SaltCritters.com

3.24 Biocube14g nanocustoms lighting upgrade

Djbacon

Hi everyone -

A lot of folks have asked about this upgrade - thought I'd post so folks can see what is involved. Maybe it will help someone.

It really isn't that hard. Took about 90 minutes. You simply remove the hood. Remove the splash guard.

Unscrew the reflector plate to access the circuitry. Remove the transformer to make room for your new ballast. Wire the ballast to the same switch as your Daytime bulbs. Replace the stock fans with improved fans. Install a new refelctor plate and new socket. Install the new bulb and replace the splash guard. Voila!!

check out the slide show

th_1.jpg

or see the pics below

1.jpg

2.jpg

25.jpg

3.jpg

35.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

One addition to this thread, the new fans are much faster but slightly louder than the stock fans. Not unbearably loud, just a little louder

I believe so, check out www.nanocustoms.com

here are some before and after shots with the new lghts.

before

IMG_2658.jpg

after

IMG_2657.jpg

How are things responding to the upgraded lights? Overall, what is your opinion of the upgrade? From your pics it looks to me like there's quite an increase in light (50% should make a difference, I guess ;)). I'm going to get one for my BC14 soon, so any info/comments would be appreciated. =)

• 2 months later...
stratosphere

Just wanted to thank you for your detailed pics - I just did the upgrade myself today and it really helped to have your pics along with the nanocustoms instructions, just to verify and get another pic of the wirIng configs. The nanocustoms instructions were wrong/deficient in a few spots, so I'm going to send them a mark-up (hey, I'm a corporate lawyer, I can't help it - making edits/mark-ups is what I DO!)

And despite worrying about added noise, I decided to install the new fans that came with the upgrade and I am so glad I did. They are almost silent for me (although I was VERY careful about seating them and screwing them in super securely to make sure there's no rattle). I seriously have to feel above the vents to know whether they're on--it's kind of freaky. Perhaps nanocustoms sourced new fans? Either way, I'm a very happy customer. Love the upgrade.

Oh, and I got the variable power controller for the fans (basically goes from 3V-12V) and it is great. I don't need the fans on full blast, so I keep them at 9V and it works great.

Inquiring to the benefits of this upgrade?

SPS?

Do you think one could do a T.max with this setup if the clam is sitting 2/3rd up from the substrate?

(about 4" from the top)

Andreas

stratosphere

I wouldn't think that this upgrade opens up SPS or clams--after all, it's still just PC. From everything I've read, both SPS and clams really need MH to grow/thrive, although I know of some who have had success with T5.

That said, a tiny frag of pink milli was thrown in as an unexpected freebie to an order of corals I received last week. I have it sitting at the very top of my rockwork and so far it looks fine. However, I don't expect it to do well/grow, and the seller just told me he wanted to see how it would do under my PCs as an experiment.

I'm still planning on keeping the same corals as I had been (softies and LPS), I just hope to get more growth/health with the added light. So far, everything in my tank seems to love it.

Archived