SaltCritters.com

RO/DI Unit from ebay?

Blacktone

are the filters standardized or will I need to get them special order? Like available at lowes or Home depot?

they work good if your tap water is at about 100-150 tds. If you have to reduce more than 150 then the performance will start decreasing as the higher you go. If you are in the 400-600 range, for get about it and get a really good one.

they work good if your tap water is at about 100-150 tds. If you have to reduce more than 150 then the performance will start decreasing as the higher you go. If you are in the 400-600 range, for get about it and get a really good one.

Not true... My water is in the 160-200 TDS range (depending on the season which determines the water source) and I've had my WaterGeneral system for over a year and it's still making 0 TDS water for me.

Not true... My water is in the 160-200 TDS range (depending on the season which determines the water source) and I've had my WaterGeneral system for over a year and it's still making 0 TDS water for me.

mmm I don’t see how is not true, your are not that far from the range I was stating. What TDS meter are you using?

These units are not as good as higher quality ones if your TDS levels are too high.

I have the WG 6 stage with DI. Only 80-90 TDS in but 0 out. Filterdirect was quick to ship and everything arrived fine.

Hey guys, are these hard to hook up?

I have absolutely NO plumbing skills and neither does my husband, but I'm thinking of getting an RO/DI.

Instructions are good and it is pretty self explainatory. Depending on which hookup you use (I used the under sink inline hook up, not pierce valve) it can take 30 minutes or so with no snags.

You will have to install a "T" inline under the sink to feed the system and run the hose to the unit. Then you will need to drill a hole in the drain pipe underneath the sink and install the wastewater drain with supplied hardware. All of the hook ups on the unit itself are simple and can be done mostly by hand and everything is color coded. Of course you'll have to have it going somewhere, I bought a float switch from them and hooked it up the same way as everything else and it works great.

This is the experience I had with the unit I got from filtersdirect on ebay. The only thing I had to replace/purchase extra was a flex hose for my feed line because my house is eleventy billion years old and I think Jesus made the original one.

All in all anyone who can install a faucet can definately install this unit.

This is a slightly abbreviated version but if you have any specific questions PM me.

Instructions are good and it is pretty self explainatory. Depending on which hookup you use (I used the under sink inline hook up, not pierce valve) it can take 30 minutes or so with no snags.

You will have to install a "T" inline under the sink to feed the system and run the hose to the unit. Then you will need to drill a hole in the drain pipe underneath the sink and install the wastewater drain with supplied hardware. All of the hook ups on the unit itself are simple and can be done mostly by hand and everything is color coded. Of course you'll have to have it going somewhere, I bought a float switch from them and hooked it up the same way as everything else and it works great.

This is the experience I had with the unit I got from filtersdirect on ebay. The only thing I had to replace/purchase extra was a flex hose for my feed line because my house is eleventy billion years old and I think Jesus made the original one.

All in all anyone who can install a faucet can definately install this unit.

This is a slightly abbreviated version but if you have any specific questions PM me.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Thing is, I CAN'T install a faucet and neither can hubby!

NO plumbing experience or ability at all!!

I want an RO/DI but I'm very uncertain about whether or not we could install it.

I want an RO/DI but I'm very uncertain about whether or not we could install it.

I still think you could figure it out. However, it is no fun to get halfway through a plumbing project only to find out you cannot finish it. Maybe you could see how much a plumber would charge to install it, may be worth a few hours labor to have someone do it.

Tennessee is a bit of a drive or I would come give you a hand. Any friends who can plumb?

they also make an adapter to hook up to ur garden hose.

just get a tap valve. it basically clamps around your water line and then pierces a tiny hole, and you connect your RO line to the valve. you can also get a larger tap valve for your drain line, or you can hook up the RO/DI unit in your laundry room, where you can tap into the cold water line for your washer for your source water and then run the waste water line down the drain for your washer. then you just have to mount the thing on the wall :)

I still think you could figure it out. However, it is no fun to get halfway through a plumbing project only to find out you cannot finish it. Maybe you could see how much a plumber would charge to install it, may be worth a few hours labor to have someone do it.

Tennessee is a bit of a drive or I would come give you a hand. Any friends who can plumb?

My dad can do it but he's so busy with work and everything that it would probably take forever for him to get to it. Same thing with BibleSue's husband, he can do it but he'd take forever to get around to it.

I suppose I could ask knoxvegas or maybe my other NR friend in town.

I'm just afraid I'd get it and it'll sit around for 3 months gathering dust.

I'll probably go ahead and do it though. With all the tank problems I've had lately, I've started to wonder if the Wal-Mart distilled water I'm using might somehow be a part of the problem.

Thanks for all the input.

get the rodi. its real easy to hook up and only takes about 10 minutes. hell i bet we could walk u through the process on here if it came down to it.

My dad can do it but he's so busy with work and everything that it would probably take forever for him to get to it. Same thing with BibleSue's husband, he can do it but he'd take forever to get around to it.

I suppose I could ask knoxvegas or maybe my other NR friend in town.

I'm just afraid I'd get it and it'll sit around for 3 months gathering dust.

I'll probably go ahead and do it though. With all the tank problems I've had lately, I've started to wonder if the Wal-Mart distilled water I'm using might somehow be a part of the problem.

Thanks for all the input.

i've known several people that have had alkalinity problems because of distilled water. somebody explained to me once the whole chemical reason why distilled leads to KH/pH problems, but i can't remember why. all i know is switching to RO water fixed the problem for those people.

and seriously, get the tap valve. if you or your husband can tighten a screw, you can use a tap valve to install your RO/DI unit.

lanceleaderx

any body know anything about the replacement DI ?? there are two on ebay one is DI (de-mineralize) another one is DI (De-Ionized) which one should i get ?? de-mineralize one is green and de-ionized is in orange color ??

bump

any body know anything about the replacement DI ?? there are two on ebay one is DI (de-mineralize) another one is DI (De-Ionized) which one should i get ?? de-mineralize one is green and de-ionized is in orange color ??

bump

Sounds like they're both the same type of membrane. Just make sure they fit by size. DI resins are usually replaced by refilling the container with the resin (bueish-green balls).

It's been a few months since I looked at the RO/DI units on ebay. Is filterdirect still the guy everyone recommends?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WaterGeneral-RO-DI-2OU...1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the one I got (not same model, but same company) and I've not had a single problem with it since installation.

Hey guys, are these hard to hook up?

I have absolutely NO plumbing skills and neither does my husband, but I'm thinking of getting an RO/DI.

I don't think it's any more difficult than installing a sump. If you live in a house and have a hose faucet, than it's really easy. Just remember to get the right adapter for your installation type.

I put mine "in-line" under the sink and it took less than 30 minutes.

Oh, and there is also a sink faucet adapter that you can use to hook up the unit so you can connect and disconnect whenever you're using it without doing inline plumbing.

mmm I don’t see how is not true, your are not that far from the range I was stating. What TDS meter are you using?

These units are not as good as higher quality ones if your TDS levels are too high.

still not true.. mine is 400-550, I have this unit and I have a result of 0 PPM. Get a good one sounds like an oxymoron. Either it works or it doesn't. Two thumbs up here.

Archived