Top Shelf Aquatics

My New 10g Reef

cvest100

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somethinzfishy2007

Hi Somethinzfishy here. I saw your post and love the look of your tank really nifty man !

I know I'm new to the whole thing to and maybe the pro's here will correct me on this if I'm wrong but I was sorta wondering about the thickness of your sand bed ?

Is that what it looks like ? An inch or two off the bottom ?

Only reason I ask if I was told that a thin layer in a small set-up like that was great because if it was too thick that there'sd be more of a nitrient build-up in the sand and therefore more nitrates right ?

Am I looking at this right guys ?

Does that substrate seem alittle on the thick side or.........

Just my one and half cents...

- fishy

InTr4nceWeTrust

Tank's looking great. Hope those lights serve you well. I'm in a similar boat with only 20 watts of light on my 10 gallon.

Hi Somethinzfishy here. I saw your post and love the look of your tank really nifty man !

I know I'm new to the whole thing to and maybe the pro's here will correct me on this if I'm wrong but I was sorta wondering about the thickness of your sand bed ?

Is that what it looks like ? An inch or two off the bottom ?

Only reason I ask if I was told that a thin layer in a small set-up like that was great because if it was too thick that there'sd be more of a nitrient build-up in the sand and therefore more nitrates right ?

Am I looking at this right guys ?

Does that substrate seem alittle on the thick side or.........

Just my one and half cents...

- fishy

It's about an inch, and my levels seem fine. I have a few snails and things though that keep the sand bed turned over pretty regularly! I think if it's an insane amount of sand like two inches or more in a tank this size it would keep nitrates more, but that's just IMO.

• 2 months later...

Alright everyone, I moved my ten to my old 38 gallon high. So this ten lasted about two weeksish. The 38 has been going for about 8 weeks solid now. SG 1.027, Trites 0; Ammonia 0; pH 8.3; Trates undetectable; Calcium is about 400; and Alk is 250ish (hard to tell what color :huh: ) Here are a few pics of the tank now!

post-32838-1205095110_thumb.jpg

post-32838-1205095210_thumb.jpg

Alright everyone, I moved my ten to my old 38 gallon high. So this ten lasted about two weeksish. The 38 has been going for about 8 weeks solid now. SG 1.027, Trites 0; Ammonia 0; pH 8.3; Trates undetectable; Calcium is about 400; and Alk is 250ish (hard to tell what color :huh: ) Here are a few pics of the tank now!

post-32838-1205095110_thumb.jpg

post-32838-1205095210_thumb.jpg

anyone??

I dig the scape, but is the rock against the glass on the sides? I dont like that because ya cant clean it.

Is that HOB all your using for filatration?

Looks good.

• 2 years later...

Archived