Top Shelf Aquatics

Ca Test Kits, What Works for You?

Weetabix7

I have used Salifert for years and would reccomend it. The color change is nice and sharp, and you can do a lot of tests with a single kit, more than described on the box, to be sure. I also like that there is no drop-counting involved in the titration step. That gets old fast, especially when someone rushes into the room while you are doing the test and asks a question causing you to lose count, LOL.

Now see, that's interesting.

When BibleSue tested yest. with the Seachem and API tests, the Seachem read way lower than the API.

Which one was higher with you?

weetie, the only thing that matters is which one is right

use the positive control that came with the Seachem kit to calibrate it. every test kit should have a positive control. every time i've checked the accuracy of my Seachem kit, it is SPOT on. if you can get micropipette tips from somewhere (i don't know, i stole mine from lab) and stick it on the end of the syringe, you can make 10 microliter drops, and get the accuracy to 10ppm.

Seachem owns all - if only for providing controls. Even if it were off, you could calibrate it.

weetie, the only thing that matters is which one is right

use the positive control that came with the Seachem kit to calibrate it. every test kit should have a positive control. every time i've checked the accuracy of my Seachem kit, it is SPOT on. if you can get micropipette tips from somewhere (i don't know, i stole mine from lab) and stick it on the end of the syringe, you can make 10 microliter drops, and get the accuracy to 10ppm.

Seachem owns all - if only for providing controls. Even if it were off, you could calibrate it.

Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow. I was going to test the control but...Christmas rush happens! :P

With Seachem tests, if it is really far off the reference, I am pretty sure they will replace the test kit. I also like the fact that there are lot numbers on most of the items in the kit.

i use Salifert currently. I have heard about the mix up of bad kits..

I used red sea Ca and as far as results, the Salifert has allowed me to make appropriate changes

to my tanks Ca leves, all is thriving.

I hate the fact that we have determin which company is doing their job of helping us more.

Good post, I just sold off my sailfert calcium as I have no patience and it gave me a headache. I had used red sea previously and they tested pretty close to the sailfert but it sounds like API is the way to go. Are the rest of their test kits good also?

Good post, I just sold off my sailfert calcium as I have no patience and it gave me a headache. I had used red sea previously and they tested pretty close to the sailfert but it sounds like API is the way to go. Are the rest of their test kits good also?

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but lgreen likes them.

I've used Salifert, Hagen, Red Sea and Seachem for CA tests. The Hagen was fine. The Red Sea seemed to suffer from quality control problems some of the kits measured more accurately than others. I've experienced no QC problems with Salifert but moved more recently to Seachem, mostly as a budget move. I've been pleased with the Seachem kit and it seems accurate (using the reference solution).

One word on the Seachem kit. They're not kidding about keeping the dry additive for step two away from any kind of moisture. I used to keep it on a shelf near the aquarium and the local humidity turned the powder into a solid block. I purchased a second kit and put some of those desiccant packets in it and keep it in the downstairs closet next to the furnace. No problems now!

Now see, that's interesting.

When BibleSue tested yest. with the Seachem and API tests, the Seachem read way lower than the API.

Which one was higher with you?

Alrighty folks, I now have proof.

Because BibleSue had such a discrepancy in her results between the Seachem Ca test and the API Ca test, I used the Seachem referance sample to test both.

This referance sample is a solution that is known to have a measurement of 425 on Ca.

I first tested the sample with the Seachem test kit, being VERY careful to be extremely accurate with every step of the test. Using the Seachem test kit, I got a result of 305 for Ca.

I then tested the Seachem reference solution with the API test and got a result of 420.

Just to recap, according to Seachem their reference solution is 425.

When tested with the Seachem test kit I got a result of 305.

When tested with the API test kit I got a result of 420. (It doesn't have an option for a result of 425.)

The results are clear, API is more accurate, at least with the test kits that BibleSue has.

I would also like to make note of the fact that Seachem shows results in increments of 5 ppm, not 50 as was stated earlier in this thread. Read the fine print in the directions guys!

Personally, I think there's something wrong with your reagents in the Seachem kit. That's just ridiculously off. Even a tiny bit off cross-contamination with titrant or indicator will permanently screw them up.

Is the kit brand new just opened? What's the expiration date?

Salifert has had so many quality control problems lately that I am done with them. I have used them for years but there are so many tests out there now that show allot of their test kits are off.... Hopefully they can get this worked out because they are easy to use.Elos is the brand most of the people who use salifert are going to because of the accuracy and ease of use plus close in price. Accuracy is not the reason most people used salifert it was the ease of use.

http://www.mbenassireef.com/?cat=17

Personally, I think there's something wrong with your reagents in the Seachem kit. That's just ridiculously off. Even a tiny bit off cross-contamination with titrant or indicator will permanently screw them up. Is the kit brand new just opened? What's the expiration date?
I agree something is wrong and most likely bad batch.....All companies have regement issues from time to time even the top compainies with lab grade product like hach even though they are extreemly rare.Dave

[q6Ruote name=MrAnderson' date='Dec 28 2007, 03:40 AM' post='1418049]

Personally, I think there's something wrong with your reagents in the Seachem kit. That's just ridiculously off. Even a tiny bit off cross-contamination with titrant or indicator will permanently screw them up.

Is the kit brand new just opened? What's the expiration date?

BibleSue has had the kit for about 1 month.

When I did the test last night, it was only the second time it had been used and I was VERY careful. She used it the first time and she tends to be pretty careful too.

I was unable to find an expiration date, but the number on the bottom outside of the container is N36753.

Lot #'s found on the different reagents/components are:

0041JR10

0021JQ8P

0031JR6R

0011JR4H

BibleSue plans on calling Seachem tomorrow about it. She tried to call today and it was 15 mins after they closed.

Archived