Pod Your Reef

WTF! My Mushroom ate my Clown Fish !

B_Kurzweil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think you mentioned whether the fish survived. Did it?

I suspect the ffish was dead or very sick before the mushroom caught it

I suspect the ffish was dead or very sick before the mushroom caught it

+1

I just cant imagine a mushroom being able to close that fast. Maybe their tenticles are poison enough to stun???

I just got some green hairy shrooms. Yesterday when I was feeding mysis one landed on a hairy shroom and I was suprised to see how quickly it closed up like the one in your pic. My clown has tried to host a large brown shroom but I've never seen him touch the hairy ones. When I bought these I thought maybe the clown would like them. Now I hope he stays away from them. This is a pic when I first got them. They have since colored up nicely.

post-31916-1202355935_thumb.jpg

Those don't look like Hairy Mushrooms, they look like Elephant ear mushrooms to me. If so it's a Coralimorph, kind of a hybrid of Mushroom and Anemone. This is probably the case for others too, but depends what they mean by "Hairy Mushroom". Basically, Discosoma sp. are smaller and eat small bits of food while Rhodactis sp. can eat much bigger stuff, including slow fish.

monkeytrumpets
+1

I just cant imagine a mushroom being able to close that fast. Maybe their tenticles are poison enough to stun???

I actually just read about this today oddly enough. Apparently Elephant Ear mushrooms can close in as little as 3 seconds (Sprung and Delbeek vol. 2).

I am a bit surprised that it was able to nab your clown. I would have assumed a faster moving fish would be able to get away. Perching fish like gobies on the other hand...

Sorry for your loss in either case.

Edit: ^beat me to it! :P

Those don't look like Hairy Mushrooms, they look like Elephant ear mushrooms to me. If so it's a Coralimorph, kind of a hybrid of Mushroom and Anemone. This is probably the case for others too, but depends what they mean by "Hairy Mushroom". Basically, Discosoma sp. are smaller and eat small bits of food while Rhodactis sp. can eat much bigger stuff, including slow fish.

Is there a good sight where I can ID these guys? I bought them as green hairy mushrooms but mine look nothing like the OP's mushroom that ate the clown.

Amplexidiscus appears like an extremely large Rhodactis, but it is distinguished by some features of its nematocysts. It also grows slightly larger than most Rhodacits spp., with a maximum diameter of approximately 20 inches (50 cm). Amplexidiscus fenestrafer is the only species recognized in the genus, though there may be a second species according to a researcher named Chen (Charles Delbeek, pers. comm.). Amplexidiscus fenestrafer is a piscivore, and it apparently uses an attracting and intoxicating scent to lure fishes into the folds of its oral disc. It slowly closes around the fish until it has trapped it within the sac formed, and then it digests the fish with mesenterial filaments. In the aquarium Amplexidiscus fenestrafer can trap fishes, but it can also be maintained and fed dead fish. Most fish learn to avoid it, but there is always a risk that Amplexidiscus fenestrafer will trap and eat your favorite fish. Reproduction in A. fenestrafer is typically by pedal laceration or budding, but fission is occasional.

from here

936.jpg

I have one in my tank. No casualties so for.

That is some freaky sh!t!!!! I just saw on the latest photo gallery post that that guy feed his yuma silversides! I have never fed my shrooms, but now I'm scared. I have a giant yuma, but I guess I don't have any small fish. BIZARRE!!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

I had know idea, The fish was a prety good size.

I received the shroom and the fish from a fellow reefer who has had it in his tank for quite some time without issue.

I will be doing my homework from now on but really never thought that could happen.

So there was some history there! Maybe the fish insulted the shroom's family and was taken out Godfather style. Maybe you can get a Mantis for revenge.

Seriously, just when you think you have a handle on some things in this hobby, you get crap like this.

Seriously, just when you think you have a handle on some things in this hobby, you get crap like this.

I know tell me about it. Really keeps yo on your toes

Its not uncommon for Elephant Ears to eat Clowns, they actually specaialize in having clowns host in them and consuming them...your mushroom did resemble a small elephant ear...

• 3 weeks later...

my clown is missing,i have a huge umbrella mushroom 4-5 inches in diameter,i saw it was all closed up ion a ball,just like the pictures here,and i cut it open,there was sringy mucas,clown was gone,any thoughts??small clown by theway

a lady that does aquarium maintenance through my store said that when she worked at one of our competitors a giant elephant ear mushroom in their display tank trapped a raccoon butterfly and she had to pry the shroom open to get it out. it lived though.

The same thing happened to me, except no clownfish was eaten, I actually dont think my mushroom ate anything, it just closed up one day and you could see a white stringy ball on the inside. I managed a decent picture:

Closeup.jpg

Sorry to hear about the clown!

I just realized that my scooter blenny probably met the same fate a while back.

I remember thinking that my hairy mushroom looked funny and like an onion bulb. And at the same time, I haven't been able to find my scooter blenny.

... D:

lilredneckman
my clown is missing,i have a huge umbrella mushroom 4-5 inches in diameter,i saw it was all closed up ion a ball,just like the pictures here,and i cut it open,there was sringy mucas,clown was gone,any thoughts??small clown by theway

Well maby he got eaten!!

Archived