Top Shelf Aquatics

Fate's 40Br - NEW PICS 7/20

FateX9

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooooh rocks and water.

:)

FWIW, I use the herbie method on my tank and it is SILENT. Of course this isn't really feasible for you since you've already got your plumbing set up. It is the quietest way to go for sure. I have a few pics of the herbie-style construction in my build thread you can check out if you'd like. So far I have zero noise complaints with my tank. I've gotten used to the slight hum produced by my mag7 and the loudest part of my system, the fans on my NEP fixture, are muffled by the heavy curtains.

Keep the pics coming. This is lookin good.

i didnt see pics of your drainage, how do you have it?

you have it going stright down dont you? i have 90s which is where most of the noise is coming from now when the water falls down and hits the 90

i think i may need to get some gate valves

ok i didnt see any pics of how your drain enters your sump... but mine was really loud and to fix it all i did was added a 45 degree elbow to the bottom of it so it didnt just drop straight into the water, it came in more at an angle like a stream and less like a water fall... i did have to trim my drain pipe some but it did take some of the sound away... i would get rid of those 90s and try and replace them either with 45s or get your self some flexable pvc, or vinal tubing so you have more fluid bends in your pipe and not right angles... also you do need caps on your stand pipes, just drill a small hole in it and see if that works, if your not gettin enough air then drill another hole, and another, and another till you find the right amount of air to let it, then cement it in place,

the drain goes below the waterline but theres no real sound there, its only in the 90s

but the 45s is a good idea, i may have to do that or the flex tubing to quiet it down, i dont see why that wouldnt work

didnt really even thing of that since everything is already cemented in place but thanks for that

i took a closer look at your pics... it looks like that a union right below your ball valve just take off that bottom part and buy another union and just rebuild that bottom part of your drain, youll have to get another union to scarafice the other part of it with the glue on it... if its not a union take a hack saw blade and cut that bottom part off and rebuild it (cut their to leave yourself some PVC to work with)... your getting sound from that horizontal section, which is never a good idea in a drain, once you get that out i think youll eliminate almost all of the sound

ahghjkghghjghjg.jpg

yeah, im sure thats where the noise is coming from

i was hoping by using the long 90s it wouldnt be as loud but guess not

alright, i did a water test just to see where im at

pH - 8.2

alk - 9dKH

Ca - 460 ppm

PO4 - 0

NO3 - 5 ppm

dont have NH4 or NO2 kits but i have access to them at work so ill check tomorrow

worked on the tank tonight, got the 45s in and it looks a lot better

gunna let everything dry overnight and the turn it back up with both sides open and see how that works

i wonder how much i spent on plumbing now, gotta be 200-300 on just plumbing alone!

i cant wait to get the stuff in! and i need new bulbs too, i really hate currents stock bulbs

i think they call them 14k but look more like 8k, SOOOO yellow! with the actinics it barely looks kinda like 14k

so thats pretty much it for now

so i 45ed everything and still a lot of noise

sucks but its going to have to work

i wish everything was as quiet as the velocity pump! no noise AT ALL

stupid gurgling, wish i didnt go with the sumps anymore

i also figured out i need to get 1 long sump or 2 sumps that are connected because i didnt really think about the sumps that much but someone mentioned that the pumps could pump at different speeds even though theyre the same pump but the thing is they are pumping at different speeds and since i dont have a gph meter its tough to get them perfectly and without gatevalves its tougher than using ballvalves

so new plans on the sump is to get 2 sumps and connect them with a couple of bulkheads and a pvc extender so i can fit both of them

added a couple more pieces of lr but still need to get this freakin plumbing thing down

so i just added about half of my cuc

10 margarita snails

10 astrea snails

4 cerith snails

4 trochus snails

im waiting on my electric blue hermits and nassarius snails

oh and another update, i found out why my temps were soooo high! my CL pump was the culprit! i didnt think it would bring the temps up that high but then again, the last time i used this pump was on a 120 and with a chiller

so now i need a new pump! this freakin blows! still want a chiller for the summer months

so my list has grown a bit more

i need a

CL pump - Eheim 1262 - or OR3500

sump - converted 20H

Chiller - 1/10 or 1/6hp chiller

its a velocity t3, quietest pump available

theres NOTHING quieter than the velocity pumps but the only problem is they produce a LOT of heat in smaller tanks

im sure theyd be alright in a larger tank

i dont think i even need fans because with the lights, its only 81

but then again that is only with the oceanrunner and nothing else

didnt really want to start moving things over yet but they need my stuff out soon so i started moving stuff today

moved over the green polyp toad, desert fox, some protopalythoa, eagle eyes, midas and a couple of other frags

just the non expensive stuff, just to make sure everything survives atleast one night

and so far theyre all open and looking AWESOME

its no where near as loud as it was before but i also decided to only open up 1 side for right now until i can figure out things more clearly

but the only problem i have right now is flow, i was planning on around 2000gph running through the system with just drilled stuff and now i have maybe 300-400gph coming from only 1 outlet

all of it, right now i only have 1 sump pump and thats it

i need to get a new closed loop pump but im waiting on my friend to get his retail license thing so i can get some things wholesale

im thinking about going with an oceanrunner 6500 now but i dont know if thats going to be too loud since its ~1900gph

havent you been reading my thread? lol i have velocity pumps but they caused a 10-14 degree jump in temp

and since i dont have a chiller at the moment i cant use that pump

right now with the lights on and everything the hottest it gets to is 86 and i think a fan will lower that down to 80-82 without a problem and for now thats not too bad

once i get a chiller i can say screw it all but until then i gotta keep things down

oh and velocity pumps arent quiet, theyre dead SILENT, i have 4 of them and theyre the best pump out there for larger systems

HAHHAA. I just realized it was you that said they were silent and now I'm reccomending them to you!!! Just don't get a PanWorld. I can't wait to switch mine out. I just can't decide on what to use.

well im praying the oceanrunner is going to be silent, the 2500 is fairly silent but cant really tell with all the bubbles

im just hoping the pumps dont get louder when you go higher, which they usually do

i might just go with an eheim 1262 and be done with it

I had a 1262. They are SOLID and quiet. It was too much for me however as a return pump. I couln't stop the microbubbles. I'm now using an Eheim 1260 for my return and I'm MUCH happier. My CL pump puts out 1100gph.

so i moved some more stuff over today

and some of these thing ive never seen under actinics so its AMAZING

the last 2 corals i got are just NUTZ

one is like a red wine but the polyps are huge and the other is just insane coloring

so far i moved over 1 green polyp toad, 1 mushroom colony (10+ shrooms), 7 yumas, 1 plate and lots of zoanthids (~16 color morphs) and still tons more to go

Archived