SaltCritters.com

another diy acrylic tank

disaster999

disaster999

theres whole cutters you can buy, i used a dremel with a cutting bit and slowly shaved off the plastic till desired diameter. most of the hole size the bulkhead requires can be cut with a hole cutter, but not 1/2 bulkheads. it requires 1 1/8 hole and you either have 1 1/2 or 1" hole cutter.

are you building a hang on back overflow? or drilling the tank?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
disaster999

tankonstand.jpg

what wood should i make the stand out of? I was thinking of walnut. maple isnt bad too...please keep in mind i want to go with a modern look.

heres the one i made i jus gotta drill some holes and get it together

post-34482-1206202542_thumb.jpg

post-34482-1206202517_thumb.jpg

it aint perfect but once my weld on gets here ill slap it together and try it out..my cuts arent the best but i got #16 so i can fill in my bad cuts

yea haha its called a propane torch, a bunch of C clamps, sum 2x4's and lots of patience..it aint perfect by any stretch and you can see on some of the bends theres a line of bubbles..i guess its just gonna take more practice considering this was my first acrylic fabrication project. but thanks for the compliment...kevin

disaster999

haha..i guess whatever works. i once tried bending acrylic with a electric stove. had that thing glowing red hot to soften up the plastic. it did soften it up, but messed up the acrylic pretty bad too.

anyways, i got the light this morning, T5HO are pretty bright. lit up the tank. im sure with better bulbs it would be a lot better, but this would do for now

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

building a stand for my tank. its a small cabinet which will eventually be a couch end table or something. made of out 1/2" maple plywood with maple edge banding. thinking of doing some walnut inlay for the doors so its not just plain maple.

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

Thanks racetec, i took your advice and made the doors. hand carved the handles too.

DSC00767.jpg

the cabinet is oiled and get a coat of varnish soon. need to find the right hinges for the door, oil it and put a coat varnish and pretty much done. Need to make the sump too.

disaster999

i took strips of solid maple and glued it to the plywood, made them a bit thicker than the plywood so i could plain and sand it down so its smooth.

the inlay isnt really an inlay, but edge banding on the doors with walnut

thanks.

bin trying to come up with a desing for a stand that looked good without costing 300.

this is the first stand ive seen with vanred plywood thats not a pos.

my wife has declared that with a baby on the way my current stand must be replaced but has vetoed all ideas because of cost. so you may have just saveed my tank. thank you.

disaster999

glad i can help =)

just remember if your going to use euro hinges, dont use 1/2" ply because they need at least 3/4". i just went through the pain of added material to my doors so i can use those hinges. at least they are done, just need to do some sanding, oil and varnish and my cabinate is complete!

heres some pictures of the doors hung

DSC_0463.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for pointing that out, cant wait to see how your stand looks with a tank on it. :D

disaster999

even tho im moving, i found time to get acrylic, cut them and make a sump. used el-cheapo acrylic from home depot since its only a sump and the baffles acts as a brace so it doesnt deform.

pictures

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

oops, forgot to mention how much i hate extruded acrylic. it doesnt cut as nice as cast and melts like no tomorrow. what a b!tch to cut!

I like everything you've done so far. What are the sections destined to be in the sump? I'm guessing skimmer first, refugium then return?

disaster999

Yup, thats the plan. still debating whether i should have the pump in the middle, skimmer on one side, and fuge on the other, or do the linear approach and have the flow going from skimmer, then fuge, then pump

Archived