Top Shelf Aquatics

ADUB's 24g Aquapod

xADUBx

LOL! The first thing I noticed in your FTS was the shrimp on the chaeto. It looks so cute!

You have some nice specimens and they have lots of room to grow--should be most gratifying to watch their progress.

Congrats on the candy cane! I had one frag once, and it was SO interesting...unfortunately it bit the dust when I was on vacation and my tank sitter didn't notice it had fallen over (it was my fault--I left it just sitting in the substrate unanchored). They are really fun to feed and mine had been in the process of dividing quickly before I failed it. :angry:

Sounds like a good project with the GSP. Hope you get a pic soon, and one of the YCG too.

Nice update!

--Diane

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Diane! Yea that shrimp is on the cheato 90% of the time, I guess he figures he is closest to the food up there whenever I feed.

I took some pics of the YCG this afternoon, he is still a little shy but he managed to hold still for me for a few minutes...

2008_05040001.jpg

2008_05040006.jpg

2008_05040009.jpg

Nice tank man. You have some really nice Zoas. Looking forward to the pics with the GSP on the back wall. Nice fish too :D

Yea the first couple days he wouldn't eat at all. I was getting worried because he stomach started to look sunken in. I have fed the tank everyday this week to try and entice him to eat. He mostly just picks at the food and spits it out. He does eat a little bit of food every time I feed so I know he is getting at least something.

I am feeding frozen mysis, a frozen herbivore mix, and ORA pellets. I make sure to cut the food up very tiny for him. Hopefully he will start to eat more, if not I'll have to try some different food. I am going out of town for the weekend and won't be back until Monday night, one of my roommates will be taking care of the tank and I hope all goes well until I am back. :scarry:

scot95959
I have lost 3 Nassarius snails and 1 cerith snail due to my MJ1200 in the back chamber over the past month. They crawl up the back wall and down into the back chamber only to be sucked up by the power head. :angry:

Ill have to find a something I can place over the intake of the power head so this doesn't occur in the future.

I'm sure others have had this problem with power heads, any quick and easy solutions?

When I had my Nanocube running, my dottyback thought it was fun to jump into the back area and the LFS suggested cutting the plastic piece that fits onto the lid glass, don't know what it's really called. But if you know what I'm talking about put it on the back lip seperating the main tank and the filter area and shaping it so the lid still closes. Sorry that's a bad description, but a good idea. Gimmie a "HUH"? and I'll give it a better try at a description.

If he still isn't eating much by the time I get back this weekend I'll try the garlic and maybe some different frozen foods.

Scot95959 - I get what your talking about, lol. I have thought about doing something like this and may have to try constructing a barrier in the near future.

scot95959
:) cool, my first advice on NR wasn't a complete failure. BTW your tank is awesome, I gotta get my Nano cube back together, but my new 26 needs a lot of coral too. Is this what it's like to be hooked on Crack? Bleeds you dry and then you just sit and stare (at a reef tank). :lol:

Yes reefs are exactly like crack! :haha:

Everybody cross your fingers for my little yellow clown goby, hope he pulls through and starts eating more.

Mine too!!

(But if the worst should happen, it would no doubt be due to things that happened (handling, stress, etc.) well before you got it.)

--Diane

Featherduster

Poor little guy, I wish you good luck and I hope he gets better.

I love your collection of zoas. Looks like you have some nice colonies started. And your cleaner shrimp is cute, seems like he really loves his macro algae.

Thanks everyone for your votes of confidence. Everything is alive and well in the tank! My roommate did a great job watching the tank for me.

I fed the fish this morning before I left for work, the YCG still looks a little starved but I did see him chow down on some mysis shrimp :D. I think within the next couple days I'll head the fish store and pick up a little more variety of food to feed.

• 2 weeks later...

My first fish loss in the tank :( ...I haven't seen the Yellow Clown Goby in few days so I think it may be gone. Despite trying many different foods and feeding almost everyday, it just wouldn't eat enough. The nitrates haven't gone up at all so I think my clean up crew got rid of any remains. I love the YCG and wish I there was something I could have done to keep the little guy healthy and happy, they are such cool little fish. RIP little buddy.

Today I was watching a stomella cruise around on some live rock. I saw him inching towards what I thought were small little red/orange pieces of algae that I have had for a few months now. As it touched the 'algae' with its mouth I was stunned to see the 'algae' slide away! The stomella kept on going and again, the 'algae' squirmed away. At this moment I knew the little rectangular shaped red/orange pieces of algae was not algae at all...FLAT WORMS! I looked around the tank and realized I had probably close to or more than 100 flat worms all over the live rock. I got some small airline tubing and siphoned as many of these little suckers out as I could for the next half hour. I rid my tank of most of them but I'm sure there will be more throughout the weeks to come, so ill continue to suck them out as I find them. I am just amazed that these flatworms have been in there right under my nose.

Other than the bad news everything else is going great. The Tailspot Blenny is plump, active, and healthy. The clown and skunk cleaner shrimp are pigs, if one of them thinks that the other is eating something they will rush in and try to snag a piece, how they interact with each other is hilarious. And the coral is growing out and looking vibrant and beautiful.

Sorry about the ycg! When they come in that concave, I think they're usually doomed from the start, even if they appear to be eating...

Glad the other fish are doing so well!

LOL, I thought my flatworms were some brown macro at first, too. Welcome to the fw club. :angry:

--Diane

Thanks Diane, I don't think ill get another YCG...at least not for a while. I would hate to lose another one.

Haha yea those FW are tricky little guys if you know what they are.

Toadstool Fragging!

I had a ORA green toadstool leather that was getting rather large so I looked up Propagator's thread about fragging toadstools and decided to make some frags yesterday. First off, I used a tile saw and cut my own frag discs out of some tonga LR. It was really simple, they came out looking great, and it didn't take much time at all.

2008_06010019.jpg

2008_06010018.jpg

Then I followed Prop's steps and here is the final product. I was really surprised to see that the polyps came out on most of the new frags within 8 hours of being cut up.

2008_06010023.jpg

2008_06010026.jpg

I hope these frags do well, I plan on bringing them into the LFS for some credit once they grow out a bit.

New Koralia 1

I decided I needed a little more flow in my tank so I switched out my Koralia Nano for a Koralia 1. I placed it on the right side of the aquarium and pointed it up and towards the back, this location seems to be creating the perfect flow so far...

2008_06010009.jpg

2008_06010010.jpg

And Finally...

Some fish shots, growth shots, and hitchhiker shots.

2008_06010007.jpg

2008_06010005.jpg

2008_06010003.jpg

2008_06010008.jpg

2008_06010037.jpg

2008_06010031.jpg

2008_06010032.jpg

2008_06010033.jpg

2008_06010028.jpg

2008_06010027.jpg

2008_06010029.jpg

2008_06010039.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I successfully made it through a move this weekend! :D I emptied about 5 gal. of water into some buckets, put some loose pieces of LR in those. Then put all of my frags in tupperware. Carried the tank with the LR, LS, 19gal of water, coral, and fish down a flight of stairs and into the truck. The move was only about 5 miles so it wasn't very far at all. Wow was that tank heavy though!

Everything seems to have survived the move and within an hour of being set back up at the new place the tank looks as good as ever. My candy cane loved the move, there were particles floating all over the place from the sand and rock being disturbed and the candy cane had all of its polyps out snatching whatever it could :lol:

I also setup a 3gal Picotope a few weeks ago. When I get around to it ill post some pics of it.

One more thing...

The move was back into my parents house, my fiance and I are going to try and save up some money before we buy a house. BUT, I have gotten my parents interest in keeping a salt water tank again and we are currently in the process of setting up a custom built 40 breeder! We have the tank and sump all ready to go, LR in a big tub marinating, and were having a family friend build custom stand as we speak. I can't wait to get this new tank up and running...

Archived