inTank Media Baskets

Finished my Low budget 5.5ga!

onthefly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Onthefly....where did you get those mounts for the curly's? That is a really cool idea. I may do the same on a 2.5 or 5.5.

Do you have any pics of it with any rock or corals or is it still not finished yet?

BTW, LOOKS GREAT!

Hey Mac,

Those screw-in mounts I got at Lowes for like $1.50 each. HD has the same type, but they were brown.........and you know I had to match, so I when with white.

I do have about 5lbs of LR in the tank right now (that I got from my FOWLR) and the colors look awesome under the lights. I'm going to get about another 4 lbs, plus some rubble (to help stop the erosion issues from the HOB ). Then it will be ready to stock.

I'll try to post some pics of the LR tonight!

THX!

Awesome terrariums Onthefly :)

I've got a false bottom on my little 5.5 gallon with a little newt in it, that looks a bit like your D. azureus tank. And your 55 Tinc tank looks sweet..really like the mossy hill and planted backdrop there. :)

My two screw-in 6500K bulbs are in a lamp fixture that overhangs my tank. It's a desk lamp, with two "goosenecks" that are flexible that come out of the top and have two "half an egg shaped" bulb socket covers...I'm not doing a good job describing it, but you can find the same fixture for pretty cheap at Wal-mart, or wherever. I just have my Bayco fixtures laying across the tank, with the "handle" part that houses the ballast sitting on a piece of flexible foam padding, to insulate it from transferring heat to the edge of the aquarium. Probably not necessary, but it's convenient anyway. I like the idea of totally enclosing the hood and securing the lights like you have them, but I ended up going with a simple glass cover that allows me a nice "look down" onto my tank. :)

Keep us posted on how things are going with the tank and your "spending privileges". ;)

-Dan

Here's the tank at 7days!!!

Fiji LR was added from my FOWLR (6yr old rock) and is about 5lbs! I'm looking this weekend for another 5lbs plus some rubble.

Twobuck is going to hook me up with a xenia frag when it's all cycled. Other than that, I was thinking about shrooms, zoo's, GSP, maybe a small hammer. Perhaps some lower light SPS (dig or cap). I figure I'll wait until patrick at spsfrags gets some new stuff in before I jump in!

Any suggestions on Live stock?

dchisenh - the planted back drop is "creeping fig" or ficus ripens. If you can find it (HD is where we got it!, it is the best terrarium plant...hands down!

Ficus are awesome in terrariums, with their aerial roots and cool little leaves. They give a good sense of scale and perspective, I think. I use selagenella in my tanks, it's a primitive plant that likes a lot of humidity and also puts down aerial roots, I might combine the two the next tank I set up. :)

And your tank looks like it's off to a great start. Congrats! :)

With those lights, and good water conditions, I'm sure you could keep SPS. I've got a little Pavona frag from the main tank at my LFS that is showing awesome polyp extension, color, and even a bit of growth (it's only been in there for about a week). My xenia is doing great, along with my polyps, few shrooms, GSP, little frogspawn frag, and gorgonian. :) I'm looking to try some M. digitata and M. cap's when I get the spare money. A few more colorful zoos as well, some ricordia and a Harlequin shrimp will probably round out the tank. The reason I was thinking about the Harlequin is because I have a good population of those little bitty Asterinia sp. starfish..those little ones that come on your LR and sometimes eat your corals, and a Harlequin should take care of that and look cool too. ;) Now the only problem is finding a Harlequin..my LFS can't seem to get them in, so it looks like I might be buying one online.

-Dan

Well, I have a bit of an unusual system. ;) I use two old separatory funnels that were going to be thrown away in the lab that I work in. They're basically a glass vase that is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, with an adjustable valve at the bottom to control the amount of liquid going through. I pour about 250 ml into one of them and let it drip for about 5 mintues into the syphon outflow of the TetraTec 150 so that it mixes as it enters the tank. I also randomly add some to the sump to compensate for evaporation once every day or so, usually in the morning. I also use a Kent Autodose system to drip RO water into the sump to counter evaporation completely.

Admittedly, I doubt anyone else out there is doing exactly what I'm doing, but it can be done pretty easily. If you have the spare cash and time and like the system I used (which I'm only using since it was free to me and easy), you can order your own separatory funnels from Aquatic Eco-Systems, Inc. for $25 and up, plus shipping (item numbers SF100, SF230, SF500, or SF1000). I don't really recommend you going out and doing that, but they are a good company and have a lot of cool, hatchery-type equipment. Or, you could use a Kent's Autodoser, mix up your kalk and use that to dose throughout the day. Or, you could just manually add it to the sump (or in your case, Onthefly, the Aquaclear filter chamber) so that it mixes up well before it goes into your tank. I follow the instructions on the Kalk mix as far as how to make it, and haven't had any problems. Last I checked, my calcium was at 400 (haven't bothered to check alk yet, will do so before getting a clam or expensive SPS..so far, everything's doing great though).

So...I guess you could say that I basically just add it manually, but do so over the course of about 5 minutes, a few drops at a time. ;)

And since your wife is giving you the go-ahead as far as the budget goes, I would think about getting a nice stand for the tank, with a place for a sump/refugium. :) It allows you to mess around with the tank parameters without getting your hands in the tank itself. ;)

Once again, I'm doing things a little unusually in the sump department too, since I have three tanks linked together through overflows, the water is pumped from my main tank (the 5.5 gallon) into a 5 gallon rubbermaid sump that's higher than the other two, allowed to flow through tubes and gravity into the 10 gallon Kritter Keeper tank (right now, not my "main" tank, though it's larger, it will house a few small fish, a colt coral I've had forever, LPS, and some shrooms/ricordia) and then back into the 5.5. I keep a skimmer on the sump, a spare whisper filter for a polyfilter if I need it, a few pieces of LR and some free floating gracillaria algae and I can mess around in the sump (for water changes, testing, top-off, kalk additions, etc.) without ####ing off my other tank's inhabitants. :) So far, everything's working great! :)

-Dan

Sweet jfly!!!

The only thing I did different was use seperate wires to each bulb, then wire nut them together on the same powercord.

Is that a 10ga.....so total of 62w? Nice!!

I just notice you were in OR!!! Nice! I'm trying to establish my fragging partners in the state ;) !!!

I saw you post that link to Fluid? I can't remember, but I already bookmarked it! Sorry I missed the BBQ at Woodys! I headed to Soutas this weekend for more LR!!

Do you guys think the swirl bulbs or the bookworms are better? Id like to add one or the other... what are the dimensions of the swirlies you guys are running, there isnt TOO much space in my little hood..

Id guess they are like basically 2" x 4" is that close?

T?@7 - Yur right! in my hood with the Lowes screw-in bases, their 2.5" high and wide x 6" long. Compared to the bookworms that are 2.5 high and wide x 9.5 long (not including room to route the cord). They are really sweet lights and I kept one bookworm so I could add an Ac03 or 7100K bulb.

Greenstar - Good looking tank and leuc's! But now that you've raised the bar, I'll have to post pics of my frogs! I Hi-jacked my own thread!

Man I have to post more picture of all the stuff I havhad and am currently keeping. I have like 2 dartfrog tanks 2 geckos tanks and a 30g for one little 1 /12 inch bufo debilis so I got lots of herps. Those leucs are up for sale/trade right now;) Those are powder blue tincs right, why would you mix them with Leucs?

Archived