Top Shelf Aquatics

Vann's 30g Breeder College Reef

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

Haven't tested my water in any of my tanks for awhile so I figured I'd test this one considering its my "SPS'' tank to see how'd they look...

Parameters:

Temp.-77 F

PH-8.4

Calc.-450ppm

dKH-10

Mg.-1250ppm

P04-<.1

N04-< 5ppm

N03/NH4- 0ppm

Are those acceptable for SPS?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VannReefer87

Thanks Tony...I know that I'm putting myself at risk here with the angel, I've heard they may nip at SPS but for Golden's its rare and that they do minimal/no damage except to cause polyps to close due to annoyance...I'll keep an eye on her and see what happens....

Very nice tank, I love long tanks (I have a 20L) and a pair of true perc too. Were your clowns a true pair when you got them or they paired up after they lived in the tank? My clowns have been together for 8 months now and the female still wouldn't accept the male into her RBTA. I am frustrated.

VannReefer87

Thanks Klarion...I need to move my "frag'' section to the side or something, its making my tank look a bit cluttered...

JJW: Thanks, my percs were wild caught, they didn't come in as a pair and were both large so I thought they were both females...took a chance..they fought for 2 days but the larger of the two was much more aggressive and dominant. I've had them for about 6 months and they've finally accepted each other, the female still kicks the male out of the RBTA every once in a while but lets him sleep with her at night ;)...does your male do the the submissive shake/wiggle yet?

The male does the submissive shake from day one. But the female won't allow him to come within 10 inches around the RBTA. She sleeps in the RBTA and he sleeps in a top corner of the tank. Sad. It has been 8 months. They both came in small and she was more agressive and became a female. But since they both ate, their sizes don't differ that much.

VannReefer87

they still maybe in the process of pairing, after a while you'll notice the female taking in more food than the male either by shear diligence or aggression and she'll grow larger. If you got them when they were still tiny like most of the ORA clowns I've seen then pairing could take a while, a year or more maybe...I'm not clown expert but that's what I've learned from experience. Were your clowns captive bred or WC?

They are wild like yours. The female is enjoying all the benefits of the male's companionship without giving him anything in return. LOL. BTW, mines and yours look quite alike, but my male doens't have as much black as yours.

30L , love the long look adds more surface area.....For a college Reef, its quite PIMP! I bet the Ladies love to watch , lol

• 2 weeks later...
VannReefer87

haha...the girls like the "nemo's", and think the coral was fake but after showing them how they close up if touched they are quite impressed ;)

• 2 weeks later...
VannReefer87

alright well I finally got my favorite fish! My mystery wrasse is in the tank!!! :happy: I'll update pics tomorrow hopefully when the lights come on...The angel is still doing well but I have noticed less PE from my SPS so he'll be under a watchful eye in the coming weeks...my LPS still looks great so I'm hoping I'm just having water quality issues and not an angel that has developed a taste just for SPS...

Mynameskenny19

Wow, hopefully someday i can create and own a tank as nice as the one you have created!

btw, how much did the tank and the light cost?

Very nice setup you have!

DitchPlains

Nice tank. I love those long breeder tanks, large footprints. I would say to check your PO4, as your corals seem to be browning a bit. I would say this might be part of your initial cycle, as your still battling hair algae a bit. Be careful with xenia, at first they seem harmless but if your planning on adding more sps, they will eventually start to grow like wild fire and then best of luck removing them. I had this problem in my old 55g, the clowns loved'em but they encroached all my sps if I didn't constantly trim them. Get a Phos reactor with Ironoxide (phosban) this will help coral coloration.

Love that Golden angel!!

cheers

David

VannReefer87

thanks everyone for the comments...I"ll def. check my P04 ASAP, I was thinking of adding chemipure elite...anyone have experience w/ it?

This is the first time I've seen your tank.......WOW!!! I absolutely love it. I am moving into a house in July and would like to upgrade my 12g to either a 30-40g cube, a 40b, or a 30b.......and this is exactly what I want to do with it. I already have the two clowns and have wanted an anemone forever. I think these breeder tanks are perfect.....they are long enough to display everything nicely, shallow enough to allow a little light to go a long way, and wide enough to provide plenty of room for rocks, etc... I want one sooo bad!

VannReefer87

Thanks, I have a 30g cube sitting at home in my basement but just like the 30b more because of the aquascaping style I like (shallow reef) and it was a better choice for SPS....

oh and the tank and light ran me around $350 but I do work @ the LFS.... :happydance::happy:

VannReefer87

ok so I just picked up an Aqua Medic media reactor for this tank what should I run through it? Chemipure elite? Phosban?..Purigen? there are soo many media's out there, does anyone have an idea on whats the most effective?

VannReefer87

The mystery wrasse is doing great...he likes to mess with my nass. snails though, they emerge from the sand and he decides to pick them up and throw them around a bit...other than that he's an amazing fish...probably my favorite "single fish" if you can put up the heavy price tag for one go for it although a sixline does about the same thing :P , the pair of clowns are my favorite to watch interact though...

Archived