SaltCritters.com

Adam's Red Sea Max

mandelbloom

Ok...all parameters are good and have been for a week or so.

I want to get my first fish, I really love the Gold Stripe Maroons but I know they get big and can be agressive. I saw a pair of Sebea clowns at the lfs as well, they suggested them. Down the road I plan on getting a goby of some kind, maybe a flame angel and I would love to try my hand at a mandarin way down the road. Possibly a bangai cardinal in liue of one of those. But I will take it slow probably just one for now, unless I got a pair and then stock up the corals before adding more.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do get a yellow stripe it would have be your largest fish, so no on the flame angel then. Bioload is key with these small tanks. Marron clowns are my fav. next to B&W

Update!

Added two Sebae clowns last night. They were paired up at the lFS living in a BTA and have not left eachothers side since I put them in the tank. I think we have a love connection ;) Though my true love is still the Gold Stripe Maroon I figured these little fellas would be better suited for my setup. They are mostly black with white stripes and orangeish tails and mouth. I will take some pictures tonight. Based on their affinity for the anemones in the tank at the LFS I am tempted to get a BTA. If I do I would like to do it sooner rhther than later so it can find a cozy spot before I add much in the way of coral. But I am always weary of keeping anemones. I am about 99% sure these guys will host it though, they hosted two diff ones at the lfs and the third sebae was in another.

Update!

Added two Sebae clowns last night. They were paired up at the lFS living in a BTA and have not left eachothers side since I put them in the tank. I think we have a love connection ;) Though my true love is still the Gold Stripe Maroon I figured these little fellas would be better suited for my setup. They are mostly black with white stripes and orangeish tails and mouth. I will take some pictures tonight. Based on their affinity for the anemones in the tank at the LFS I am tempted to get a BTA. If I do I would like to do it sooner rhther than later so it can find a cozy spot before I add much in the way of coral. But I am always weary of keeping anemones. I am about 99% sure these guys will host it though, they hosted two diff ones at the lfs and the third sebae was in another.

Cheers on the fish add mate! Do wait about 6 months on the anemone as your tank will still be going through micro cycles that could be very bad for it. If they hosted before they will host again. Also think about something like frogspawn or tourch/hammer coral as they will host that as well.

UH

Yea I figured someone would say that :( I just hate to add one after my tank is filled with corals because they love to roam around for a while untill they get comfy.

I am pretty sure these guys will host just about anything. The little one slept in the xenia last night. Maybe I can pick up a nice good size frogspawn or hammer this weekend :)

Nice! good to see they are hosting that xenia, my B&W still just swims around looking for trouble, we'll see if he ever wants to host my frogspawn which is getting HUGE.

Yea..I had two Ocerlaris clowns in my last tank. One B&W and one Regular. They wouldnt host anything. I think the tank raised false percs are a little picky. Apparently these sebae clowns host everything :)

Man I was at my LFS at lunch and they just got in a pair of Gold Stripe Maroons. Pretty small, really nice. Maybe I should have waited :(

Did a little mod to keep this thing cooler. Seems to have dropped the max temp about 1 degree.

DSC_0490-1.jpg

Also fashioned a little guard so I can leave the lid open if I need to on a hot summer day!

DSC_0491-2.jpg

very cool! Your tank is still so clean!! Hopefully the summer won't be too warm to your tank.

that skimmer mod, didn't do a damn thing, i actually think there are less bubble making it to the neck. I wouldn't hastle with it if I were you. I am getting my Tunze tomorrow, i'll let you know how that bad boy performs.

Cool man! Yea my skimmer is actually doing pretty good, you can even see some of the foam in the above pic. I am still waiting for my microbubbles to go away though :( I think I will be ok in the summer. It got up to 83 here today and with the new mod tank stayed at 80 though I was off work so the AC was a tad lower than when I am not home. I think I will be ok.

New Frogspawn I got last week for 39 bucks, pretty good deal I think!

DSC_0491-3.jpg

Also when I got home today major diatom bloom all over the sand. So I went ahead and did a quick water test and everything is at 0 including nitrates, which is a first I was between 5 and 10 on the trates before. So I guess maybe all of the diatoms ate the last of the trates?

just wondering, if you have multiple heads on your frogspawn like that, could i take a pair of pliers and separate a head from the colony? just wondering, my frogspawn are rather large and i want to spread em out.

You should be able to, I am not 100% sure how low down the stalk you have to go though. I will let you know if I find out! I could frag this one and trade down the line, it already has 5 stalks!

looks like you have a lot of surface film buildup and the koralia isn't making any ripples.

Oh, and why not hide the heater probe in the back chambers?

I may have had the Koriala off in that pic dont remember but I think it was on. I had been playing with its position in order to avoid hitting the Bubble coral with too much flow. I usually keep the temperature probe in the back. I had just put it there for a few days to see if I got the same readings. I had recently done a water change which created lots of microbubbles :) On top of that I need to put my deflector back on and lower the water level just a tad.

Archived