ReefCleaners.org

fireworm

dshnarw

I've been thinking the next tank should be a fireworm species tank...or at least add it to the pest pico, and move that setup to my office.

Why? So I can tell the undergrads to stick their hand in the tank and watch them pass out from the pain :P

ok, so not really...but, they're pretty cool creatures, easy to feed, cool to look at (big "puffballs" of venomous spines sticking out...what's NOT cool about that?)

Downside...no sticking the hand in the tank on a whim, and I'd smell like vinegar for a week if I got stung.

And the hard part (much like with the mini carpets, coldwater species)...FINDING a *LIVE* fireworm is a pain. The "wanted" thread in the local forum, up for a couple weeks now, gets more "you're crazy" responses than anything else. Tampa Bay Saltwater apparently does not return my emails now :(

But this'll bring a new dimension to species-specific/biotope tanks :)

Have you emailed sealife inc? I wonder if he could keep an eye out for you. If there are any species indigenous to Hawaii, perhaps ch08. Just a couple of ideas, assuming you haven't thought of it yet. Good luck in your search.

Have you emailed sealife inc? I wonder if he could keep an eye out for you. If there are any species indigenous to Hawaii, perhaps ch08. Just a couple of ideas, assuming you haven't thought of it yet. Good luck in your search.

Dr. Mac at Pac East is searching for me. He's been pretty good about finding stuff for the local people.

The first place I tried was Tampa Bay Saltwater, since Hermodice is from that area, and they acted like they'd never heard of them before, and after the second email, never responded again... <_<

's okay if I have to wait a while though. It's almost easier to wait until after the wedding/honeymoon so some unlucky club member doesn't have to watch the tank for a month, so no hurry in getting it.

Just throwing it out there in case someone catches one in their tank :)

johnmaloney

If you really want them, I can get them. My brother has a commercial license, and we know where to find them, (or rather to look out for them). How many do you need? (They can get big). We have to wait for a very low tide to do it right, and mail the same day. (Sorry, but there is no way I can put them in a tank prior to mailing). Let me know if your interested.

Out of curiosity, are you going to have a mud flat biotype? If so, you should get the other mud flat pest the mantis shrimp to keep the fireworm company.

Hand in the fireworm tank, now that is discipline! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool, in my local waters (Singapore) I have seen those fireworm - scary - they are rather large with the bristles everywhere. Good Luck with your tank!

man... I've got an 8" fireworm in my Solana I will send you if I can get him.
lakshwadeep

I've seen a fireworm species tank at the oklahoma aquarium. It was a lot like those ant farms for kids that had thin walls with lots of sand and tunneling fireworms wiggling everywhere.

Yeah...our one big one just hung out on the sand, didn't really move around much.

The tank at Oklahoma must be fairly new - I went there 3 times in 2005 and it wasn't there.

I decided to hold off on this one until after we get back from the honeymoon. The guy watching my tanks probably doesn't want to be stung.

lakshwadeep
The tank at Oklahoma must be fairly new - I went there 3 times in 2005 and it wasn't there.

I'm not sure when I saw it (at least a few years ago; I think the year-'03-it opened). It wasn't too exciting at first when the worms weren't immediately next to the glass (the light was some red color like in a photo lab, I guess to simulate darkness). Hopefully we're both talking about the aquarium in Jenks, Oklahoma (not the Oklahoma City Zoo).

I'm not sure when I saw it (at least a few years ago; I think the year-'03-it opened). It wasn't too exciting at first when the worms weren't immediately next to the glass (the light was some red color like in a photo lab, I guess to simulate darkness). Hopefully we're both talking about the aquarium in Jenks, Oklahoma (not the Oklahoma City Zoo).

Yep - thats the one - big walk-through shark tank, swimming pool filled with tangs and angels. Went once with Amber, and twice with my research group (I was at UArk doing a summer research internship). Got to hang out on the catwalk above the shark tank during feeding and do all the behind-the-scenes stuff, see their shark quarantine tanks and a couple of HUGE and very mean sea turtles.

They did have quite a few red light exhibits, but they were filled with lobsters and such...guess the fireworms didn't attract enough interest?

THERES THE PICS

me in red shirt:

photo093.jpg

grumpy turtles:

photo025.jpg

above the shark tank:

photo034.jpg

Archived