ReefCleaners.org

Seagrasses and Macroalgaes

dshnarw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lol, four of those sites aren't accepting orders. Oy vey! :)

yeah...a lot of them stop taking orders until summer :(

Doesn't help me any - I need some macros! :)

you can try asking the folks at marineplantedtanks.com/forum/ to see if they can help you out with some.

lakshwadeep

I recently purchased the 2008 annual Marine Fish and Reef USA magazine. It has an article on keeping seagrasses that would be great for anyone wanting some detailed information.

johnmaloney

You should be careful about posting that you take sea grasses. Under Florida law they are highly protected, and poaching comes with huge fines in the 10k-100k range, depending on how much you take. I think it is also a misdemeanor per specimen. They are an important food source for both the manatee and the sea turtle. Accepting poached contraband is also illegal. Be careful about that, it is a sensible policy to replace the large areas where sea grasses have been devastated, and fisherman especially will be upset if you take out their fishing spots. Macro algae is fine if you have a commercial license and a retail license, just don't take caulerpa, shaving brush, or halimeda, you will need a marine life endorsement, which run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Jere-- its not illegal for me to collect some grasses when I dive-- I can try and take some pics of the different stuff we have here and if you want some of it, lemme know. We do work with the Dept of marine fisheries so we get a collections permit and i'd have to get ALOT of stuff before i broke the law!

I'm not 100% positive, but in Florida your fishing license allows you to harvest alot of things, check your local laws too, anyway as far as I know, taking Seagrass in Florida from your boat, makes you eligible for the "Florida donate your boat program!!"

hehehehehehe!

This is why I check licenses of those who want to fish on my boat!

You should check FWC or other state website. You would be suprised what is protected. Ship it out of state and you get into a lot of other scenarios for fines and such. If you think people don't get caught, your wrong. I have seeen people just take their cell phone to photograph people and get them prosecuted over single fish.

You should check FWC or other state website. You would be suprised what is protected. Ship it out of state and you get into a lot of other scenarios for fines and such. If you think people don't get caught, your wrong. I have seeen people just take their cell phone to photograph people and get them prosecuted over single fish.

Please stop raining on my parade. We're all intelligent, responsible adults here - let us worry with the legality (or illegality, if it may be) of collecting, kthx.

kmitch, the only grass I'd be looking for is probably Halophila. Mostly I'm trying to get Dictyota and smaller Sargassum sp. But I'll take what I can get! :flower:

SeeDemTails
You should be careful about posting that you take sea grasses. Under Florida law they are highly protected, and poaching comes with huge fines in the 10k-100k range, depending on how much you take. I think it is also a misdemeanor per specimen. They are an important food source for both the manatee and the sea turtle. Accepting poached contraband is also illegal. Be careful about that, it is a sensible policy to replace the large areas where sea grasses have been devastated, and fisherman especially will be upset if you take out their fishing spots. Macro algae is fine if you have a commercial license and a retail license, just don't take caulerpa, shaving brush, or halimeda, you will need a marine life endorsement, which run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I didn't say I was going to, I just said you could, and easily, and to be honest, no one would care. Cutting mangroves is a way more frowned upon offense that people would call the FWC on you for.

And trust me, I know all about how pissed fishermen can get, my husbands a professional fishing guide. Tail Hunter Charters - Capt. Billy Rotne

You know whats funny though, is I watch flats boats churn huge troughs through flats of sea grass on a daily basis....Killing more in 30 seconds than we could ever use in our tanks.

And for the record, I kept a 100 gal biotope tank with baby snook, redfish, trout, tarpon, black drum, with a huge live mangrove in it, and two types of sea grass, widgeon and turtle, and a shop light hanging 5 feet above the tank lighting it all. I got rid of it when I moved, released all the fish and planted the mangrove near ponce inlet and the sea grass was planted in propeller scars on the flats of mosquito lagoon. No, I dont feel guilty or care about the legalities. One of our friends who is an FWC officer actually saw the tank and thought it was awesome. He said it made the FWC aquaculture facility look like petsmart lol.

johnmaloney

Sorry about that, I am not trying to rain on your parade, I would just hate for someone to go to jail and pay huge fines for a few blades of grass. I know that you can be smart about taking a little, and god knows the boaters do way more damage in a day than you could. I just didn't want somebody to get into a lot of trouble for something that didn't seem wrong. Sorry if I offended you. There are legal ways to go about it in Florida, you just have to be properly permitted and have the right licenses, and be in the designated areas. The only reason I even brought it up was there was a guy I saw at one of the bridges I dive the other day being arrested for taking a few small pieces of liverock. He had no idea that a rock could be protected, I don't even think he understood the importance of liverock, he just thought it looked cool. The lady from FWC didn't care.

On a side note, that is my dream tank! I so want a baby snook and a tarpon! I can't risk it though as I am currently a Soil & Water Conservation Supervisor, and I pretty sure they would kick me out of office for that. :(

The fish would probably have a better chance of survival if they grew up a little in a tank like yours before they went out into the wild. I wish I could get in that headstart baby sea turtle program.

:huh:

I think providing a little advice on a site like this shouldn't be considered raining on a parade, since this is what the site is for. Fact is, most people who get in trouble never knew what the laws were. Also, people in Florida do get very protective of the stuff that lives here, even the grass. I have met many people like Captain Billy and they have to go farther and farther out and have limits that make it very hard for them to make a living. With new restrictions, recreational fishing in the Gulf is pretty much shot. Excuse us if we don't want peopel just pulling stuff out of the water here and taking it home. There are sites that sell the stuff and have a liscense too. Spend the 6 bucks to buy some from an aquaculture site.

:huh:

I think providing a little advice on a site like this shouldn't be considered raining on a parade, since this is what the site is for. Fact is, most people who get in trouble never knew what the laws were. Also, people in Florida do get very protective of the stuff that lives here, even the grass. I have met many people like Captain Billy and they have to go farther and farther out and have limits that make it very hard for them to make a living. With new restrictions, recreational fishing in the Gulf is pretty much shot. Excuse us if we don't want peopel just pulling stuff out of the water here and taking it home. There are sites that sell the stuff and have a liscense too. Spend the 6 bucks to buy some from an aquaculture site.

Please stop raining on my parade. We're all intelligent, responsible adults here - let us worry with the legality (or illegality, if it may be) of collecting, kthx.

We get your point. Enough, already.

SeeDemTails

LOL I am currently going to school for marine sciences so that one day I can work with the coral reef conservation program in the keys.

Also, I have personally laid over 50 grass plugs, basically a panty hose filled with mud, sand, and grass seeds/shoots, which is then laid in the prop scar to fill in and help regrow the damaged grass. I have also been to three mangrove pantings, where we planted both red and white mangroves.

I feel no guilt what so ever in the fact I propagated these species in my tank. The problem comes when people who dont know what they are doing attempt this and kill the animals and plants.

My husband and I are both extremely conservation minded, my husband only catches and releases fish, so limits are no issue anyway, there should be no limits, as a matter of fact we shouldnt even be able to keep many species. And it isnt that hard to catch fish or see a beautiful location when you are near the coast of east central florida......Have you ever seen ponce inlet or mosquito lagoon?

I just see a lot of people who preach conservation, but never take part in it. Do your part to make tomorrow better.

Archived