Cultivated Reef

OMFG's "NOT another aquapod!" converting to 34g Solana!

oh my fraggin gosh!

Reefer-tron

Neat tank, I like the idea of pod without the back wall. Can you post some pics of what that HOB looks like on the back of the tank??

That jawfish is way cool, glad to see that he took to his hole.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh my fraggin gosh!
Neat tank, I like the idea of pod without the back wall. Can you post some pics of what that HOB looks like on the back of the tank??

That jawfish is way cool, glad to see that he took to his hole.

Let me first tell you the plus and minuses of having the back wall removed. The biggest thing I have against not having the back wall is the surface skimming. Won't have any more crystal surface of the water.

Other than that, no big deal! I put the heater in the aquafuge, some chaeto (cuz it does better there than it does in the compartments IMO) submersible light, and it runs a protein skimmer. The other pluses are the ample floor room for zoos and other sea bed corals if you're into that, and a nice rock wall for your acro's and what not (assuming you go into SPSs eventually). I haven't regretted it at all. I do weekly water changes, and all i run are power heads x2, the protein skimmer that works GREAT, and monthly i hang on the HOT magnum whilst turkey basting the rocks till the detritus is gone

Hope that helps. Will post pics tomorrow

• 2 months later...
oh my fraggin gosh!

Howdy all!! Been really exciting the past few days. I'm at the work now finding myself putting things together for my new Solana that I have special ordered at my LFS. I was able to get the tank and stand itself for 500 flat with no tax. I'm planning on upgrading my AP24 to this Solana with huge upgrades. In the process of purchasing...

5zkwab.jpg

I'll also be getting the ACJR from Reefgeeks with the probes and dc8 since it looks like theyy have the best price for the pack. I hope my wife doens't see this post.

Will get the tank hopefully Tuesday if not Wednesday, and have pictures that weekend hopefully.

travisurfer

I can say that you won't be dissapointed with the Tunze Nano Skimmer. It does skim wet but it has been pretty consistant for me in pulling out a nice dark colored skimmate. It's really quiet too. :)

BTW, your tank looks great :)

Love the tank! and lookin forward to seeing your progress with the new cube as well.

Why'd you decide to go with a 24" lighting fixture though?

the pics before and after your D80 is like night and day. I've been using a Sony 828 for a few years and I find the pictures aren't that great. My father has a D300, but it's way over my price range, but the D80 looks real nice.

I can't wait til you start taking pics of your new tank.

:) your BSJF will be happy in the solana. here's a tip though. COVER THE TANK. BSJF are notorious for jumping.
oh my fraggin gosh!
:) your BSJF will be happy in the solana. here's a tip though. COVER THE TANK. BSJF are notorious for jumping.

You'll be suprisd, I've been running open top for the past month and half. He's the only tank mate now as I've gotten rid of the osci, and 2 true percs. I noticed he was having his fin bitten, but ever since I gave the others away, he's happy and I interact with him daily. I don't worry about him at all. I feel he's very comfortable.

I guess I'll go ahead and start to get the word out. My aquafuge and sunpod will be up for sale. I won't be needing them anymore. The aquafuge is a small with protein skimmer. it's really the same size as the medium without the protein skimmer. The aquapod has a 14k pheonix bulb in it. If anyone is interested, they can send me a tell... Of course i'll formally put this up in the classifieds eventually..

Archived