Innovative Marine Aquariums

5.5 Gallon Pico by Dooderino

Dooderino

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thatdog2202

Very nice setup. I was curious about what kind of spray paint you used? I was looking at doing a similar false wall, but was worried about the paint and the saltwater.

Wow. It looks really nice. The black sand looks much better and makes everything pop. Wheres the acro frag??
It's on top of the "palm tree", as the GF calls it. I will try to take a picture tonight.

Very nice setup. I was curious about what kind of spray paint you used? I was looking at doing a similar false wall, but was worried about the paint and the saltwater.

I used some stuff from Krylon that is use on plastics. Stuff might crash my whole tank but I just let it dry in the sun for a day before installing it in the tank.

black moon sand?
I guess, to be honest I'm not sure. I was in my LFS and there was a bag of black sand on the floor. Bag was old and scuffed up. Couldn't read a thing.

Both of my Anemone Crabs shed their skins. Made a mess IMO. I did catch my pom pom out and about again. I wish he was more visible. Cute little guy.

PomPom.jpg

Good stuff Dood! Tell me again why you have the circle of unpainted false wall there please.

lets light through for the macro algae

• 3 weeks later...
wait, so are you going to leave that hole next to the powerhead hole just open like that?
It's not a hole. It's unpainted acrylic.

OOOOooh. I see. I didn't notice those "skimmer teeth" things, sorry if you already mentioned it, but why didn't you paint it?

Well it's been quite awhile since I posted pics and made an update. Everything is doing great. I've only had one snail die. I added an small emerald crab to try and fight the GHA that is on my zoa frag. The pompom comes out every night now. I attached the frog spawn to a frag mag and moved some stuff around. Here are some pictures from day 21 and day 40.

Here it sits.

PicoDay004017.jpg

Yuma Ric

PicoDay00211.jpg

Random shot

PicoDay00213.jpg

Orange Florida Ric

PicoDay00214.jpg

Zoa frag, Flaming Star

PicoDay00401.jpg

Hungry

PicoDay00402.jpg

Big Anemone Crab

PicoDay00407.jpg

Small Anemone Crab

PicoDay004010.jpg

Pompom in it's cave.

PicoDay004013.jpg

tarajean0627

Nice tank! I love the black sand. Was going to do this in mine but I thought it was too fine. Do you have any problems keeping it clean? Does it cloud easily when moved? Also how are your porceleans and pom pom crab getting along? Any fighting? These are what I would love to put in my tank too. :) Again nice tank.

Sarah

Nice tank! I love the black sand. Was going to do this in mine but I thought it was too fine. Do you have any problems keeping it clean? Does it cloud easily when moved? Also how are your porceleans and pom pom crab getting along? Any fighting? These are what I would love to put in my tank too. :) Again nice tank.

Sarah

No fighting at all. The pompom stays near the sand and the porcelains stay near the top. I rinced the sand and "sifted" the tiny stuff out before I added it. No clouding.

Thanks for the compliment!

Do you top off with the Pinot Grigio or the Cabernet?

I prefer merlot. :D

Sweet, sweet pics!

The tank looks so nice on that table! Gorgeous yuma shots and I love the crab crew. What a nice mix of creatures altogether.

--Diane

PicoDay0010009.jpg

PicoDay0010010.jpg

I hope you know what im talking about but here goes: You know that tube looking thing that looks like its connected to the LR, actually it looks like LR, but i remember seeing something like that and it was from a dead feather duster worm tube. Is that whats placed in your tank?

Archived