Top Shelf Aquatics

ADUB's 24g Aquapod

xADUBx

Got a new zoa rock today...

Not sure what kind they are, the LFS just sold them as misc. zoanthids. About an hour after I put them in the tank, still haven't opened up all the way.

2008_01260035.jpg

2008_01260026.jpg

I got a little trigger happy with the camera so here are a few random tank pictures.

Found what looks like a baby snail?

2008_01260020.jpg

Emerald Crab stretching

2008_01260021.jpg

Nassarius Snail

2008_01260014.jpg

Astrea Snail

2008_01260034.jpg

Green Star Polyps

2008_01260003.jpg

Zoanthids

2008_01260015.jpg

2008_01260002.jpg

2008_01260036.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics! I'm partial to snail shots, myself. :)

I believe the "baby" is probably a "Collinista," a common hitcher that will never get much bigger but will proliferate in your tank. Nice CUC member.

Pretty GSP!

--Diane

Thanks mathias! I am just starting to figure out how to take decent pics with the cam...one word, TRIPOD, using a tripod definitely has helped me get sharper images.

Ohh and I raised the SPG back up to about 1.025 and the GSP are doing great.

I had read that colt coral can spread like a weed but thought that it really added something nice to my tank. I liked how tall it was and how it would sway in the current. But this past weekend realized just what people meant when they said it would spread like a weed.

Friday night everything looked normal in the tank. I woke up Saturday morning to find that my colt coral had dropped three branches. The branches were not only spread out all over the tank but were already attached to LR, polyps fully extended and swaying in the current. :o

So I thought to myself, I can just pick out the newly dropped branches every time this happens to keep it from spreading, or remove the colt coral completely. Sooooooooo I plucked all the new colt coral frags as well as the mother colony, drove them to the parents house, and gave them a new home in my parents 70 gal FOWLR. They have been wanting to get some live coral for a few months now so it seemed like the perfect time :P

I did keep one frag of the colt coral though, the piece that I had originally fragged when I first bought it. I figure it won't drop branches until it has grown quite a bit fingerscrossed This way I can hopefully keep the frag isolated to its plug on the frag rack and watch it grow.

I had read that colt coral can spread like a weed but thought that it really added something nice to my tank. I liked how tall it was and how it would sway in the current. But this past weekend realized just what people meant when they said it would spread like a weed.

Friday night everything looked normal in the tank. I woke up Saturday morning to find that my colt coral had dropped three branches. The branches were not only spread out all over the tank but were already attached to LR, polyps fully extended and swaying in the current. :o

That's pretty amazing! Almost makes my Xenia look slow. Nice that you had a "good home" for it--bet your parents are enjoying it.

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

I am home sick today and got a little tired of watching tv...so I watched the tank for a while.

I decided to look in the back chambers to so if anything had gotten back there that shouldn't have been and wow!

Here is my Q-tip farm!

2008_02120019.jpg

2008_02120014.jpg

Looks like my nutrient level is a bit high :lol:

This is also in the back chamber on the rear wall, its probably about a half inch long, white, and looks like it may be a starfish? It looks like it has a bunch of legs.

If anyone can ID it for me chime in.

2008_02120020.jpg

Update on the bleached orange ric that I purchased a while back...

When I bought it, it was almost completely bleached, I didn't know any better at the time. But after some help from some NR members it is starting to recover. I have it placed in a partially shaded area on the sand in very little flow.

What it looked like when I first got it home...

2007_12310005.jpg

And now, month and a half later.

2008_02120038.jpg

2008_02120043.jpg

A shot with a different 'white balance' setting on the camera.

2008_02120041.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered some coral from Vivid Aquariums! I haven't bought any new additions in a while so I can't wait for these to get here. I am having them shipped on Friday and they should be to my house Saturday morning.

This is my first time ordering anything live online, other than LR. I talked to Shaun at Vivid Aquariums on the phone, great customer service and he answered all of my questions.

I'll post some pics of the new additions on Sat. :D

And in other news...

I have lost 3 Nassarius snails and 1 cerith snail due to my MJ1200 in the back chamber over the past month. They crawl up the back wall and down into the back chamber only to be sucked up by the power head. :angry:

Ill have to find a something I can place over the intake of the power head so this doesn't occur in the future.

I'm sure others have had this problem with power heads, any quick and easy solutions?

New Coral

Ordered some coral from www.vividaquariums.com last week. I had it delivered on Saturday, it came right on time, 10:30am. They do a great job on packaging! It came in a styrofoam box with a few heat packs.

I ordered two different kinds of zoas and and ORA green polyp toadstool.

Hulk Zoanthids

I ordered the small frag, 8-10 polyps, but it came with about 23...

2008_03030016.jpg

Goblin Zoanthids

I had originally ordered the Superman Zoas but they were out so they gave me the Goblin Zoas for the price of the Supermans. It came with 7 polyps. Don't mind the giant gob of superglue...

2008_03030017.jpg

2008_03030019.jpg

ORA Green Polyp Toadstool

The toadstool took about a day and a half to open up but looks great now!

2008_03030030.jpg

Here is a pic of my bam bams, these are probably my favorite right now.

2008_03030027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a cleaner shrimp this past weekend. He is great! Hangs out on some rock work in the front left corner of the tank. Very friendly, almost eats out of my hand, lots of personality.

I also have a zoa BAG-O-CRAP coming in on Thurs. from zoanuts! Can't wait for that to arrive!

I'll post some pics of the shrimp and the new zoas this weekend.

LOTS OF NEW STUFF

First of...here are a few pics of the skunk cleaner I picked up this past weekend. Every time I have my hand in the tank he races over and jumps on lol.

2008_03200005.jpg

2008_03200034.jpg

Next...my BOC (Bag-o-crap) came in this morning from Zoanuts. Packaging was first class!

I ordered a half BOC which came with 5 zoa frags. One of the frags was already opened when I took it out of the shipping box!

So I went ahead and acclimated them and then introduced them to the tank. I waited around for about an hour, a few zoas had started to peek out, but then I had to head off to work. Man today was torture, sitting around at my desk at work wondering what each zoa frag was going to look like!

When I got home tonight everything was opened up and in great shape. I made a few frags myself and super glued the new frags onto some frag plugs and an old shell.

Here are the pics, hope you enjoy!

2008_03200016.jpg

2008_03200018.jpg

2008_03200021.jpg

2008_03200026.jpg

2008_03200037.jpg

2008_03200027.jpg

2008_03200030.jpg

• 1 month later...

NEW RICORDEA

Picked up a couple new ricordeas last weekend.

A small blue & purple ric with touches of orange and green. It had a little rip in it when I brought it home so now I have two :)

2008_04130009.jpg

2008_04130018.jpg

And a bright orangish pink ric with a green mouth.

2008_04200017.jpg

2008_04200014.jpg

Actinic shot of the new orange...

2008_04200011.jpg

Congrats on the new rics! And the not-quite-so-new shrimp & zoas! :D You are amassing a nice collection there. How are the zoas doing?

--Diane

Thanks Diane!

The zoas...I lost the small brown with blue/white mouth colony after only a couple days! It's like they just vanished. I suspect it was a fungus although the colony didn't really have any signs of it. And I lost almost all of the Eagle Eye and Fire In The Sky colonies. They clearly had a fungus but did a couple dips and was able to save 4 or 5 polyps of each. As for the rest of the zoas they are doing great!

Lesson learned, next time I will have to act much quicker if I notice any thing out of the ordinary when I introduce new coral to the tank.

Got a cool little hitchhiker on the purple/blue ric, a tiny brittle/serpent star. Haven't seen him since the day I got it but I'm sure he is lurking around in the caves.

And lastly...I think my heater just bit the dust, came home from work and the water was a chilly 72! So I'm off to wal-mart to get something to hold me over for a couple days. Come the weekend I think I'll end up getting a Jager.

Well, sounds like you took the right steps to save the zoas you did. (BTW, I think that's the way we ALL learn! :D)

Neato about the brittle star hitcher! When I first got mine, I considered my self lucky to catch a glimpse of a waving leg now and then...many's the time I thought they'd completely disappeared (I had 2 come in on one rock). But eventually they multiplied by fission and now I see them all the time. And they are one of my favorite inhabitants. :D

Good thing you caught the heater foul-up when you did. Despite what some say, I have not had bad luck from the occasional extreme temperature, as long as it was rectified in time. . .

--Diane

I ended up buying a 100w Stealth heater from Petsmart this morning. The temp of the tank was about 74 degrees for a little over 24hrs but all of the inhabitants seem to be doing just fine.

Diane - I thankfully haven't had any bad luck with the occasional temp swing either.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by one of the LFS today and couldn't resist myself...picked up a neon green candy cane frag and a little yellow clown goby!

I didn't get any pics of the YCG yet as he was hiding most of the day, still feeling out the new pad.

Here are a few pics of the green candy cane. After 10min. of being in the tank its feeding tentacles were out, so naturally I fed it...

2008_05030005.jpg

2008_05030010.jpg

AND

A NEW FTS!

2008_05030002.jpg

Oh, a few weeks ago I attached a small piece of GSP to the back wall in the display. It has started growing/expanding on the back wall I just haven't taken any pics of it yet. It looks great though!

Archived