Pod Your Reef

Ca Test Kits, What Works for You?

Weetabix7

I need to get a Ca test kit very shortly and wanted to get opinions on what you guys have found to be most accurate/reliable.

I don't want Salifert due to the recent batches of inaccurate Ca, Mg, Alk test kits from them.

Don't want Red Sea due to previous problems with their kits.

I'm looking at API or Seachem right now.

What works for you guys?

I use the API one and it works for me. The RedSea one is CRAP which I have also, because it only tests in incroments of 50ppm which is rediculous. 400 and 450 is a big differance...

Salifert, LaMotte & ELOS all give similar results. The SeaChem Ca I bought did not match any of the other results, nor did it match its own reference. If you get a good SeChem kit, then testing method the same as the others. Lamotte most "difficult" to use (just because can do FW or SW, need to dilute w/ RO). ELOS gives the least resolution @ 25ppm.

API. Easy to use, accurate, and inexpensive.

You're the one that got me thinking about API in the first place.

If not for that post of yours, I never would have considered it.

Part of my problem right now is, BibleSue has both the API and Seachem Ca test kits. She used both to test the Ca in one of her tanks and got very different results. Now how do we know which one is accurate?

She ran the tests several times to be sure, btw.

Take a sample to the LFS if they have a topend kit and have them test it.

BibleSue's local LFS's are all completely clueless on reef stuff.

I'm not even sure they would have a Ca test kit, much less a top end one!

I'm a Salifert guy, big fan of the bold color changes. They're also made in Holland and I love that place, but I think API kits are just fine.

been using salifert for many years but will soon change to Elos once marinedepot.com gets them in, (just a few more days).

Quality control and the quality of the kits have prompted me to switch.

I am using the Seachem. The resolution is only 50ppm, but using the graduations on the syringe, you can get it down to at least 10. I check it against the reference about every week and it is always right on. Be very careful with the purple powder though, 1 drop of liquid will turn the whole thing into a rock. They sent me a new one though. I have compared it with Salifert and Api and it was right on against the API. The Salifert, I think it was a bad one.

I have both the API and the SeaChem. Mine were way different when I compared the two. 350 on one and 440 on another. The Seachem was off I think, so I am going with the API. Plus, the API is 10 times easier to use than the Seachem.

I have both the API and the SeaChem. Mine were way different when I compared the two. 350 on one and 440 on another. The Seachem was off I think, so I am going with the API. Plus, the API is 10 times easier to use than the Seachem.

Now see, that's interesting.

When BibleSue tested yest. with the Seachem and API tests, the Seachem read way lower than the API.

Which one was higher with you?

Now see, that's interesting.

When BibleSue tested yest. with the Seachem and API tests, the Seachem read way lower than the API.

Which one was higher with you?

API was 440, SeaChem was 350.

I am using the Seachem. The resolution is only 50ppm, but using the graduations on the syringe, you can get it down to at least 10. I check it against the reference about every week and it is always right on. Be very careful with the purple powder though, 1 drop of liquid will turn the whole thing into a rock. They sent me a new one though. I have compared it with Salifert and Api and it was right on against the API. The Salifert, I think it was a bad one.

I have had two Seachem kits and my experience is the same as GrandeGixxer. It matches the reference and I have been happy with it. And like he said - keep that powder dry!!! I had the exact same experience.

The Seachem Magnesium kit is hard to use, but seems accurate.

I use API due to the fact that it's extremely easy to use and the number of drops you put in of reagent B just has to be multiplied by 20 to get the amount of calcium in your system. I have used API ever since I started my Saltwater tank.

I have to agree with brshriver on the Seachem Mg test kit.

Part of my problem right now is, BibleSue has both the API and Seachem Ca test kits. She used both to test the Ca in one of her tanks and got very different results. Now how do we know which one is accurate?

She ran the tests several times to be sure, btw.

The SeaChem should come with a reference solution. Test against it. The last SeaChem kits I bought (Ca & kH) did not match their references, but other kits did... ?

Archived