SaltCritters.com

Angels in a 10 gallon???

Phish

Steve-Ward.net

Thanks for the pointers.

The past week he has started to show signs of being cramped and I've observed the first signs of a clash with the roommate, so I'm selling him back to my LFS in favor of one or two TR neon gobies.

• 4 weeks later...

I would stay away from the three stripe...MEAN I have one and it killed my clown, two other damsels, and my pseudo

as for the angel in the 10.. I wouldnt have done it and wouldnt but if it works for you then what the heck... a friend of mine has two blue discus in a 20 l... go figure

I have to disagree with "2 fish is 1 too many for a 10". I have 3 chromis in my ten gallon, and they aren't stressed out. Infact, they exibit their natural behavior, and even spawn about once a month. Large fish are the problem in any numbers, if they are in a nano.

• 1 month later...

Dont get an angel for a 10 gallon. If you want an exsotic fish that wont die go for one of those really rare firefish. You said price didnt matter they run for about 200 dollars on drfosterandsmith.com

Try living in one room with food that pops out the cieling every couple of days. for the rest of your life. You will see how it feels.

I don't see the problem with keeping an angel in a very well established 10 gallon tank. Provided there is ample food source, shelter, rock work that provides enough nitches for it to cruise in and out of. I have had dearf centropayge in a 10 gallon tank before, and they have thrived for years.

BUT,........

DO NOT ATEMPT TO KEEP ANGELS IN A SMALL TANK IF YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERIENCED REEFER, OR IF YOU HAVE A SET-UP OF LESS THAN ONE YEAR.

If you have no experience with angels in larger tanks, then don't expect to do well with them in a small tank.

Every fish is different. Some coral Beauties will nop at everything, others will nip at nothing.

I had a flame angel that LOVED clam mantels and SPS slime. I had another one in that same tank a year later, and it bothered nothing for 3 years. I also had a coral beauty in that tank who only would occasionaly swim by and harass my feather dusters, while in another tank, he would pester my Whelos and Lobo Brains. I decided to put BOTH the brains in the tank with him and the feather dusters. he left the featherdusters a lone, and went for the brains. I took the brains out, he went right back to pestering the dusters.

There are bizzare habits that some fish take up, and I can't explain it anyother way except than to equate it to a "Personality".

IMHO,

Best reccomendation, get a 29 gallon tank or larger if you wish to keep multiple fish or angels, and get some experience with them BEFORE putting them in a 10 gallon.

It can be done, but you need to have a very good understanding of STRESS and i a fish is "OK" in its surroundings, or whether it is going to stressout and die in a small enclosure.

I used to keep a Centropyge argii in an 18 gallon - mine was kind of territorial with the clown also in there. I would say you might get away with it in a 10 but a 20 long would be better for the fish.

I personally would not keep any of the regular 'dwarf' angels in anything less than probably a 29 or even a 55 - they do get to 4" or more on most species other than the aforementioned argi (maybe the flameback too dunno).

ive noticed the behaviour of different numbers of fish in a 10 gallons, as well as examined the "bio load" between similar tanks with different numbers.

the two tanks in question are 12gallon jbj tanks one with 1 false clown, and 1 yellow watchman. the next tank has 1 maroon clown, 1 firefish, and 1 randall's goby. the addition of the firefish was on accident because the randalls goby was assumed dead, but then reappeared.

first, fish behaviour. fish seem to really like other fish, and a goby only cuts it half the time. when the goby is in the upper water column the clowns are more playful and are more likely to travel around the tank instead of hide in a corner.

however as alot of you who have gobies know, they rarely swim to the upper water column.

when the firefish was added, the clown really came to life, and no i dont mean he tried to attack it. but the clown just seems alot happier, swimming around larger area's etc..

i recently did a full water workup on both tanks, and yes nitrates were a little higher in the 3 fish tank, but still very very low. the difference of say 0ppm and 10ppm.

i own the tank with only 2 fish in it, and i must say my clown looks awefully lonely, im moving up to a 20g + 8g fuge and will definitely add another fish to the mix when i do that, so that the clown has a "buddy"

im not condoning the addition of more fish than a nano supports, but putting a social fish, or a fish that likes to be paired, seperately in a nano can be just as cruel imho.

im just saying ... if your only going to keep one fish, make sure its a loner.

I have a 12 gallon with good flow......via aqua skimmer......1 pygmy angel, 1 yellow watchman, 1 coral banded shrimp, snails and hermits. ALL DOING WELL FOR ABOUT MONTHS NOW!! I would not put anything else in the tank after the angel. He may seem non aggressive now, but the longer they stay in the tank...the more territorial they get. I tried to add a perc. clown. Two days later he was dead due to constant harrassment by the angel.

Kyle says.. OMG smfyr241 Killed Klownie

U BASTARDZ !

:D

yeah turf wars suck.

Try to add BOTH fish at the same time when possible. All the more reason to make sure your set up is FULLY MATURE to toss in an increased bioload.

My 10 gallon has a Marinebetta and an Ocie in it. THe clown and him indeed are best buddies. At times the clown nessles right up to the ( Calloplesiops altivelis ) Master ( his name) Betta ... hurr hur...... get it ? and its totaly nifty.

fish are indeed social animals.... but then there are loners also.

Damn Dave, how big is your betta? As far as I knew, an ocie would be perfect snack-size for an adult one. But then, given the size of full-grown bettas, I doubt even you'd attempt to keep a grown adult in a 10g.

MK, actualy they are small fish.

they just look big because of the large finnage.

their actual body mass is less than that of an adult Perk clown.

I have rarely seen a Betta over 6 inches in lenght.

A super doscile fish and hearty as hell. not very picky either it eats what I offer, and recognises "feeding time" and me. :)

Cool, learn something new every day. What do you feed it? I've heard of people using mollies and goldfish, which is why an ocellaris seemed munchable.

nope

no live feeders. There really is no need.

Too much chance of disease, and wrong fatty acids.

I used guppies that I raised as weening fodder, and got it switched over to live brine, then dead brine, and onto prauns.

It eats flake too (Omega 1). takes time and perserverance, but eventualy, they will be super pets :)

Don't the bettas have huge jaws? So out of the 8" they're supposed to grow, how much of that is actually the body? I can't believe that your betta is happy in a 10 gallon! If you have yours in a small tank with a false perc, then would a goby and a blenny stand a chance in a 20 long with one (this could solve my problem for the final fish to add)?

Archived