Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Angels in a 10 gallon???

Phish

What kind of angel fish can you put in a 10 gallon?

I want to know the size, temperment, common name, and cost if possible.

Thank you soo much, I really need the help.

Phish: I think that would be cruel to the fish. I think that even the smallest dwarf angels would present a much larger bio load than your 10G tank could take.

So are you saying that a 10 gallon is too small for a... Flame Angel? Or that my tank cant handle one Angelfish. (I will have a strong filter, good cleaning crew, and live rock/sand, will that make it better? If not tell me 'cuz I am a noob)

This is what I wanted. (Dont be too hard on me, plus I was told by someone here that a small angel would work in a 10 gallon.)

For a 10 gallon (I Think this is too much)

1 Flame Back Angel, Brazilian and a Royal Gramma or; 1 Flame Angel and a Royal Gramma

2 Cleaner Shrimp OR; a sally lightfoot crab.

I don’t know what kind of fish are compatible or if they are too big for the tank. (But I heard this would work, please tell me if I am wrong, I dont want to give these beautiful fish a bad home)

i think an angel would require more room than a 10 gallon anyway as they are active swimmers (i think i've never had one personally)

Damn, that makes this whole thing almost worthless, I only really like. Angelfish, Butterfly fish, I know they all love larger tanks but someone told me (here) that ONE would work in a tank this size.

I looked here for nano-reef fish and I only found like 5 fish, and I dont like any of them, are there any exotic fish you can recomend for a Nano-reef 10 gallon? Price is no problem (for the fish, but size is a large problem for the tank) I've got a 40 gallon fresh water, but I dont have enough to make that a salt tank.

If its fish you like, then a nano-reef is not what you want!

DO NOT PUT ANY ANGEL IN A TANK THAT SMALL, IT WILL DIE.........SOONER OR LATER!

pygmy angels are recommended in atleast a 20g but i'd say that was too small.

buy a bigger tank!

All I have to say is that I am ashamed at the treatment you are getting on this question.

I agree that a 10 is probably too small for a flame angel, but you need to know why this is so. From my understanding, they need much more room to swim and much more stringent water parameters that are considerably more difficult to maintain in a 10 gallon.

Search this website, hopefully someone has answered this question in a more civil manner before.

I am far from an expert. I hope that someone with more knowledge and a considerable amount of tact will post here and let you know the real why's and pitfalls of keeping an angel in a 10g.

"NO WAY” is not a response, but an exercise in ignorance.

it should be noted that pygmy angels can, and usually do, nip at corals. there are a few pygmies that are stunning (eibili for one) but the risk of coral nipping isn't worth it.

as for not putting them in a 10 gallon due to size, I agree that it's a bad idea. They like a lot of room for swimming around and a 10 just isn't big enough.

Winter, there was no use in calling me out, the others had addressed why it should not be in the tank and I was just letting him no my stand on it. He can take that however he/she wants and calling me ignorant is just you being a dick

Dustin, your post was the second post in this thread (not counting the starters second post). The first post said nothing other than bioload.

Your average beginner knows next to nothing about bioload in a saltwater tank let alone a nano-reef tank so a fish that gets to about 4-5 inches in size sounds like it will work. We know this is not always true. Let him know your stance on it by providing him with information about the situation, you obviously have some knowledge regarding the question.

And I must apologize, your post of simply "NO WAY" was not ignorant. It was stupid. Quite simply you know better and ignorance implies that you didn't know better. Caps is yelling in forums. So basically you offered no help to this poster, and no help to anyone who runs across this thread by using the search button.

You were a beginner once. would that kind of a post have helped you? Your post was an example, as maybe only one other post in this thread offered anything. Yours was just the most bothersome.

And calling me a dick just proves my case. thank you.

Well, its not JUST the fish I want, I like all of it, I guess its kind of like having your cake and eating it too right??? Any way I looked them up (Flame, Flame back, royal gramma) They all get about the same size, and are all supposed to live in at least 20 gallon tanks, But, I have read lots of posts here saying they have a 10 gallon, with a royal gramma and usually a clown or something, so I figured that, If a Royal Gramma need's 20 but these guys keep them in a 10 an angel should work. (And just so you guys know, I have had fresh water for 12 years, I do have a larger 40 gallon aquarium but I have limited funds...) Well thanks a lot for the info, you guys are great.

I have a flame angel in a 20, and I think that its too small. My girlfriend, who loves him to death, even thinks he looks cramped. I really wouldn't put an angel in a 10g if I were you. They really swim alot. Royal Grammas are not known for there swimming. Angels are.

But, you will do what you want to do. Just think about it please.

Ohh no, I am for sure not going to put an angel in a 10 gallon now. But what about a Royal Gramma, and a Fire Goby. would that work?

Thanks a lot.

Ok, needed to come back to this thread at a better time...

First off, sorry to Phish and Winter. I have been having a bad week and just wanted to take a few low blows at any person, and figured that since you stepped up to the plate I would throw one a little inside on ya. Sorry again. Royal gramma and goby would be sweet. That is actually one of the most popular fish choices. Again, let me say sorry for my ignorance, I am usually the one on the other side of the argument...

No problem Dustin, but your 'Ignorance' was helpful and illustrated just how bad of a decision I wanted to make, so no hard feelings, Just make sure to help me with some of my post question.

I've had a yellow angel in my ten gallon for a while now. Its completley happy! Just dont crowd it with other fish, caves and other hiding spots, proper water conditions and it will be fine!

Steve-Ward.net

Okay, so first off, I should admit I'm fairly new to nano-reefs, and I will concede that I should do more research before I purchase a fish next time. :blush:

That being said, my tank's (10g with good flow) sole fish was an Ocellaris Clown (tank raised) until a few weeks ago when I was at the LFS and a blue and yellow Pygmy Angel struck my fancy. My tank has been up for over two months now, I should add, with plenty of live rock and clean up crew.

The LFS people said it should be okay, so I brought it home. It took to the tank remarkably and it gets along with the Clown, for lack of a better word, smashingly. I even see them palling around together practically holding hands.

After prompting from a friend to go buy some frozen food made specifically for pygmy angels, I feed it the frozen stuff 2-3 times a week, mixing it up with Formula One and Two the rest of the week.

It loves exploring the nooks and crannies of the rock work and I've never spotted it nibbling at my corals.

Now, after being on here and reading some of the threads (particularly this one), none of the behaviors I've read to watch out for seem to apply. My angel clearly isn't aggressive towards the clown, etc.

So how do I know if it is crowded and time to take it back to the LFS?

Or do most of these comments just apply towards the more popular flame angels (I haven't even been able to discern the name of my particular pygmy)? There's a picture below.

Also, I was thinking of adding a three-stripe damsel or a couple tank raised neon gobies to the mix, although, if the angel adds as much bioload as many people suggest, I recognize this could be a recipe for disaster, so I'm not married to the idea by any means.

On a completely unrelated topic, in a few weeks I'm moving over 100 miles away to start grad school. Can someone point me in the direction of a good thread about medium-distance moves such as mine? I'd like to get some information on how to manage it. I'm already planning to make the final moving trip just to move the fish, after everything else is set up and I've started living there.

Thanks,

Steve

You should not exceed 2 fish in a 10 gallon tank, And I think your angel fish will get to 2.5-3.5" How long is it now? And they say that Angel fish do bite coral (I have had some in a larger tank that have) and they need a lot of swimming space, your fish probably needs a 30 gallon tank, Maybe a 20 gallon.

Thanks for the Info, Good luck, Dont add ONE MORE FISH to that 10 gallon tank.

maroonclown

I have to say, for a flame angel, 10 gallons is a little small. Some of the tiny angels could be kept in a ten, but I'd personally run a 15 gallon. What you should do is build a tank, and give it the following demensions: 24"X10"X10", or 24"X10"X12". Those tanks are about 10-13 gallons. the longer shape gives the fish more space to swim, plus they have a bigger surface area than a standard 10-12 gallon tank. And fish size is not accurate for judging bio-load, although it is better than nothing. Size doesn't equal metabolisim, and that old "one inch of fish per two gallons of water", doesn't always apply to every fish. For example, gobies are long slender fish, but, in a 10 gallon tank, you could have 4-6 neon gobies, at 2 inches each. Just four fish equal 8", 5=10", and 6=12" of fish. 6 fish equals 1.2" of fish per gallon and so on. My suggestion is, go for it, but remember that this is very risky, and a "reef" is almost out of the question. Keep it as the only fish, with mabye a cleaner shrimp, and a large clean-up crew. Having said that, good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve-Ward.net,

In regards to the angel, I suggest using just simple observation and common sense: if he looks like he is thriving, he probably is and you won't have to change anything. It looks like a cherub which is the pygmy of pygmy angels. However, if he looks stressed or sick, remove him immediately. Assuming you catch the reefer bug, and you probably will, you will probably get another tank soon and I would suggest getting a bigger one to house the angel, just to play it safe.

For the move, I would move your corals and fish to a large bucket or cooler and circulate with a powerhead and perhaps keep it warm with a heater. You can buy cigarette adaptors to plug the ph and heater in your car at walmart for like 25 bucks. Leave 2-3 gallons in the tank to keep the sand bed 'alive'. You may also want to move your LR to another bucket with circulation, or just put all the LR and livestock in one large bucket. Circulation is important in the bucket with your livestock. It shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to get to your new place. I am setting up my 20 nano at college and I will experience the same thing during christmas break and i've given it a pretty good amount of thought. Also, search on reefcentral.com, I think people ask this question regularly. HTH and good luck with your tank!

JC

I know that sometimes its misleading when you go to a fish store and you see that really sweet fish you want to buy and its only like 1-2inches big...and its hard to know at first which fish will end up 9 inches long or 13 inches long or which one will end up at 3 inches

The best thing to do would be to go to your local aquarium...here in Los Angeles I go to the Aquarium of the Pacific and you can see how large and impressive many of the fish get.

My sister wanted me to get a hippo tang, and until I took her to the Aquarium to show her how big they got she realized that it would not work.

The cute little Tangs at the LFS...or in your case the cute little Angels get really big, it would be cool to check them out in an Aquarium so you can see it and know for yourself, because first hand experience is better than us just telling you they get big.

:)B)

Archived