Coral Vue Hydros

new halide setup

kennerd

Just wanted to show off my new halide setup that's en-route as we speak. 150HQI: picke it up for 2 bills shipped and a 4 m/o bulb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking set-up. I've been searching for a 150w HQI for some time now (for my 20 long). Who is the manufacturer?? Internal ballast? Is the ballast electronic or magenetic? And how much does it weigh? I'm looking forward to pics of your 10 gal. with it up and running!

remote ballast, most likely magnetic. I was really more interested in the design than the ballast to be honest. I'm an Icecap fan, so I can always flip the ballast in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the setup as it looks today. I bought a crappy clip on fan and hooked it to the window sill. With the fan on low and the AC @ 73 in the house, temps are level during the day @ 79.

Nice haveing the space to get yer hands in the tank by just moving the fixture back. Also nice to be able to put the lighting all the way forward, due to the ecosystem hang-on overflow box and large rock: nicer light spread w/ less downward shadows

Things look pretty awful inside, since I had just acclimated and put in the Platygyra in the front right corner (thanks JJShiv!) and everything is kinda closed up and a little cloudy since I had to move some of the scaping aorund to accomodate the brain.

BTW: Japanese magnetic ballast, no name on the fixture itself and a bulb manufacturer i didn;t recognize. Currently a 10kk, but I am planning to change t to the 20kk.

the illumination looks pretty good, why switch it? too yellow? doesn't look as bad as the urine color I had coming out of my lights.

I have the fan going on mine. amazing how well those things actually work on keeping the tank cool. not very aesthetically pleasing tho.

Well, at least mine is in the "fish room" so we don't have to stare at it while watching TV, et al. I have a pair of 3" Icecap fans that are lying around: might try to figure out how to hook one of them up somehow.

whatcha got in trade?

BTW: Crak: almost no glow and it looks a lot more yellow in person. It's not that terrible, but I want more blue. Besides, having a second bulb for backup is pretty smart.

Looks good Ken. What else ya got in there?.... i cant really tell its kinda far away to get a good look at the other inhabitants....well...besides that huge ass Platygyra, which is sweet by the way :).

Waited for the Rose BTA to settle in before I added anything else (Uh oh: here comes the chitstorm).

Also:

ricordia

small acro & monti cap frags

palythoa polyps

zoos

cinnamon clown

trumpet frag

GSP

Been waiting for the BTA to settle in before putting anything else in there....want it to be more of a species tank for it.

Got it from a feller that bought it through an ebay vendor 4 months ago. Custom job. Emailed the guy a few wees ago when I was negotiating for it (figured I might be able to get more info from the guy who built it), but no answer.

The hood looks like a Via Aqua 11 gal hood that was retrofit with a MH (HQI). Ummmmm..... very interesting maybe i'll try it.... to be continued.... -jb-

Archived