Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Closed loop is a must.

Louie3

Well since I've still got 4more months of school, my dad has been the main source of my funds lol

He came back from a trip at korea to see my 29G with 4 mj1200's in the view. He didnt like it and told me that if I dont get rid of those ugly pumps that he will cut me off of money :(

I told him about a closed loop and that I would just need 1 pump out side the tank.

He doesnt mind the nano stream in there, and I told him I wiil need to keep like 1 pump in the display to rid a dead spot.

So what water pump should I get to replace the flow? How do I make the closed loop. I've seen some cool ones that wrap around the tank.

Only $370. :D

For a closed-loop, you have to drill at least two holes, more likely 3. $30 if you find a place to do it cheap. It's $15-20 here, so around $50 just for the holes. Bulkheads are around $9 each, so another $27 for those. Then plumbing....$40? Then you need a pump too.

Oh, and how are you gonna drill the tank without emptying it?

Vortech all the way! :)

you're either going to have to take down the tank and drill it, or get a new tank pre-drilled. or try this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Although it's a good idea, I think that's uglier than having a few powerheads in the tank....especially on a smaller 29g AGA tank.

You could switch to Koralia powerheads, they look much more sleek and dare I say, stylish, compared to MaxiJets. The flow patterns they put out is also far superior to a Maxijet and they come in a variety of sizes and won't break your budget and won't require any drilling or plumbing.

The Propagator

Mag 7 hidden behind the rock work dead center of the tank.

Out put coming straight out , over the back then splitting off and returning over the back of the tank in the corners.

No pump insight because it will be behind some rock.

All that will be in view is some black PVC or vinyl hose.

No need to drill.

;)

Can't believe I didn't remember this, I made a closed loop using two U-Tubes and a Mag3 pump. I just had to get a siphon started with the U-Tube that went into the pump inlet (lift return U-Tube out of the water and suck on it like a straw...) and the rest took care of itself, it wasn't the best in the world but it served me faithfully for a year until I accidently broke the pump

Ok so looks like I cant drill the tank especially since its full. Also the PVC in the tank looks way worse lol.

A Koralia seems like a good idea 1, 1200gph power head.

But I kinda like props idea, I still have space to hide stuff in the back like a mag 7 or 9.5 with this stuff

with the 3/4" flex tube thing and the flare nozle

Ok so looks like I cant drill the tank especially since its full. Also the PVC in the tank looks way worse lol.

A Koralia seems like a good idea 1, 1200gph power head.

But I kinda like props idea, I still have space to hide stuff in the back like a mag 7 or 9.5 with this stuff

with the 3/4" flex tube thing and the flare nozle

Let's go giants!!! too much beer pong!

avaneaton2000

What about making an Under Gravel Jet type closed loop I have one on my 90g with 2 mj1200's running it. It's a rectangle with 7 outlets on it facing inward with 45 elbows on them to point the jet upward. My pumps are just above the sand and behind rocks on the back length of the rectangle. I covered the tips with silicone and then pushed them into some sand, they blend in nicely with the bottom. Get 2 Watts PL-3036 fittings from home depot coupled with 2 female threaded T's for your pump input, they fit the MJ outlet perfectly. You could build a loop inside or behind your rocks and it would cost under $25 bucks for all the pvc and fittings. If you have any questions just ask,

Also you could use the other two MJ's and get the mod kits and you have 2000+gph out of each of them.

all for 60 bucks

The Propagator
Mag 7 hidden behind the rock work dead center of the tank.

Out put coming straight out , over the back then splitting off and returning over the back of the tank in the corners.

No pump insight because it will be behind some rock.

All that will be in view is some black PVC or vinyl hose.

No need to drill.

;)

SaltWaterNewb
you're either going to have to take down the tank and drill it, or get a new tank pre-drilled. or try this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I second this idea. You can do this for just a little over $100. Also you can use schedule 80 pipe that is black and do a black background so it doesn't stand out. This is most likely what I am doing on my upcoming 29 project because I am too scared to drill my tank...lol

The Propagator
= disassembling rockwork to service pump = bleh.

For me it involves moving one medium size rock that I hollowed out the back side of to fit on top of the pump. Not a big deal at all really. Just make a little cave like and put your "access rock" on as the roof. Done deal. Be sure to keep the screen guard on though.

;)

I still say bleh. :P

When/if I get myself a closed loop, I want my pump to run externally (no extra heat) and I'll have unions with shutoffs on both the inlet and outlet to make servicing a clean breeze.

Of course, in a 100+ g tank the extra heat of a Mag7 isn't a big deal but mine isn't that big. ;)

A closed loop manifold would be great if you had a canopy to hide the manifold. This is what I did for my 29 (I used it for my return, but same concept). Just set the pvc on the rim of the tank and have a couple T connectors dip down to shoot out water. I can probably dig up a pic or just google 'closed loop manifold' and a few posts with pictures will pop up.

The Propagator
I still say bleh. :P

When/if I get myself a closed loop, I want my pump to run externally (no extra heat) and I'll have unions with shutoffs on both the inlet and outlet to make servicing a clean breeze.

Of course, in a 100+ g tank the extra heat of a Mag7 isn't a big deal but mine isn't that big. ;)

Its in a 29g tank ;)

SaltWaterNewb

I am doing a closed loop on a 29 gallon as well. I plan on using a pump that is around 800-1000 gph and I am using a wave maker, one inlet, two returns. Would I still need to add a power head? I was thinking of splitting both returns in the tank so essentially there are 4 returns all pointed in different directions and at different levels of the tank. Thoughts?

NewWorldWater
A closed loop manifold would be great if you had a canopy to hide the manifold. This is what I did for my 29 (I used it for my return, but same concept). Just set the pvc on the rim of the tank and have a couple T connectors dip down to shoot out water. I can probably dig up a pic or just google 'closed loop manifold' and a few posts with pictures will pop up.

This was the 2nd idea that popped in my head. If you don't have a canopy, you can try to make a small fascia for the manifold.

The first idea was to, I don't know, just throwing this out in the air here....get a job and be a little independent?

United_Poseidon
I am doing a closed loop on a 29 gallon as well. I plan on using a pump that is around 800-1000 gph and I am using a wave maker, one inlet, two returns. Would I still need to add a power head? I was thinking of splitting both returns in the tank so essentially there are 4 returns all pointed in different directions and at different levels of the tank. Thoughts?

I am doing something very similar to this on my 24 gallon. I am using a Panworld 50-PX as my return pump. I run both my main return and my chiller return off of it. The chiller flow is controlled by a ball valve. There is also a ball valve for the main return should I ever have to perform pump maintenance. I also have a Koralia 1 and 2 in the display. I have been very satisfied using this arrangement. I use to be all about ridding the display of any additional powerheads, but after awhile the health of my corals took precedence over aesthetics. Everything is happy.

Forgot to mention, splitting even a 1000gph pump four ways and running a wave maker will cut into that flow rate big time. Especially if you have to fight a significant amount of head pressure. You will have a seahorse tank before you know it.

Archived