Top Shelf Aquatics

Science Fair Project

John30507

Seventh grade at my school is famous for the trip to Skiddaway Island, and the science fair. Of course I want to do something with saltwater. I was thinking a biotope, but I am not sure what I should do. I do have varying tank sizes available, but I don't want to make anything too large because it will be moved around. It will be put together at the middle school, then moved to the high school. The teacher has a budget, and I have my own money as well. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. The teacher has a saltwater tank, so I do have some resources from her. Please help me with ideas of any biotope that I should make for a science fair. I don't need a lot of information, just ideas. Research is a part of the grade. I will have to come up with an idea, research it, then present the idea to the teacher. I was thinking a tide pool, but I was looking at other options. I just thought of an octopus, but I don't think that is feasible. Help is greatly appreciated.

I also just thought of a mantis tank. I want to do something interesting. Scallops would be cool too. Please help with ideas.

I know it seems obvious to anyone who has kept corals before, but why not showcase just an easy to care for LPS like a caulastrea specimen? (trumpet coral, candycane coral)

You could take pictures of it while feeding with its tentacles extended and then the display would show the coral while it is closed up. I think it could be a rather striking display to have large images of the coral while feeding and then a person looks into the tank and sees the obvious change when it is not feeding.

Maybe you could even talk about how it has algae in its skin (zooxanthelia) and photosynthesis is taking place.

For the judging, you might try feeding the coral and letting people watch as its tentacles come out.

You could do this in a very small tank and it would be very easy to do.

I also just thought of a mantis tank. I want to do something interesting. Scallops would be cool too. Please help with ideas.

Do a mantis tank, but include some mushrooms and do a piece about fragging them. That is, take some shrooms, cut em off the rocks and slice em to pieces, then document the process of them coming back together.

lakshwadeep

For the mantis idea, you should focus on the mantis' eyes because they have actually only animals with hyperspectral color vision (i.e. trinocular vision in each eye-we have binocular vision).

TheUnfocusedOne

Get that G. Viridis from stomatopod

ive got one myself and i absolutly love him

within a few weeks hes extremely lively, and eats alot

my fav thing is him comming out n staring at me

maybe one of my fav pets ever

Archived