Pod Your Reef

Fate's 40Br - NEW PICS 7/20

FateX9

damn, and I thought my tank had alot of holes!!!

Btw, you can cut through a piece of pvc in about 30 sec., maybe less with a hack saw......you have no excuse.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30second! are you kidding me! thats just TOOOO LONG!!! lol yeah i know but i also need it to be cut from end to end like uhuru's pvc overflow

otherwise i would do it myself but since my friend is gunna be doing that for me too why not just cut up a few other smaller pieces thatll take him second to do with a miter saw?

• 2 weeks later...

little update

just placed my hopefully my last order to get this tank setup

i still need the 1.5" pipe cut

ordered api test kits, 30lb aragamax sand and 40lb special grade reef sand, last 1" bulkhead and screen, kill a watt energy monitor, 5 outlet gfci and a couple of plastic clamps

only thing i really needed was the bulkhead but i wanted to order everything at once, doesnt seem like i can really wait any longer

another update

cut all the pipe for the 1.5" stuff just not the overflow piece yet, but HOPEFULLY thatll get done tomorrow if all goes well

sent money for the aqua c ev120 skimmer, and hopefully theres a eheim 1260 lying around here somewhere for the skimmer feed which should work great

other then that i think im pretty much set, now i gotta wait for my stuff to come in from dfs and the skimmer and the overflow pipe to get cut but other than that, buying wise its pretty much done

now i gotta do a leak test soon which ill be holding my breath on

heres some more pics

i had to take out the top middle bulkhead because i kinda screwed up on the measurements, there wasnt enough space for the scwd to fit under the elbow and i glued that down before i put the scwd in so now im waiting for another bulkhead

030808203b.jpg

0308082037.jpg

0308082033.jpg

0308082034a.jpg

foods

0308082041.jpg

camera box built by rottface

0308082042.jpg

ill have more pics probably wednesday thats if i can get back onto this comp by then

took another pic of all the plumbing in place, but still not drilled just yet

0311082016.jpg

still need the pvc overflow cut, also picked up some more pvc parts to fix my mistakes so hopefully thatll be done by tomorrow

update: all my plumbing is complete enough to do a leak test, so i will be doing that sometime this week

all i need now are my sumps and the pvc overflow cut, which i was gunna do yesterday but something happened to the power here and fried the dremel so now i have to get another one or something to get this thing completed

so end of this week, HOPEFULLY ill get sw into the tank

started my leak test last night and so far found TONS of leaks

i had 2 of my bulkhead gaskets reversed which was an easy enough fix

on both of my single union ballvalves are leaking at the top which is odd that both are leaking at the exact same spot

and found a leak on one of the bulkheads but i just tightened that up and its fine

still need a sump, i think i may just go with 2 10s if i cant find 15s fairly soon

flow seems extremely low, running 2 or2500 and a velocity t3 cl, but the t3 was running through excess pipe, didnt cut it down yet so that should up it some

but so far it looks like ill be getting water into the tank by the end of the week...

well most everything is just glued, kinda wish i threaded everything though now but i had access to slip bulkheads and the only 2 that i bought i got threaded

Nice, I am liking the setup so far! Can't wait to see how this system runs fully loaded.

I love seeing how other people rig up their 40g systems especially after I have mine done. Kind of a neat way to compare and contrast your own system.

Will be tagging along!

started my leak test last night and so far found TONS of leaks

i had 2 of my bulkhead gaskets reversed which was an easy enough fix

on both of my single union ballvalves are leaking at the top which is odd that both are leaking at the exact same spot

and found a leak on one of the bulkheads but i just tightened that up and its fine

still need a sump, i think i may just go with 2 10s if i cant find 15s fairly soon

flow seems extremely low, running 2 or2500 and a velocity t3 cl, but the t3 was running through excess pipe, didnt cut it down yet so that should up it some

but so far it looks like ill be getting water into the tank by the end of the week...

youre moving right along. looking good, i really like the plumbing. its all so symmetrical, which really helps my OCD. i agree about the teflon tape, it works wonders. i used it on every threaded fitting and i used silicone grease on all my gaskets/bulkheads and i didnt have a single leak. but maybe im just lucky.

yeah i think i need to get some of this miracle lube...where did you guys get your silicon grease?

and yeah i like the symmetrical look too, im not ocd but with tanks, it just has to be perfect

the longside of the ballvalve handles all face upward

oh i did find one thing im not happy with, the scwd is making some odd noise like theres air bubbles trapped in it or something

i dont know if it needs to break in or what, all the scwds ive owned before never had this problem but ive always got them used so dont know if it could be a breaking in thing

Why is it you have those tee fittings with the open pipes extending above the tank? To prevent siphon/backflow into the sump?

everyone else has them so i thought why not jump on the wagon lol

all kidding aside, it has something to do with keeping the noise downthis setup wont be able to siphon out any water because once i have the pvc overflow in, thats going to be at the surface of the water

now my return pumps on the other hand im having a little problem with in figuring out how to break the siphon, seeing that theyre the lowest holes in the pictures...yeah i didnt plan this very well

I'm assuming you have caps to go over the top of those vertical pipes? I'm pretty sure you'll hear some good gurggling noise unless you put a cap over those and drill a small hole. Essentially it's an external durso.

yes and no, not really a durso because i have the drain facing upward instead of downward like a durso, but thats pretty much where i got that idea from

i do have a cap but its not drilled yet, what i did was i got a 1.5"x2" coupling and put the 1.5" cap into the 2" side of the coupling and it fits in there quite nicely, not snug but enough to quiet the gurgling

i found out that 1x1.5" drain pipe is MORE than enough to handle 2 OR2500's so im gunna have to throttle the drains back quite a bit but nothing major

i still need to paint the back black which is going to be a pain because i have to drive 30 minutes just to get the freakin paint which sucks because i work til 530 and im pretty beat by then

maybe ill just take a long lunch break or something

Did you take a look at those Wye valves? They are a tad pricey, but the can be taken apart for cleaning very easily, and Stoney tells me he has been using the same one for many years on different systems. Also they are supposedly very quiet.

the pvc parts connecting to the scwd is a threaded 90 and the thing connected to that is an mpt x barb fitting

FINALLY GOT A COMPUTER so now i can take as many pics as i want to and upload right away

only problem is theres nothing to update... lol

so the roomate is gone for the week and my plan for the weekend is to get water into the freakin tank and start cycling

i got some black krylon fusion so im gunna paint and silicon up some stuff today and then put sand and rock and water in tomorrow

or atleast thats the plan

alright, back is painted but i have no silicon so thats going to have to wait until tomorrow which will push things back a day

it was a lot harder than initially planned since the plumbing was done already

still need to paint the pvc pipes, which i ill do tomorrow

also gotta order a couple of 15s

almost there

Make SURE you get aquarium safe silicone. The bad stuff releases poison (can't remember the name right now) and will wipe out your tank!

Archived