Pod Your Reef

Anyone use this RO/DI unit?

nanoty

I know everyone wants me to spend as much as I can on a RO unit but I am always looking for a deal and need to save as much money as I can for other aquarium crap.

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there so far as needed a pump because of low water pressure? My water pressure is not great but I have not checked it.

Here is a linky.

RO/DI unit

dont know about that one. but ive heard good things about the water general from ebay and it about the same price. qiuite a few people on here use them.

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there so far as needed a pump because of low water pressure? My water pressure is not great but I have not checked it.

The GPD rating is based upon a PSI of, I believe 70. My water pressure is 35PSI. WIth a 75GPD membrane I get 50GPD.

You can find out your water pressure (reasonably close anyway) by calling your local water utility and asking them what the PSI is at the fire hydrant nearest to you. They have to test them so they will know that info.

Ordering one or the other tomorrow, so could someone point me in the direction to the better one?

EDIT: The Water General ended. I am almost sure it will be back up in a few days. Right after I order the RO/DI, I'm gonna order the reef scavenger's nano package, and some chaeto.

I've had that unit for about a year and it works great. Best price i've ever seen and lots of options for purchasing replacement filters. I don't know why anyone would pay 200 bucks for a 3 or 4 stage unit when you can get this six stage for under 100. The only difference is I use the dark color changing DI stage. Not sure what the difference is other than it starts nearly black and gets lighter with age so you know when to change it.

Dvoneb ships fast and I've been very pleased. recomend

Thanks to everyone that replied. I am on the verge of ordering but when you say "I have that one" are you talking about the Water General or the one I posted in the first post?

I have had the exact unit in the picture for over a year, I just ordered replacement filters from the same company. Shipping is fast and i've been very pleased with the unit. Works great on my 125 with SPS, LPS, and softies.

Freak On A Reef

I bought this one . I was looking for a complete kit including a float valve,TDS meter, flush kit, and auto cutoff. Another thing to think about is the size of the DI chamber. The ones you are looking at have pretty small DI chamber which will require more maintenance. And lord only knows anything you can do in this hobby not to fiddle with something as often is a plus. Not quite as cheap as many but everything worked well.

I bought this one . I was looking for a complete kit including a float valve,TDS meter, flush kit, and auto cutoff. Another thing to think about is the size of the DI chamber. The ones you are looking at have pretty small DI chamber which will require more maintenance. And lord only knows anything you can do in this hobby not to fiddle with something as often is a plus. Not quite as cheap as many but everything worked well.

Nice unit, little more than I was looking at but probably worth it.

Ordering one or the other tomorrow, so could someone point me in the direction to the better one?

EDIT: The Water General ended. I am almost sure it will be back up in a few days. Right after I order the RO/DI, I'm gonna order the reef scavenger's nano package, and some chaeto.

The Water General is always up, usually more than one, just check their Ebay store. I have that same unit and couldn't be happier! :happy:

Thanks to everyone that replied. I am on the verge of ordering but when you say "I have that one" are you talking about the Water General or the one I posted in the first post?

I was referring to the one in your original post. You will see the same units from a couple different ebay sellers but I think they are the same people. I bought from ebay seller named dvoneb

Man thats super NICE...

Did you have to get a booster pump with it?

Izzue

Alright I brought this biznitch back from the dead to ask one final question. I have narrowed it down to two different water general models on sleezbay but I need input on which one is better. One comes with a water tank and kitchen nozzle which I will not be using unless I install another RO in the kitchen later (mine will be going in the laundry room). They are basically the same price but I believe one is a 5-stage and one is a 6-stage. Is the 6-stage automatically the best? I have no idea.

5-stage

6-stage

Will be ordering this weekend, please help.

The six stage is clear so you can actually see the how dirty the filters. One downside is that the housing is a little more fragile. BUt for a buck more, i'm sure you can use some restraint when you change the filters.

Let me know how it goes. I'm in the market too.. so if it is a clear housing filter setup, i'm gonna pick one up. nice find BTW!

Alright I brought this biznitch back from the dead to ask one final question. I have narrowed it down to two different water general models on sleezbay but I need input on which one is better. One comes with a water tank and kitchen nozzle which I will not be using unless I install another RO in the kitchen later (mine will be going in the laundry room). They are basically the same price but I believe one is a 5-stage and one is a 6-stage. Is the 6-stage automatically the best? I have no idea.

5-stage

6-stage

Will be ordering this weekend, please help.

Diffently get the 6 Stage...

I have a older model Water General that is also a 6 stage but mine only has 1

DI resin unit...the other filter was a taste filter so I modified mine and removed the

taste unit and turned it into a 5 Stage.

YOu will find the pressure gauge a nice bonus and will help you decide if a booster

pump is necessary for your needs.

My output is slow...and I could probable benefit from a booster pump...but Ive never

run a pressure check on my City water so Im not for sure.

Heck these prices are so cheap...even the bad azz model above that has pressure

gauge and TDS meter may be a option for me due to my model is almost 3 years old

and is fixen to need a major overhall...the price to overhall may be the same to just

get a new RO/DI Unit... B)

Izzue

I bought a Water General 6-stage in November from FILTER DIRECT on EBAY. Been completely happy with it. I got a TDS meter with it also and was surprised that my IN reading was well over 450-500 ppm, and my OUT reading is always 0ppm.

Made a nice set up with it -- have a float shut off running into a 30 gallon rubbermaid garbage can (new), and put a spicket at the bottom to pull off the water as I need it. Works great.

D

Halp! I am trying to order my RO unit and I am an ebay retard. How do I buy it now and add something else from their store? I want buy a TDS meter with it and combine shipping. Can't find it anywhere on the page and I don't want to confirm the bid if I can't go back

Archived