SaltCritters.com

cheap fan

montiel12

Dang another fan thread.

Any kind of fan is good..the idea is to move the air. hah!

I use cpu fans, case fans, a cute little blue fan, and clip on wally world 6-7" fans. But then I have a whole bunch of tanks so I'm and eggspert. :D

AsahiToro, my only thing with those fans is the CFM rating. I'm no expert, but I'm not too sure how much cooling an 8CFM rated fan could do. I could be completely wrong though. Can anyone else attest to that?

Yeah I can! No offense to anyone using them but they suck arse. Got to have at least 20cfm to do any real cooling in most cases that need a fan.

Thanks for the input guys,

I'm trying to cool 2 13 watt hellolight pc's. The Eclipse 5 hex hood is pretty cramped so I thought these might help. I'll reconsider getting them and look into different options.

Scott

with only two 13 watters it shouldnt get to hot in there. I wouldnt think anyways?

Have you considered cuting the hood from the top to insall your fan? The main goal is to have air movement period. It dosent matter what angle it is coming from. I would think you could modify your eclipse hood to accomidate your needs a little better?

I would try to cut a hole in the top and put a black foam dust gaurd over the opening. that way not much light will escape the port.

Thanks for the input SaltyDawg,

I was just installing my lights into the hood. The ballasts/sockets are one piece(hellolights) and I'm worried more about the ballast heat. The hood is two parts and there is no room on top of either part for a 3" fan that the airflow wouldn't be blocked by the back of a reflector. Each hood section has 1 lamp and reflector. I could have squeezed both lamps in one section which would have left some room for a fan on top of the empty section but I wanted the light to be spread out. I drilled some holes behind the back part of the hood section and the front part already has some ventilation holes on top that came that way. I wonder how useful they are since they are covered with reflector. I also cut the back part of the black plastic tank rim so that I can use a HOB/fuge with it. That big hole that is left for the HOB will provide some good ventilation as well. I'll be adding sand and water this weekend and I'll run it a few days just to monitor my temp. If it's OK, I'll skip the fan all together. If not, I may have to mount 2 of the 40mm fans side by side in back. Thanks again for the input,

Scott

you can mount them on the sides both either pushing out or pulling in. this would eigther force air in thought thought the hob hole, or out thought the hob hole. you've alreayd but the hole. why not get more bang for, your.... well hole.

Archived