Cultivated Reef

spider webs on coral

ELGORDOINAVW

ELGORDOINAVW

ok it's not really spider webs, but it looks like it and has completely covered my star polyps. what is it and how do i get rid of it? in my nano its on my live rock, what is it?

also i'm having trouble attaching pics, can anyone help me???

for posting pic's: They cant be any larger than like 1meg or somthing like that and definately cant be any larger then 600x???

I am not sure what you mean by spider webs though? Unless what you are seeing is the thread like sweepers that are put out by those tiny hard tube looking things that are on your rock?

If it is realy stringy and mucus like ( meaning opauge and not so much transparent that is) then it is more then likely a leather or another coral sliming in defense of somthing else. Nasty business if it is. try sucking it up with a small siphon hose and go from there.

Hmmm..a "web"...and over star polyps...well..that rules out the sloughing of a mucus coat because star polyps don't do that...hmmmm..what color is it? The only other thing I can think of is that you've got a nasty case of cyano in your system...is it dark in color (red, brown, black, blue?) and forming a slimy "mat" over your rock and corals? If so..you could have cyano..which means too many nutrients in your system...either reduce feedings or increase skimming or get a good method of nutrient export...

It could be vermatid (sp?) snails. They have tupes with 2 little antenna sticking out. When they are feeding, they will send out web like mucus strands to capture particulates and other items from the water column and surrounding area to use as food.

Check closely to see if thats what it is?

Kris

Dennis_said

I know that when I was cycling, I had spider web substances on my live rock... I was told that it is from die-off and bacteria decomposing it or something to that extent..

deacon hemp

thaks abs you just i.d.'d this thing in my tank,sending out mucus all the time.i hate this thing.as for the 'spider webs' i know certain types of zoanthids will web up for unknown reasons,and i just had clover polyps do the same thing.it looks like a mold kinda,i dunno?

Deacon-

As far as your web problem goes, I don't recommend to anyone to exterminate anything just because they "don't like it". Instead, feed your tank in the evening just before bed and you will not have to witness the mess they can make. If you don't want to do that and prefer not to have them, try to remove the rock they are on to another tank or trade it in somewhere.

They will produce more, but they are very benneficial to softy systems. Their mucus will irritate sps dominated tanks tho.

Demios.. most all polyp rocks will produce a slime coat in defense, but not like that of leathers and it wont look like a web it will look like a light , shiney, clear, coating. If they are cut or picked at they will release a toxin in some cases. I was reffering to a leather coral shedding its mucus skin and it landing on the polyps though. Even then their mucus skin tends to harden up a little and become like a chewed up looking peice of syran wrap if left in the system for long periods. Sorry I should have stated that. :)

ELGORDOINAVW

it looks almost like a white-ish mold or spider web , i tried to blow it of the clover polyps not star sorry, but ended up losing alot of the clovers. i don't know if the power head was too strong.

I had one of the type snails Absolutc mentions and the spiderweb mucus was part of the feeding. It would do it everyday, some or most of the web would be pulled back into the snail tube with whatever it happened to snair. It finally died after about a year, didn't look nice but never really hurt the zoos it covered frequently.

Elgordoinavw - does it seem to go away every day just to reappear? Thats how mine was, the web was not there constantly just a few hours when it fed.

deacon hemp

abs i never said i was gonna kill the poor bastard i'm to lazy to kill him anyway,i just said i hated to look at the slime,BTW the slime is always out day and night,and i have 2 of these producing a lot of mucus=not very pretty!my clovers have the exact mold-spider web that elgordo has i could post a pic if anybody is interested?

well it could definately be that snail type thing everybody is talking about . It could also be that your polyps are extending some sort of defensive mechanism. if they are in HEAVY current try moving them into lighter current. if they are super close to another coral that may harm them or a leather coral then try moving them . some polyps will extend a small sweeper tentacle when agrivated as well. They actualy dislodge their center cap and the tentecle rises out like a tiny antena probe. Prety neat but way stressfull. I would ask your LFS or maybe post this questionin the "advacnced " forum. THose guys realy have their act together over there.

Well you should have mentioned that you had it all figured out and no one would have bothered to spew out all this misinformation.... hehehe...kidding if you can't tell.

Green-star Polyps (Pachyclavularia violacea): 1)DO NOT SHED A MUCUS LAYER! 2)DO NOT PRODUCE SWEEPER TENTACLES!

The tubeworm explanation would sound plausible for the most part..however..the worms you're referring to use the mucus as a net that they eventually haul back in...maybe you've got water spiders..lol..:P

deacon hemp

O.k. to clear things up a bit this thread has 2 discussions at once. 1[the mold-web] and 2[the mucus snails] i had a colony of clover polyps [the one's we have been talking about]not gsp die and when they die they look as if they get a [spider web or mold covering] thats what elgordo prolly has going on in his tank too! As for the snails i thanked abs for i.d.ing them elgordo doesn't have them end.

Demios: Pull your head from your ARSE PLEASE!

I never said they shed a mucus membrane. I said they produce a shiney clear slime. AND I WASNT TALKING ABOUT GSP'S CALBRONE!!!!! I was talking about POLYP ROCKS!!!! READ THe ENTIRE THREAD AND LEARN THE DIFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO. They are entirely different animal's. GSP'S are capable of pruducing a calcurous base on which to grow as well. Polyp rock's do not and can not. Seamat polyps for instance, produce a slime coat as well as release thread like strings resembling sweepers from their cap's. Zoo's do this, ect ect ect ect. If you have never seen a polyp rock spew out little stringes that resemble thread then you have more to do still then just looking up scientific names. I took it for granted that every one was reading information pretaining to they're own questions and answers and not making blind comments I guess. BTW GSP"S DO SHED!!!! When they dont get enough light they will start to rot and shed their purple bodies away like a pulp and dwendle away. Shedding and sliming are two different things as well. HMMMM..... again who is giving the wrong information out here? Sheding implies the shedding of a light skin ( which by the way looks slimey because it is under WATER!).....sliming implies the production of a mucous like substance ( As in a defensive mechanism)........ HMMMMMMMM.................Well at least you know what a tube worm is any ways huh? ;)

The original post says "star polyps".....which in my mind says "Pachyclavularia sp.". Again..a lot could be solved around these boards if we used scientific names...especially down to the genus level. "Polyp Rock" to me, means absolutely nothing. We could be talking about Pachyclavularia, Clavularia, Zooanthus, Palythoa, Psuedopalythoa, etc. Pachyclavularia violacea don't "shed" anything..shedding being a normal biological process...yes..if they're DYING..they will SLOUGH tissue..as will any coral. Again.."shed" implies a natural biological process of a living animal..Dog's "shed" hair...that doesn't mean they're dying. As far as sliming goes..I've yet to see GSP's produce significant quantities of slime..a little yes..but nothing on the order of most other corals (Sarcophytons, Lobophytums, Actinodiscus, Discosoma, hell..even most Acroporas slime more than Pachyclavularia..)..and certainly nothing to produce significant "spider-webbing" of most rock. Again..GSP's DO NOT SHED, "However, mucus studies with Briareum species have shown that they regularly shed mucus "sheets", a trait not shared with Pachyclavularia" (Borneman, p. 120) As far as misinformation goes..really..do we really need to get into "83 degrees will kill your tank!" like you posted in the other forum?

Jackass....

saltwdawg posted:

AND I WASNT TALKING ABOUT GSP'S CALBRONE

What language are you trying to speak? LOL

I get those spiderwebs all over my tank everytime I shake my tank up too much (like when I am cleaning the glass). They are coral mucus. GSP does not produce it, it comes mostly from the LPS. It is totally harmless; a few hours later the LPS are happy again.

Thank you very much CHufa! at least on eof us is still on the subject unlike this hore's ass demios! Your webs are definately from what I said about the hard tube worms. they spit out those strands to catch food. Demious ( aka MORON): The original post didnt say green starpolyps!!!! I said nothing of them shedding either idiot! I simply said that somthing else in the tank may have shed and the current carried it on to it. and yes all polyps produce a slime coat! They dont shed like a leather but the DO make a thin slime coat. ( for instance when the water is to WARM!) Were your parents brother and sister by chance? Or maybe you were adopted from a simion circus? AND YES if you let you tank get over 82 degress you are running the risk of harming your corals. You have your head so far up your butt you must be having lunch with your colon! Like I said before you blundering idiot! Sientific naming dosent qualify you as anything more then a cut and paste expert!

No take your arse back to the pet shop and ask some more questions so that you can pretend to have the answers here on the board! And if corals shed BTW it is because they are defending themselves not because they are growing you MORON!!!!! They arent reptiles that shed skin normaly in a growth period! Man I wish DAVE ESPI were here to give you the real lesson you need right now. See peolpe! This is the exact reason we needed some one like Dave here on the board! To keep the villiage idots like demios in check! Now, demios go back in the lab with "Pinky the rat" and try another plan at rueling the world ok!

"shedding may be clasyfied by your lfs as normal but it is indeed a reaction to somthing else bothering it. SPS do not shed as a normal thing. They produce a Highly volitile slime that prety much decintigrates all it touches. But not all sps do this. For instance MOST species of the acropora family do not do this.

I am WAY to lazey to do that sir!!!! LOL!!!

When you disturb the tank in such a way to swirl the dirt and junk around it will land on corals and rock. when it does they produce a slime coat to catch it if it is bothering them and they produce web like crap too. But if they think it is food some corals will do this too. ( produce some sort of sweeper that is not slime.)

Oy vey...boss..you need to open a book. Seriously....for instance...(direct quote) "Recent trends favor maintaining a somewhat more natural reef temperature of 27-29C (80-84F). The reasoning behind this increase is that the entire metabolism of the tank is raised, including those of the microbial community, detritus processing organisms, and herbivores." (Borneman, Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History, p. 348) "Tropical corals live within about 2.8C (5F) of their upper lethal limit, yet temperatures below that range can cause, "profound physiological changes, notably in respiration and photosynthetic rates". (Davies, 1992)" (Borneman, p. 348)

"ok it's not really spider webs, but it looks like it and has completely covered my star polyps."--thats a quote from the first post on this thread..if you'd take the time to READ IT! STAR POLYPS..right there..plain as day. Green, white, brown...to me...star polyps mean Pachyclavularia.

Of course all corals...and all marine animals for that matter...have a slime coat. But those of Pachyclavularia (again..as the first post referred to STAR POLYPS!) are insignificant and wouldn't account for a NOTICEABLE "spider-web". And as a matter of fact...many corals DO SHED mucus layers..some of them even waxy..in the normal course of their life cycles...not because there is anything wrong with them in particular...again..you'd know this if you opened a book or had been reefing for more than approximately 3 days.

As far as that last little thing about shedding not being normal...for SPS yes...most don't shed..especially the acroporids...but seeing as how nothing in this post REMOTELY mentions an SPS coral...or hell..a Scleractinian of any sort...why is that pertinant? This thread has been entirely about an octocoral....but I do have to apologize for using big scientific words..I realize its hard for most of the ****ing morons around here to understand....they just like having their pretty fish and their pretty corals that inexplicably die every few months and need replacing....with a few notable exceptions (Abs, Chris, Crak come to mind...) the average idiot on this board (that would definately be you, SD) isn't going to do or know more than how to kill corals. Those of us who take a conscientious interest in learning about the animals under our care and the specific requirements that those animals have are the ones that will be around...while the rest of the people like you Salty...will give up sinking money into something that you obviously can't do with any proficiency...for ****s sake..you don't even know the proper temperature to keep a tank at..I can't imagine taking your advice on any more important or pressing issues of difficult animal husbandry.....

Btw...some corals ARE mucosal feeders as well...that is..they create a mucus-web to trap food and then again...like tube worms..will haul most or part of that web back into the polyp to eat. The most noticable one I've found to do this is the "Green Slimer" or "Bali Slimer" Acropora that tons of people have. Just thought I'd submit yet ANOTHER correction.....

Goly gee mr. scientist! I bet that is why I stated "MOST" not ALL acroporas do not do that huh? well at least you read somthing or at least searched for it on the internet and once again cut and pasted it about the tube worms and the slime coat. But still you have yet to admit or realize I did not post GREEN STAR POLYPS YOU f'N moron!!! as for the coments about acropora, it was an example to better help explain it to morons like you what I ment and what corals do and dont shed, as well as why. BTW, shedding is only cinsidered normal to idiots like you who constantly have a chemical war fare going on in there tank You sir are a cut and paste master but other wise oblivious to reality!

The date of the "direct quote" you once again cut and pasted is from way back in 1992 IDIOT!!!!!! lets see this is hhhhhhmmmmmmm oh yeah 2003!!!!! now lets do a little math here.....11 YEARS DIFERENCE!!!! I would think that reef keeping as a whole has come to surpass the dusty ass book you got that out of 11 years ago! better come with more recent proof.

Like every updated website about reef keeping on the net does!!!!!

Well I am done with this I have better things to do than baby sit village idiots like you.

I would love to see your soupy tank after you keep your temps at a steady 84 degrees. To much heat stunt's grow and SLOWS the matabolism of most corals to the point of death and sliming away to nothing. BTW old timer. The recomended temp is 76-82 degfrees max.

Have a great day in retardville!!!!!!!!

Archived