Pod Your Reef

RedSea Max's microbubbles

ted01

Here is a shot of the skimmate as of this evening. I did a 6 gallon water change last night so the modification works. My tank has mostly SPS corals and as you can see they are doing great. My Stags are literally growing out of the tank. :)

post-26323-1202876419_thumb.jpg

post-26323-1202876565_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hodge I checked the skimmer again and you are correct. The intake is at the bottom so my apologies. The mod does work though as you can see and I don't have a micro bubble problem. The way I have it configured may allow the skimmer to take multiple passes at cleaning the water from the intake? Guess I have been working too many hours! :-) Sorry again for the confusion.

adamskit,

You may have inadvertently designed/created the first RSM recirculating skimmer. It would/should help with dwell time and better skimming in principle. As far as helping with MB?? I may have to drag out my RSM and test your mod.

How big are the holes you guys drilled in your skimmer lids? does it matter what size they are?

I used an 1/8 inch bit to drill six holes. You don't want to make them too big or you risk cracking the lid.

How big are the holes you guys drilled in your skimmer lids? does it matter what size they are?

I drilled a 7/32" hole and a 5/16" hole. the larger one (5/16") gets the air hose shoved into it. No risk of cracking the tank if you use a sharp drill bit. The plastic is thick enough.

streetjudge79
I have to disagree with that. You may have gotten a bad skimmer street, most that run the RSM see their microbubbles go away after a few weeks, month tops.

Ted- do what UH has said. The bubbles will go away over time, you just need to break in the system. After you skimmer starts working and your sponges fill up with junk the bubbles will go down.

Very few microbubbles, running since August 2007:

IMG_3089.jpg

Hodge-

I like the looks of that. I was worred how much the Tunze would stick up but by the looks of that, it's not too bad. I may have to go that route. I could see painting the skimmer cup black would mask it a bit more. Nicely done!

Well I definitely didn't get a bad skimmer, I'm on my second one that Pinky sent and no difference. It's just a design flaw. And I don't believe the Breaking in story. 6 months later, no change. It's water and bubbles, how does a tank "Break in"? It isn't a car engine we are talking about here. No moving parts...

well, every skimmer does have a break in period, that is fact. There are no moving parts but a bioload and film needs to develop in the chambers of a skimmer for it to produce skimmate.

It is not like my tank is 100% free of bubbles, but I do not see them unless i put my face against the glass. On my other tank with another skimmer I saw the same sized small unnoticable bubbles. If you run a skimmer you will have them, it is hard to get around them. But you can not see them from a few feet away.

Overall, yes the RSM skimmer is not a performance machine. i will be upgrading to a tunze 9002 next week.

Stevie T did you try the mod? :)

No, i forgot to bring the tubing to work today :angry::angry:

After looking it over, I am going to try the mod tomorrow. But I still do not like the sound of the skimmer. So i may just replace it with the tunze next week. But first I will do the hose thing and let everyone know how it works. Pics will be on my thread

Sounds good...I may give it a shot as well...though mine is still "Breaking in" I only see the bubbles from fairly close up though when the lights are on.

The bubbles in my skimmer rarely ever pass to the top of the tube in the cup. This is why most of my collection is in the tube and neck of the skimmer. Thick as paste

All this talk about micro bubbles had me playing with my tank. If what I have is microbubbles would they float suspended in the tank after turning of the skimmer for several hours and the powerheads for about 30 mins? Or is it possibly some form of plankton as I do have a ton of pods on my tank walls!

Stevie T you trying the mod today?

Yeah, i rembered to the tubing and brought it to the office today. When I get a chance after my new corals come UPS this morning, I am going to install the mod. I will take pic and report on performance. Either way, I purchased a Tunze 9002 from Marine Depot yesterday, should be here next week. I am done with the noise of this skimmer.

On your other question. Microbubbles are just that. They are tiny bubbles that are in the water caused by the skimmer. Plankton would be considered marine snow.

Mine really isnt all that loud? As for the bubbles....I definelty see them when I first fire up the skimmer but after a while the dissapate. However what I do still see if very tiny particles floating in the tank. If I turn all the pumps of they just kinda stay suspended in the water dont rise which is what I would expect a bubble to :) Maybe its all just part of the cycle as I had them even before I started running the skimmer. They could be sand, but I think they are to small.

humm i don't know, i don't have anything floating around my tank but it is rather clean so it could be just detritus.

Do you turn your skimmer off often? Should be run 24/7 after your cycle. It is more than the noise, is is the performance. If this mod does some specticualr fix i will return the tunze, but i am not holding my breath.

I dont usually turn it off just did it as a test. It could very well just be detritus it still builds up a bit on the sand and tank walls during the day. Hopefully it will clear up soon, its annoying :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the update... here is what i have done:

a) drilled 6 holes on skimmer cup's cover... thanks God it work and no cracking. work great!

B) decided to not touching anything! Let it work its way for a week, at least. And it paid off. Today, i saw my first sign of skimmlet, it's very watery but greenish, bubblish, waterish paste on the neck of the cup.

RedSea Max support is great, IMO. I called them to let them know that i did not find the extra cooling fan pack in the RedSea Max package and a broken screw that i found in the cabinet. And today I just received a cooling fan pack, a screw and a bland new blue ring inlet for skimmer. I didn't ask for a blue ring inlet for the skimmer but it come along. All i did is that i mentioned about the MB.

I still seeing MB coming out now but, as i said it is not a lot. Enough to be frustrating if it never go away.

thx, Ted.

Archived