Cultivated Reef

cheap fan

montiel12

NO.......Not a computer fan. They have what would be used as a server fan there. 32CFM 120vac @ 60hz catelog number 273-242 3" cooling fan. You cant wire it the wrong way either. No matter how it is wired as long as the posetive from the wall is conected and one side is conected to the ground ( DOES NOT MATTER WHICH SIDE) It will run the same direction. It cost like 13 bucks I think but well worth it. I have only 1 cooling my MH canopy on my 29g with 4 24" NO's and 1 175w MH. Cools it off greatly. Just make sure you mount it with it blowing in to the hood. that way it is drawing cool air in and pushing hot air out.

Thanks Salty. I found the fan online. Now what about the part about hooking it up. Do I have to purchase the wiring to the outlet? Or does the wiring come with the fan and I just have to connect it?

dude any computer fan will work! you can't hook it up worng. just wire it up to an old ac adapter form a cell phone or something!

sorry bro, but there's 400 other posts exactly like this one. try using the search button next time.

Dude. First of all, relax. When it comes to modifing electrical I get a little jumpy. Fires arent cool. Id rather purchase a fan made to plug in the wall. I dont feel comfortable hooking it up to a cell phone adapter. I have a fan for one of my tanks that I purchased a marine depot for 30 bucks. I dont want to spend another 30 bucks.

Dotn get your self drawn in to idiology.

Any way's.......The fan you want does not come with the cord just go to Home depo or lowes and get one for like 4-6 bucks. wire it up with wire nuts and your ready to plug it in to the recepticle.

I hate using computer fans BTW. It is retarted first of all gut a power supply or old computer, Or have to buy a power adapter and a 20 dollar fan. Then you have to make sure you get it on the right setting blah blah blah.....and you CAN hook up a computer fan the wrong way. It is so much easier just to buy one for the same price you can just plug into the wall.

Just remeber it does not matter wich way you wire it up it will still spin the same direction. To get it to suck or push you will have to physicaly turn the fan around. Make sure you get your self some long dry wall screws too. or some chort flat pan head wood screws and a realy narrow shank screw driver. The fan is thick and has the wholes lined up on both sides for a straight through shot.

I know you can be very helpful to certain topics because i browse the forum but...

I would jus like to say that, that was not cool offsprg. I ask some pretty dumb questions being new to this and all and its not cool making a new comer feel uncomfortable...

i forget some folks are jumpy about electricity. but there are still about a hundred other posts on this exact same question.

salty dawg you can not hook up a computer fan the wrong way when you wire it up to an old ac adaptor. not matter which way you hook it up it will still run. it just may rum backwards. also as long as you use an ac adaptor less that 12volts you will be fine. the fan will just run slower. i run my computer fan on a 7.3 volt ac adaptor i scavanged from an old rechargeable air pump.

el dante, did you put those fans inside the hood or just mount them on the tank?

I'm in need of some fans (the hood fan just ain't cutting it) and I have a clip on fan (cheapo kind) and I doubt it will do the trick.

If your worried about frying things, including yourself,, go for the power adapter. The low voltage the comes out if the 2 wires is not enough to hurt you. Your telephone could do more damage to you. Read the post in the DIY forum, it has many options, and instructions in it.

Crakeur, I have an Eclipse 12 so I cut two square holes on the sides of the hood. The fans are three inches and thats exactly how much space the hood has on the sides toward the back. I have one fan blowing cool air in on one side, and the other blowing it out the other. It dramatically cooled my temp down.

i've always been confused by why people put two fans in there hood. (one pulling in/ one pushing out) this does not increase air flow. now if you had both fans pushing or pulling, with say some vent holes then you would double the air flow.

All I know is that it worked great for me. I can't speak for those with other experiences. I thought it was pretty logical and besides, who wants holes all over their hood.

yeah but you could still put to fans blowing in or out and use the huge gap where your hob comes in for the vent. or just make small holes on the back side where it wont show. i just don't see the point in having 2 fans do the work of one. i can see useing 2 fans to move twice as much air by using them in parallel not in series. (sorry the electrician in me comming out) ;)

I guess if and when (and hopefully not again this summer) NYC gets another heat wave and the temp goes up, I'll give it a try.

Thanks

el dante, you can count on at least one more stretch of obnoxious heat. it's almost a given in august.

take care of all planning now and when it comes, you won't be caught staring into reef soup

here ya go dennis........... BTW the fan is 80 mm/3" Even in the smallest of hoods you can fit this fan. It just depends on where and how you mount your lights inrelation to position of the fan. I had it on my 5.5g untile I put it and all my corals in my 29g. I dyi'ed both of my hoods from wood. I was in a major hurry when I built them ( I did them at work.) They could have been better but I figure I can always go back and refinish them later. These fan's move an incredible amount of air too. Just the one fan cool's 4x 24" 20w. NO. bulb and balast. Also 1x 175w. MH bulb. It hasn't risen above 81 begrees and at times has been around 80 degrees in my house/95 outside.

Archived