ReefCleaners.org

Lagoon Biotope

ClownLagoon

ClownLagoon

hi everyone,

I have decided to setup a lagoon biotope. This will be my first SW tank and i realy can't wait to get started, however since funds are low i am going to spend my time planning and researching everything ready for when i have the money to start the build. Also i think i have a lot to learn before i start.

I am planning on having a custom tank made 28"Long x 22"Wide x 15"High, it will be drilled for a sump and closed loop.

also there will be a foam/rock beach which will hide the overflow and plumbing.

There is still a lot of stuff i need to figure out, for example what type of lighting to use, what skimmer, stock list ect.

Anyway heres a pic of what i want it to look like when its done.

untitled.jpg

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam.

awesome design. you might want to put some sort of vent on that hood design otherwise it might get kinda hot.

Also, do you know what kind of inhabitants you want or is the tank design the first thing you have?

lakshwadeep

Very nice graphic design and great idea! You could have mangroves at the top of your "sandbar" (not sure what to call it, maybe a continental shelf :D ). If you want more info on mangroves go here; they seem to be pretty easy and you only need a regular plant grow lamp for them to get enough lighting (it's from my local reef club president): http://moon.ouhsc.edu/pwhitby/mangrove.htm

ClownLagoon

hi thanks for the replys.

Lalani, i know it will be quite a challange but if i succeed i will definitely be worth it.

wobbabobba, thanks for the advice on the hood, i didn't even think about heat i was too busy trying to make it look good lol. As for inhabitants i have been thinking the only things i really want are pair of clowns and a carpet anemone, so i am going to do some more research and find out what else lives in the lagoon habitat and can live happily with these.

Thanks again for the comments

ClownLagoon

hi lakshwadeep, i was thinking about doing a mangrove biotope but i could never find any info on the SW inhabitants, all i could find was info about the the mangroves themselves and brackish fish like archer fish and scats ect. also since of how big they get i would have to keep pruning them. However i still might consider them.

ps thanks for the link.

lakshwadeep

One good thing about mangroves that they are very slow growing (i.e. watching grass grow would be more entertaining).

Nice!! Welcome to NR, and glad to have another biotoper!!

If you want links to research from, check out my biotope thread in my sig - TONS of links to blogs in Singapore about the life in the lagoons/reefs there. There's a list in the first post, and some sprinkled throughout the rest. They've been a lot of help to me, and have lots of nice pics to mull over.

Good luck with the new tank!

ClownLagoon

hi every one, thanks for all the replys.

dshnarw, your thread is awesome i can't wait to have a look through all those links.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived