my first tank that Cadlights shipped to me and now FedEx has destroyed the second one. Is the big reef enthusiast up above trying to tell me something? lol

well.. if the third time don't work, I am gonna ditch trying to get a Cadlights and just order a Finnex.

Wish me luck!

chvynva916
Hey all!

Haven't updated what I have done with my tank because I haven't gotten it yet! Maybe I should have gone with a Finnex??

DHL broke my first tank that Cadlights shipped to me and now FedEx has destroyed the second one. Is the big reef enthusiast up above trying to tell me something? lol

well.. if the third time don't work, I am gonna ditch trying to get a Cadlights and just order a Finnex.

Wish me luck!

I was on the fence too about those two, and I ended up going with the finnex. The things I liked were (1) the 250w light v. the cad 150w (I know it's debatable whether in a tank that size there is a difference, but I'm a guy and like power :-)), (2) I actually like the square finnex better than the cad.

I LOVE the look of the RSM, but when it came down to it, the built-in MH lighting and fuge in the finnex/cad setups ruled out the RSM for me (I don't like to mod).

Btw, as long as we're talking about tanks we used to have back in the day, I'll just throw in that in the early nineties I had a 20L AGA reef tank with not only a wet/dry filter but also an undergravel (yes gravel) filter ;-).

I definitely agree with you that the Red Sea Max definitely looks awesome but the lack of MH lighting kills it.

Speaking of back in the days tank I remember my first salt set up which was a 30 gallon tall with an undergravel filter powered by two powerheads on the uplift tubes and a nice deep crushed coral layer. To top it all off the guy at the fish store even sold me a blue angel to go into it.

LOL

Don't comment on how wrong lots of that was... I was new to salt and was doing what I was told waaaay back when in 1990. lol

chvynva916

I'm a bit surprised people are comparing the CAD Pro to the finnex. It seems like the finnex is comparable to the CAD signature, given that the CAD Pro has a below-tank sump/fuge. Personally, I wanted to try an all-in-one with a tank-level sump/fuge.

How important do you guys believe the refugium area is for the reef tank?

Also, what about the light penetration in the Finnex vs the CAD?

Thanks for any and all replies!

I wanted a refugium period.. I was trying to decide between the cad and the finnex also... But I just can not stand looking through curved glass, gives me a headache. i have never seen a curved tank that did not have sometype of distortion.

Dave

Breakin Newz

I've had

Aquapod 12g

2 Aquapod 24g's

2 29g Biocube's

IMO the Biocube's seem alot better built!

Archived