Pod Your Reef

DJ Bacon's new and improved 14g biocube with 72 watt nanocustoms upgrade

Djbacon

All right, after much deliberation - I have come the decision to trade in my original clown (don't worry he's going to a good home in a bigger tank) and bring home some new friends. I really got thinking that the tank would be more amuzing with a pair of clowns in there, but I just thought it would be wrong to host a true pair in such a small tank. Figure I would leave them for some true breeders to enjoy. I also couldn't add a firefish after the tank was so well established with my single clown. (I really do miss him already). All that said, say hello to my new maroon clown and firefish :-) they are about the same size in total as my clown was in bodyweight so I'm hopeful the bioload wont change much. They came form the same tank in the LFS so they already get along fine.

I'm calling them fluffy and spike for now :-) Can you guess who is who?

Considering other names...feel free to weigh in. Spike may become twitch in short order.

fluffy.jpg

spike.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always causally laughed at folks who said crabs are evil cuz my 2 scarlett (allegedly peaceful) hermits are great substrate cleaners and fun to watch. Although I do suspect one ate one of my original trochus snails too.

In the midst of my battle trying to save my poor yuma - a whole other story...which you can read about in another thread...

I found my scarlets gangbanging my fire shrimp !! He had been alive not ten minutes ago! I thnink he and a crab got tangled then the other joined in. There was a nassarius snail in the mix when I found the orgy of death as well.

When it rains it pours.

CRABS ARE EVIL :o bastards killed my fire shrimp

Very nice pics of great looking fish!

Sorry about all the troubles! For some reason, I've had a scarlet hc for a few years with absolutely no problems. Maybe there's a crab by crab difference, or maybe there are more than one species called scarlets, some of which are safer than others?

--Diane

I think it comes down to each crab...there is one offender whom I frequently find parking it in my corals, and I always have to pull him off my candy cane too.

His days might be numbered

Successfully installed the nanotuners 3.24 lighting and airflow upgrade today.

Pretty awesome - check out the slide show on how to do it here. The results are pretty impressive, much brighter in the tank - I'll post pics after acclimating my new shrimp and everything gets to enjoy the new light for a day.

slideshow th_1.jpg

Or check out this separate thread for more pics and details - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154675

1.jpg

during

3.jpg

After -

6.jpg

So i just couldn't get myself to replce my fire shrimp with an exact replica - I'd like to introdcue ya'll to Victor "the cleaner" -

happily acclimated - Maybe he will be a little less shy than my fire shrimp. victor.jpg

stratosphere

Wow - that slideshow is fantastic. Thanks for that! I have been far too intimidated by the wiring to contemplate doing the upgrade, but now I'm reconsidering... Just seeing it broken down like that helped allay my fears.

And if your cleaner shrimp is anything like mine, he will soon be the star of the show. I can't stroll past the tank without him "swimming along" to check me out. And the second my finger touches the water he's right on my hand picking off imaginary bits and bobs (but mostly just pinching my freckles--ouch!). He's also an amazing scavenger--finding every last morsel of food that the yellow watchman goby misses.

Congrats on the new lighting and new resident!

Yeah, its not hard at all, having done it once now, I think I could do it again in a half hour. The guys at Nanocustoms will help on the phone too. Nick is a rockstar. If you deceide to give it a go let me know and I can give you a few pointers that were too detailed to publish here. I would advise though, that the new fans are slightly louder than the old ones. Not unbearabley loud or anything. Just a little louder than before. The improved air exchange is probably worth it.

Hey man, glad to see the tank has come along nicely. Sorry to hear about your loss and current Ric problem, thats a bummer.

Other than that you have a beautiful setup. Keep it up man, and I completely understand when you say the 14g is just too small now hahaha....wife is going to kill me....

Bright & colorful--nice job!

I, too, enjoyed the slide show--even though I'd never dream of doing something like that. Always nice to see how something's done.

--Diane

Hi ya'll - check out my latest acquisition.

Indo-Pacific Coco worm - Ive been wanting one of these for a while and finally found one at my LFS with a tube small enough to fit in my nano.

Really cool filter feeder and I love the orange/red morph. here is a close up and a FTS with the new worm -

coco.jpg

cocfts.jpg

Nice job on the tank! Well done! ... I can remember when you were just starting out. I can't believe it is already 3 months later!

Is that dark red coralline growing on your rocks? Very kewl. Love the coco worm. I really want one but they go for about $50US around here ... I can't justify it ... yet ;)

Keep up the great work! Sorry to hear about your losses ... these things happen :( Live and learn.

Having a coraline algae growth explosion...even my cleaner shrimp is covered in it !!

pretty trippy

IMG_2740.jpg

stratosphere

Wow - that is crazy! Are you dosing anything? Your coraline coverage is fantastic.

Also, loving your rics. Did you get those locally? Great color and they look super healthy.

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while

Here are some new shots of the mushrooms and zoas going bananas since the new lights went in a couple weeks back.

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

The xenia is a good 2 inches taller as well, and just realized when loading this that it has split into 4.

IMG_2861.jpg

that's all for now guys

• 2 weeks later...
wow thats insane the cleaner shrimp looks funny is that really coraline algea?

Yeah, the algae just covers his exoskelleton every couple weeks, then he molts and looks like new -

Stratosphere - forgot to respond to your post - I used to dose purple up (very very little) but only dosing trace elements now, MarineVit. Both of those Rics were sent to me from a friend in Florida - no pun intended :-)

I also got a red gorgonian coral last night, will post pics as soon as the octo-feathers all open up.

purplepeopleeater!

im having trouble with my xena they arent looking good theyve lost they're featheryness what might be wrong

good question...how long have you had them, what are your water parameters at? Are they getting enough light and flow? Xenia are pretty robust but they do require good water quality and sufficinet lighting Maybe post a question in the general discussion ar and see if someone with more experience replies.

purplepeopleeater!

yeah ive made a post but no ones responded yet and i saw you had some so id figured id see if you had any idea well my nitrates are going back up i think there was alittle stress on the tank because of the move

OK, new pics up - heres the new gorgonian., a new FTS and one of these cool new chestnut snails at my LFS - never seen em before but LOVE their coloring.

gorgonia.jpg

FTS5-31.jpg

chestnut.jpg

Enjoy !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived