inTank Media Baskets

My 20gal: A photo journal

mmelnick

Just an updated FTS. I've added some green nepthea and 2 types of zoas. They are the red and yellow colonies that I still have on the sand.

FTS5-25-08.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
those macro algae are called hallimeda i think.

The algae is halimeda... but I was actually referring to the "branching" object behind it. Thanks to members helping out in another thread we have determined that it is probably a sea cucumber of some sort.

Those mushrooms on the right side are fantastic!

Tank looks great. :)

and thanks BKtomodachi, I can't even believe how much they have grown since I got them

ThiefofAlways
Here is a shot of the new shrooms as promised. They aren't all that cool, but not too bad considering that the guy traded them for a 1"X1" piece of GSP. They have yet to open fully, but I'm sure that if I just give em a few days to settle in they'll do fine.

newshrooms3-7-08.jpg

they are dam cool. wish I could get seeded LR :)

\Amazing tank mate!

JourneyReef

That branching thing kind of looks like a basket star...let us know! There are lots of varieties but your's looks like the type that lives on candelabra gorgonias in the wild.

• 3 weeks later...
That branching thing kind of looks like a basket star...let us know! There are lots of varieties but your's looks like the type that lives on candelabra gorgonias in the wild.

I'm pretty sure that it's a sedentary sea cucumber. The basket stars all have horizontal branches (like a starfish), but this guy spreads the tentacles upwards. And when I looked at it closer it was attached to a purple sea cucumber that came a s a hitchhiker on my first batch of LR.

• 1 month later...

well, I picked this firefish up for $9.99 at the Grand Reopening at my LFS. I lost a clown a few weeks ago. She just disappeared. But I still have the nicer clown and now a firefish. They are getting along great. And I may add a yellow clown goby soon.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

I also got these green zoas for $5

newgreenzoas7-22-08.jpg

Edit:

Here's a shot of my red zoas. I like to post pics periodically to keep track of how they've been growing.

redzoas7-2-08.jpg

• 2 months later...
nice tank! which stores do you go to in co? i just started a nano and would love all the help ican get

I usually go to Premier Fish and Reef. It's in Denver (Littleton actually) off of wadsworth near hwy 285.

Let me know if you ever want to swap some frags. I also have frags for sale most of the time so PM me if you are interested.

jmigchelbrink
I usually go to Premier Fish and Reef. It's in Denver (Littleton actually) off of wadsworth near hwy 285.

Let me know if you ever want to swap some frags. I also have frags for sale most of the time so PM me if you are interested.

You guys in D town are lucky. Everything up north is so much more expensive

You guys in D town are lucky. Everything up north is so much more expensive

Yeah, and all of the stores I've seen up north have horrible selection and filthy tanks that look like aiptasia breeding tanks.

jmigchelbrink

There's one I like, front range aquatics. Its pretty new, all saltwater, nice owner. But most are garbage. Mandarins in ten gallon tanks with no lr, rock for 13 a pound, crap like that.

There's one I like, front range aquatics. Its pretty new, all saltwater, nice owner. But most are garbage. Mandarins in ten gallon tanks with no lr, rock for 13 a pound, crap like that.

That's why I've started making my own LR. DIY rock is a lot easier than you would think. You just have to wait for around 2 months for it to cure in buckets of water.

• 1 year later...

thanks for replying on my post. lighting. but i will definitely do more research about lighting. i'm planning on going around neearby cities and check out the fish stores there. what would your top recomendation be for lighting?

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful tank!!

Thanks, It's looking a lot more algae-ish these days. I'll try to get a new FTS soon though.

thanks for replying on my post. lighting. but i will definitely do more research about lighting. i'm planning on going around neearby cities and check out the fish stores there. what would your top recomendation be for lighting?

For your 5 gal tank a PC fixture would probably fit the best. I'm actually wiring up a 70W MH ballast to a fixture I got from the second hand store for a 2.5 gal tank right now. But you would have to deal with a lot of heat is you went this route, and for a beginner I would probably stay away from MH for now, just until you get more comfortable with keeping your tank parameters in check. The heat would just be one more issue to deal with IMO. I've really loved my T5's but IDK if they make them small enough for a 5gal tank.

• 2 months later...

It's a crappy underexposed pic that I just shot really quickly to test out the difference in light between my T5's and a MH fixture, but since I haven't posted an updated FTS since 2008 I thought I should probably post it here.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Things have changed a lot!!!

• 3 weeks later...
i want ur green/purple shroom rock.

I have them for sale. Check out the link in my sig.

What type of overflow is that you have? What is in your sump?

I drilled the back and then cut a piece of 4" ABS pipe down the middle length ways. I just siliconed it to the back of the tank and called at a day. It cost me all of $4, and has been working perfectly for the last couple years. I'm about to upgrade this tank into a 54 gal corner tank, and might use this one for a freshwater planted tank now.

Right now I have a bunch of LR in the intake chamber in my sump. I have heard that the bubbles/oxygen helps with the denitrification process. In the middle chamber I have some more rock and a bunch of shrooms. They grow well, but I have them under a 6500K CFL so they are all browned out. Then I have a 3rd chamber for the return pump.

Do you have any picture of you sump and the back of the tank where you drilled the whole?

Allen

Do you have any picture of you sump and the back of the tank where you drilled the whole?

Allen

I can get some. I'm remodeling and moving right now, so it might be a few days. but check back here in a day or 2 and I'll try to get some pics up.

Archived