ReefCleaners.org

Making progress, Mini Bow Stand & Canopy

MattGecko

After a trip to OSH, I figured it out. (1) 1/2" cpvc coupling & (1) 1/2" x 6" nipple. Cut the threads off of the nipple, using the dremel I sanded out the inner stopper of the coupling, centered the nipple in the coupling & glued it in place. Now I can attach the rubber tube to both sides.

Should have pics in a few day, everything is about gone.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started glueing things up last week and I discovered that the bent wood I made with the plywood laminate has some springback to it.

Springback is the tendency of the wood to resume it's normal shape. When I cut the wood about 3 weeks ago or so everything measured dead on but when I tried to set the glued up sides on top of the tank I noticed that the center of the curve has moved in about 1/8".

Something for others to be aware of that they may need to compensate for if they attempt to use bentwood lamination like I did for the curved front of the tank. I ended up sanding down the center part of the curve on the inside, increasing the depth of the rabbit by about 1/8". Hopefully the wood is stable now and doesn't move anymore.

The problem is once you start the Syphon to the fuge if the skimmer box gets to little water it will break the syphon The other problem is there's no way to match the water "in" with the "out".

If I plum the tank to the skimmer box it will work perfect.

I will be assembling the new MH hood tonight. I put one last coat of clear coat on it.

• 4 weeks later...

ralegen - Those pictures you asked for...

It's almost complete, I would have the tank running but I discovered the U-tube style overflow I made couldn't keep up with the return pump so I have to drill. Other things left to do are wiring the fans and adding a knob to the door on the hood.

I painted my sheet metal pendant I made black and cut a hole in the top of the hood to stick it through. It should help with the heat but it looks kind of dorky. Oh well live and learn.

I tried to attach pictures but nano-reef was misbehaving last night and spitting out my posts with attachments so I tried something else.

Sorry I'll try to delete the old posts and repost.

Shot of the underside of the hood.

I created a box inside the hood and cut holes on either side sandwiching two fans there, one blowing in and one blowing out. There's a piece of glass that acts as a shield keeping the bad rays and heat out. When the fans are on I should be getting very little heat transfer to the tank. I might add some more reflector material to clad the inside of the light well I've made but it may not be necessary, it's already pretty bright becuase of the reflector behind the lamp.

One mistake I made here was that I didn't make the lightwell area long enough, it ended up only being 11" long so it's too short to add extra 32W PC lamps. The MH lamp is really bright already and I fear will burn some soft corals but I would prefer to have the flexibility of changing up the lights later. Next time.

Another shot of the front of the tank from the right side. The iceprobe is clearly visible. The sheet matal pendant, fans, shield and iceprobe should be able to deal with any heat problems.

Ballast wiring. I have both the WPI and Aromat ballasts now so I wanted an easy way of swapping the ballasts out. This old ATX power supply makes a good enclosure since it was already wired for power.

Foo,

Great progress and looking great. Thank you and MattGecko for posting the updated pics. IMO, both your guy's canopys look identical. Foo you went the whole 9 yards IMO, whereas Mattgecko did it a simpler way. (I'm talking about the front bend where he only used one sheet of the door skin). I want to do it the DIYnet way, like you did, but I think I'm in a position where my setup is very close to Mattgecko's. I just want to finish my canopy and stand, so that I can start doing the plumbing and START the CYCLE! Grrr.. I will post pics when I get the chance fellas. Midterms took away most of my time the last 2 weeks.

:*( I want to hurry up and see some life in my tank.....

Foo,

Can you explain why you put the ballast in an ATX power supply? Is it just to keep the ballast cool because the power supply has a fan? Or is there another reason? I am not an electronics or computer expert so I had to do a web search just to see what an ATX power supply is normally used for. I see that they come in all kinds of different wattages, but does that matter for what you are using it for? I had just planned on mounting my ballast somewhere in my stand until I saw your post.

Thanks,

Ron

Originally posted by ronl

...explain why you put the ballast in an ATX power supply?...

Mounting the ballast in the stand is fine. I don't plan to have a stand, the tank and refugium will be sitting on my desk at work (eventually) and I won't have a stand.

I'm using the ATX housing as a convenient enclosure to mount the electronics and distribute power. I gutted the case and removed the power supply to make room for my stuff.

I don't trust the reliability/performance of the ballasts yet, I have 2 WPI eballasts and an Aromat eballast, mounting them in the ATX enclosure with mounting screws and a terminal block allows me to swap ballasts easily.

The case already has the electrical plug built into it making wiring easier and the case itself is grounded too. I also plan to connect the hoods fan wiring inside the ATX case to receive power. My hood has 2 120VAC fans.

The fan on these power supplies are all 12VDC so I can't use it since I discarded the power supply, but I suppose I could add a small 12VDC power supply to run the fan if I wanted to cool things off but I hadn't planned to initially.

My particular case also has a power switch making it convenient to control power but I also will have the whole thing on a timer so this isn't really necessary for me.

I bought the door skin, and I plan on using that for the rest of my canopy and stand; less than $10 for a 4x8 sheet at HomeDepot. This stuff is great when it comes to bending. Just lookie here!

Hello Foo, just a side note on something I noticed in your pictures. In the future you might want to mount the peltier closer to the surface where warmer water will naturally accumulate, as well as being in a higher flow area from what it looks like. Better flow and closer to the surface will make your peltire more effective.

wetworx101 - I think the flow should be okay, It's hard to see from the pictures but the return pump is right above the iceprobe but if I thought about it a little more I could have moved the probe up an inch, made the fuge an inch wider and mounted the return pump below the chiller giving even better water flow. Another thing for me to remember for next time. But one nice thing about having the hole placement so low is that it should be not too hard to replace the probe with a bulkhead if I wanted to add volume with a sump, that's what I was originally thinking.

ralegen - Cool! You already have material for making the form and lots of heavy duty clamps? Post some pictures when you're done.

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy is finally done.

559232_7141945475595374076_vl.jpg

559239_3568495143024818563_vl.jpg

559233_2592343466294092481_vl.jpg

Ow crap, please disregaurd the white trash tv show. ~L~

559237_8384255164118503304_vl.jpg Heres the wiring mess. Sump is on hold until the tank gets drilled.

Archived