Top Shelf Aquatics

Vann's 30g Breeder College Reef

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

hahaha....good call! They'll prob just pull the "poor college kid" card though....maybe I can find a soft spot in their hearts though :P....I'll throw a keg party to make some more reef funds though...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Ok got some new frags, cleaned up the tank a bit and made a frag rack that works!...New pics coming tomorrow night, after my freakin HW!

Ok got some new frags, cleaned up the tank a bit and made a frag rack that works!...New pics coming tomorrow night, after my freakin HW!

your homework done yet? LoLz... :)

haha...I took pics but they all came out crappy :( I plan on taking more tonight after class...sorry for the delay :flower:

don't forget to take pics of the Flakes... :)

Ok update!

Well I haven't posted pics here for a while and I had time early this morning to snap a few pics when the lights came on, my corals have grown nicely and I moved things around, some don't look the best now due to an Alk. problem I had from over dosing a couple weeks ago and my golden angel seems to like to nipple on polyps at its leisure :?

IMG_0015-1.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0019-1.jpg

I'm in college and I wish I had the money to build a beautiful reef tank like this one. I have a 14 gallon Biocube. Looking to do SPS corals once my metal halides are hooked up. Anything you would recommend in a small tank like mine that will do well?

• 6 months later...
VannReefer87

Alright well its been a looonnngggg time since I've been on here to update. School has been kinda crazy and the time I used to be able to put towards this hobby is dwindling unfortunately :(. But, here are some updated pics from my tank in the last week. I'll be doing a bulb change soon, which is part of the reasoning behind taking this pics so I can do some comparison afterwards.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0010-2.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0012-2.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_0018-3.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019-2.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Questions and comments are welcome as always...

VannReefer87
Whoa... you're not finished with school yet?? :P

Tank is looking great!

haha thanks!..I have 2 more weeks yet :/...I just need your camera and photography skillz so I can actually get some good representation of some of the detail.

Thanks Marv!...Still waiting on snowflakes with more blue for ya!

MarvinsReef
haha thanks!..I have 2 more weeks yet :/...I just need your camera and photography skillz so I can actually get some good representation of some of the detail.

Thanks Marv!...Still waiting on snowflakes with more blue for ya!

cool bro... Thanks... hopefully around July, you'll find some for me... :)

• 2 years later...
VannReefer87

Well, its been a very long time since I've posted on NR.com or for that matter have been involved in reef keeping all together.

All of my tanks have been taken down except for the 120g reef at my parents house. I've since graduated from college w/ a degree in Chemistry and minor in Biology.

My pride and joy 30g Breeder tank had crashed due to a faulty ATO pump when I left for the summer for 3 weeks. I came back to my college apartment to perform maint. on the tank and it was only half full :(. All in habitants were dead except for the pair of clowns and couple of the corals. The salinity was at 1.038. I looked to find my ATO had never kicked on because the pump was faulty. I literally wanted to cry, I had soo much time and money into this tank that I wanted to give up the hobby all together. I packed up the tank equipment and moved everything that was living into my parents tank. All else was discarded. After college I spent 6 months trying to find a job....I spent the time working back at the LFS so that I could cover my bills. I felt myself becoming disconnected from the hobby, I didn't take interest in all the up coming techniques and fad corals like I used too. I then landed a job at a large health care diagnostics company down in Newark, DE where I've now taken residence in a town home w/ my GF of 2 years. Everytime I go home and visit my parents I do maint. on their tank and marvel over how their tank has matured in both good/bad ways (my dad loves to feed his fish). This past weekend I was home and walked down in the basement of their house to check on the sump/skimmer/and aqua controller on their tank and I saw my empty 30B sitting in the corner, the nova extreme pro still sitting on top of it collecting dust and it made me think about my tank and how much I used to enjoy observing all of the natural wonders that used to occur inside of it. I went up stairs and looked at all of my old threads...later that day I found myself at the LFS where I used to work and they had a black pine stand that would fit my tank. After a 20min debate I found myself coming home w/ a new stand, new skimmer, new pumps and a list of new bulbs. I've spent the last 3 days reviewing all of my logs and the addiction is starting to fester again.

The 30B is now sitting in my living room, soaking in vinegar to clear the old coraline algae....the rebirth of the hobby I once loved starts now!

30 Breeder resurrection begins!!! :) New thread and pics to follow!!

Glad to see you came back to the hobby. Sounds like you had a devastating crash and I wish we could of helped you out. Definitely looking forward to the new tank as the previous one was beautiful.

Jon

VannReefer87

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the hobby again. Now that I have a good job and a steady place to live I'm sure this tank will be much better than those of old!

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the hobby again. Now that I have a good job and a steady place to live I'm sure this tank will be much better than those of old!

I hear you. I have one more year of college and can't wait to graduate and get a place to upgrade from my BC14.

Jon

VannReefer87

Finally got the tank up and running this weekend....

Equipment List:

30g Breeder (AGA)

AGA Black Pine stand

36" Nova Extreme Pro

Aqua C remora pro w/ Rio 1400

CPR Aqua Fuge/Backpack Combo refugium/skimmer

MaxiJet 1200 Modded

Wish List:

-New Bulbs-Acquired

-Vortech MP10

I used about 35lbs of "Reef Grade" Carib Sea Sand and have about 15-17lbs of LR in the tank, both Fiji and Kalani

Front View

img_0142.jpg

Angled FTS

img_0143.jpg

Left Side

img_0144.jpg

Right Side

img_0145.jpg

Hitch Hiker on LR....Colt Coral/Kenya Tree I believe

img_0147.jpg

I may add a bit more live rock, but I really want to do more of an open look and allow room for my corals to grow, especially montipora's and some birdnest's. Right Side will be more SPS based, while the left will be more Acans, Zoa's and Ricordea Hoping my Rainbow Tip BTA from my other tank settles in somewhere nice!

Pics of the said BTA:

RainbowBTA.jpg

Ah, its good to be back :)

• 2 weeks later...
VannReefer87

Update for the last couple of weeks. Tank has finished cyling:

Current Tank Params:

Salinity: 1.025

PH-8.2

DKH; 11

Calcium: 440ppm

Amon: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5ppm

Current Residents:

-2x Osc. Clowns (Mated Pair)

-Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse

Corals:

12x10 Branching Hammer Coral (Clownfish Host)

Purple Scroll Coral (Turbina)

Browned Out SPS Frags that were free 99

Refugium is up a running, just got some new bulbs for the light from ATI and UV to put in sometime this week...Pics coming before and after the light change!!

VannReefer87

New Pics Taken 8/15/2011.....

img_0151-1.jpg

img_0154.jpg

img_0156.jpg

Free Browned out SPS frags.

img_0157.jpg

Free Purple Scroll

img_0158.jpg

Right Islands

[img_0159-1.jpg

Clown Pair