SaltCritters.com

Lighting

Bracod

For reef lighting, how much light is enough? If you needed 3 watts per gallon, can the total watts per gallon be a mix between actinic and daylight? Could the total watts per gallon be completly 50/50?

OK

"Watts Per Gallon" Is a rule of thumb that was used more once apoun a rainbow along time ago..

What are you looking to keep and what kind of tank to you have.

See Watts per gallon is a bad idea.. Just becouse different corals will need different levels of Intesitiy! as different types of lights will have different levels on intesity.

This is a layout of how different lights would be used!

Florecents : Tank Viewing only.

Power compacts/Vho: Great for smaller tanks or Short tank, Ideally great for any Softies or most tanks that are shorter than 24 inches.

Metal Halides: Are what you want, Halides are great for all tanks, Are the only lights that would be used on a tank deeper than 24inches. as well are required for "higher Light needy corals"

See Florcents are A "light source: witch is why they are for viewing only" everything eles will produce intesnsity witch is what the corals will feed off..

Now as for mixing.. Ideally its what you like, mix and match the bulbs to get the coloration that you like, Just rember that ACtinics are Benifical to your corals, as they will provide the Deeper water Spectrum that alot of these corals will need as well as they providing the spectrum of light that is going to Bring out the Coloration in the coral

So to say 3 watt per gallon is not the best.. just becouse.. somthing like this,.

I mean take say a 58 Gallon tank...

a metal Halide ( 1 Bulb 175 watt halide ) thats 3WPG

compared to say running 4x 40 watt NOs. They are Both running at about 3WPG.. and i will Promise you that depending on what corals you ahve.. the Halide will produce unbleavable results compoared to the NOs.

So again, im rambling on and on..

what size tank do you have..

and what are you looking to keep.. we get this info.. and we can help you much better!

Thanks, I'm looking to set up a 10 gallon tank, I don't know if I can affort metal halide, but I'll definitly check it out. Really, I am just looking to get enough light to where I will get some nice growth and sprouts from the liverock, but, later on I will probably end up wanting corals, so I might as well go with the requirements for basic coral.

Oh, one more thing, is it ideal to get actinic in addition to metal halide, or can a metal halide handle handle all the lighting needs of a tank? BTW, it would be 10 gallon.

Well on a 10 gallon tank, Running a Metal Halide would be alot.. Unless you where going to run all Harder corals such as...

Clams, Acros.. So on.. Running a Halide on that small of a tank might be too much for some of the more eaier beginner corals like Mushrooms, Softies..

So if you go with the Halide then just make sure you have shaded areas for the lesser light loving corals.

If running a halide.. Most will run Actinics as well. on my 72 gallon tank i ran 2x 40 watt actinics while running 3x 175 watt 6,500 bulbs..

But if you run somthing like a 14k bulb you are running the Blueish look giving the tank the Deeper water look.

But for your 10 gallon to start off.. any light will keep the live rock alive and growing, looking to start of with some corals on a basic level! Then i would go with your 10G tank and add a couple of

27 Watts 7.5" Powercompacts.. that would give you a good start .. and this kind of lighting would do just about any Softies. and then once your tank matures and gets going then you could add on a halide and move into the harder corals..

yes again, Depends on what you are going to keep.

Myself i would go with a 14K 175 watt halide, and make shady areas for the less light loving corals!

ELGORDOINAVW

i say go with the power quads, they will good for most anything. look around you can get a retro kit fr about 120. spend the money once so you don't have to upgrade.

ELGORDOINAVW

bracod, it won't work you said it yourself the light strip is 24" long but a average 10 gallon is only 20" long, with the powerquad i belive it comes out to 18.5". i'll look at the double strip light in a minute

Archived