inTank Media Baskets

New kitchen eye candy...

Brooklyn Johnny

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually my wife and I are buying a two story house and the 1st story is a rec room and basment....with a wet bar. She don't know it yet, but I have already been planning the BIG UN' ! :D

Brooklyn Johnny

Todd thanks a lot... it was inspiration from this site that started me, and I continue to get it.... the number of kicka$$ nanos on this site is definately increasing.

FYI here is that same stag branch (top down) about 5 weeks ago to give you an idea of the growth. In the pic the two top corallites had just turned from green to purple-white, meaning it was growing. It'll be interesting to see what color this guy turns when I get him in my larger tank under some 400 watt MHs...

Brooklyn Johnny

Mac luckily I had my 180 before I got married, so the only convincing I have to do is for all the upgrades, which is about 10 times the actual price of the tank anyway:D The homes we're looking at come with finished basements, and a utility room, so the possibilities on that too are swirling. We'll see. As I mentioned if we do buy those it'll be a while before they're built, so I'd throw a 58 gallon together in the meantime.

Crak, thanks man... I assure you if ever I do frag that guy I'll hook a fellow NYer up before anyone else;) Actually when my 180 gets up I'm going to throw in a prop system too, and that stag will go in there. A lot of people are interested in it, and I got it from a wild colony frag, so we'll see.

Anyway here's a shot of my galaxea sp., that was in the group of original corals that was added to my tank. It's grown quite a bit, and NO sweeper tentacles to date!

nice pics! awesome growth and coloration! great job Johnny!

How long have you had the acropora cerealis (w/ purplish tips)? Looks like you've been successful at maintaining color in sps with PC lighting and optimal water conditions.

How long have you been feeding DTs and have you noticed any improvement in sps growth and/or color with feeding?

Dan

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Dan I've had that acro for at least 7 or 8 months. Here is a pick of it in December of last year not long after I got it. It's not only MAINTAINED it's color, as you can tell from the pic it's really DEVELOPED it's color. Of course it's way up high in the tank and my PCs are right on the water.

I've been doing the DT's from the start really, so it's tough to actually say exactly what it's doing. I'm pretty sure it's benefitting tremendously. My clam and sps growth have been great, and my refugium is loaded at least in part by bugs feeding on the phyto. The only way I'd be able to tell for sure is to stop feeding, but that isn't happeneing. Soon I'll be able to compare when I get some frags of them in a larger tank under halides. This cerealis has awesome color though... and a cool growth form. It's right where I dump the frozen food also, as you could see my cleaner hanging there in my avatar pic. As always it's tough to know exactly what it's benefitting from the most...

Great before and after pics and great commentary on your tank in this thread too. I get concerned when I do a water change and the top of my SPS's are out of the water for a short bit but based on your setup I don't think them being slightly out of the water for 10 minutes is going to hurt anything.

I love galaxea too so you may have given me hope yet for getting one in my tank.

As always, beautiful tank :).

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks guys... jdsabin that's another benefit of my fuge. I'm able to drain the water from there and don't have to leave my corals high and dry. Many sps get baked out of the water in the wild with fluctuating tides, and I'm sure most of them wouldn't have a problem with that once in a while for water changes. I'd try and keep it as short as possible though and leave the lights out.

Johnny

SeaMountain

Damn... I'm beginning to think Brooklyn Johnny needs an @SS Kicking for being such a show off!!! :D

The real ####er is... Not only does he have a 10g which RAWKS!!! The man can snap a dazzling picture to boot. No doubt he also has a super model wife or girlfriend, drives a Ferrari, popular with everyone he meets, and when he smiles one of those *sparkles* pop out like in toothpaste commercials and blind you... X)

Viewing your pics - makes me want to post what great hair algae I can cultivate! LMAO!!!

Sweet job once again there BJ! Now where are the super model pics dude?!?!? B)

Brooklyn Johnny

1. I know next to nothing regarding photography. I owe it all to the Coolpix Nikon.

2. The world is full of beautiful women, all you have to do is convince ONE to marry you:D . I believe your daughter is one of them seamountain. By the way, that's about all you're seeing of my wife ;)

3. I may drive a Ferrari, but it's only the 360 Modena, the cheapest of Ferrari's lineup.:D

Thanks SM... but it looks like you need the @ss kicking for posting pics of your daughter:D

Feel free to hijack with your hair algae pics...

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks SM... but it looks like you need the @ss kicking for posting pics of your daughter:D

I think I'm lost....

floppyfish

I love your tank, its a real inspiration for me to get crack'n with my tank.

I really love that reflection shot you took. Simply beautiful:)

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks floppy I'm always messing around with the camera. It's amazing what a digital camera could do now-a-days with little to no knowledge from the photographer...

I'm actually over my father's right now and found some old images stored... here's another reflection from I guess a few months ago...

floppyfish

Yeah those are simply beautiful!

I have also been using your tank for insperation to others to stick with PC lights. Your tank is living proof that keeping SPS and Clams with PC can BE DONE! Hopefully someday I will be proof too.

Brooklyn Johnny

Floppy keep in mind that I am not against metal halide. I use it on my larger tanks, and would consider it on a nano. On this kitchen setup it fit, and when properly used PCs can do a great job. I wouldn't go out and convince people one way or the other, but just know the pros and cons of everything before you get into it. I have been pleasantly surprised by the success I've had under PCs on this tank though, and would obviously recommend the setup.

Mnesarchus thanks... but it doesn't look as good as your avatar...

johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Come on Mac... that's like saying I like the 2002 Lamborghini Diablo as oppsed to the 2001 because of the slight bumper change... they are all :o:P

floppyfish

No, I usually chime in when they have a smaller tank and already have the PC lights, and want to upgrade to mh because they are getting there first sps and don't think the pc's are good enough. I'm just try'n to save them some money.

I know the benefits of MH and of course wouldn't want to have a 400g sps/clam tank with 1000w of pc lights:)

Archived