Pod Your Reef

Closed loop is a must.

Louie3

SaltWaterNewb
I use to be all about ridding the display of any additional powerheads, but after awhile the health of my corals took precedence over aesthetics. Everything is happy.

Forgot to mention, splitting even a 1000gph pump four ways and running a wave maker will cut into that flow rate big time. Especially if you have to fight a significant amount of head pressure. You will have a seahorse tank before you know it.

Of course the health of the tank is most important but I would like to try to keep it as clean as possible.

Any idea how much flow the wave maker will cut? The pump would be place on the back of the tank stand on a built in shelf so it would only have about 12" of head space so there should be no decrease in flow due to that. As far as the 4 way split, it won't be a true split but rather two tubes with two outlets on each if that makes any difference. Here is a drawing I did in paint. The lowest out puts would be point straight from the rear to the front glass, maybe angled slightly towards the side to bounce flow off the side glass . The upper outlet angled inward in such a way that the left and right flow would meet in the middle of the tank but would be close enough to the surface to provide agitation.

Closedloop.jpg

So say I used a 1" intake and 1/2" outlets, do you think it would give enough pressure to not need powerheads in the tank? I would also be using an AC 110 HOB filter so that would add additional flow as well.

neanderthalman

FYI, there is no elevation head loss in a closed loop. There will be restriction head loss from the wavemaker and from turbulence at fittings (elbows, T's, etc), but nothing from elevation.

SaltWaterNewb
FYI, there is no elevation head loss in a closed loop. There will be restriction head loss from the wavemaker and from turbulence at fittings (elbows, T's, etc), but nothing from elevation.

I knew there would be loss from the fittings and wavemaker but did not know there is no head loss in a CL system. Good to know.

This was the 2nd idea that popped in my head. If you don't have a canopy, you can try to make a small fascia for the manifold.

The first idea was to, I don't know, just throwing this out in the air here....get a job and be a little independent?

I've gotta job but, I need to concentrate more on school work and getting to the university that I want to attend. So I only work on week ends and summer, at $8.50 it aint much to spend after filling up a truck with 2 tanks.

But after all I did go half and half on getting 2 Tunze 6025's. I did get some more rock to try and "hide" the powerheads near the overflow and the corners and it looks much better. I'll have a new pic soon

NewWorldWater
I've gotta job but, I need to concentrate more on school work and getting to the university that I want to attend. So I only work on week ends and summer, at $8.50 it aint much to spend after filling up a truck with 2 tanks.

But after all I did go half and half on getting 2 Tunze 6025's. I did get some more rock to try and "hide" the powerheads near the overflow and the corners and it looks much better. I'll have a new pic soon

My fault, I assumed you were in a university already. I can see how your day could be taken up by much more daytime school. Sorry about that.

Archived