Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My New 10g Reef

cvest100

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm showing signs of my first brown bloom! It's covered a little bit of the LR and it's slowly moving onto the sand. How big of a bloom should I wait for, before getting my CUC. How many snails and hermits should I plan on adding?? Here's two pics!!

attachment=32670:DSCN1031.JPG]

post-32838-1198214443_thumb.jpg

post-32838-1198214321_thumb.jpg

My Nitrites are at zero, and have been for like two days. My nitrates are at about 20ppm. Not sure about the ammonia. I have to go out today and pick up a new test kit. My new T5 light came in. It's 2x24 watt bulbs. One 10,000k white, and then a blue one as well. Does anyone think that I can pu in 40w bulbs that I found online, or should I just get another light and run two? Here is a couple of pics:

post-32838-1198261420_thumb.jpg

So you started the tank on the 10th, added more rock on the 12th, today is the 21st. Only 11 days. You need to wait some more before adding anything. Let it set a few more week, keep testing and get the test kits you need so you can test yourself. The lights are fine of soft coral and some LPS. You cannot put 40 watt lights in a fixture designed for 24 watt lights. The ballast is not correct.

Ok, so my ammonia is at 0ppm, my nitrites are at 0 ppm, and my nitrates are hovering around 10ppm. SG is 1.025. My brown algea is taking over my tank!! I was wondering if after a week with stable params, I can add a CUC? I was also wondering how many, and of what I should add..?? Any suggestions..???

Whats up cvest looks great man I wish I had the means to get lights like that at my LFS in Virgina. Your doing fine and I would leave that brown stuff alone let it sit. That pic of my tank was only 5months old. Heres a pic when it was only 3months. You'll notice that brown algae on the rock at the bottom right. It went away eventually. Also if you want to mature your tank faster I used other reefers mature water from large tanks to add to mine.

Reef83.jpg

And the same pic from the previous post. 5 MONTHS and Yes it can be done Reefers. The tank here took off after using more mature water changes. Everything also looked alot brighter. I think this is how I pasted my room inspection every week in the Navy... Good luck again and add something like a brown polyp. NOTE: The xenias I had were my indicators for nitrate levels. If they pulsate water was good when they didn't pulsate I changed water. Happy Holidays....

Coralreef117.jpg

Ok, so it's been ONE day since my last post.....and I now have this!!!

post-32838-1198472921_thumb.jpg

post-32838-1198473434_thumb.jpg

It's EVERYWHERE!!

ammonia: 0 ppm

nitrites: 0 ppm

nitrates: 40 ppm

SG: 1.025

My nitrates are high, so should I do a partial water change? Since I've had ammonia and nitrites at that level for about 3 days now....can I add a CUC to take care of the brown algea yet, or is it still too soon?? HELP!?!

Umm, I bought it off of e-bay, and it's not a name brand.....don't know what it is really?? lol. It looks like it has one big reflector that wraps around both bulbs and the entire inside of the fixture.

If you wanna get rid of your nitrate problem and don't mind the cosmetic look for now add some Chaeto and the nitrates will be used up by the algae. Don't worry mine did that as well and it went away after the cycling of your tank don't do a lot of water changes because you'll just slow the process of cycling. Use mature water was well if you got the resources.

Ok, so I just checked my levels and they are as follows:

SG 1.025

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates 30ppm

pH 8.4

My brown algea bloom is still out of control.....it's covered the sand, the LR, the glass....everything. Is it still too early to put in a CUC? I've had steady levels for almost a week now. Any help please??

Do a 20-30% water change to bring nitrates down. Brown diatoms are normal and will subside. You could get away a a few snails and hermits if you are going to keep hermits. Patience is still the name of the game. Let the tank chill, it is still maturing.

So - water change - a few CUC if you like - wait a couple of more weeks - test to ensure good levels - start your weekly 10% water changes - add a fish or an easy coral and see how it goes.

JMO

Cvest, our cycle is about the same ( I think I might be a week behind) but I'm going through the same bloom as you and it looks god awful. On recommendation from my LFS I have add just a few snails ( 2 turbo's and 6 sand sifting). Just give it time and remember a big out break like that is a good sign your tank is maturing.

Added a few things today.......got a Koralia Nano Pump for some flow. An algea magnet scraper. Plus my CUC. Three misc hermits, 3 astrea snails, and four really small nassarius snails. All seem to be doing well four about 10 hours now. Hopefully my params will stay at nothing and soon get my first CORALS!!

So I've been reading alot about people and their filters. I have a Whisper 20 on my tank with a carbon filter media in it. Should I take that out and add other things to it to help with the stability of the tank?? If so, what should I be adding to it? Thanks!!

I'm not an expert by any means, but i have an Aquaclear HOB filter on my ten gallon, and I have a sponge in there for some mechanical filtration, and then i have some broken up live rock which i'm hoping copepods will be growing in there, sort of like a refugium. =)

Went to a LFS today and bought 10 gallons of RO/DI Saltwater. Only cost $8.90. Tested it.....all the levels were ZERO, pH was spot on, and SG was about 1.026. So I did about a 20% water change. Hopefully my nitrates level out, but all my other levels are spot on as well. Anyone looking for good water in Central Ohio lemme know!

Bump...

Went to a LFS today and bought 10 gallons of RO/DI Saltwater. Only cost $8.90. Tested it.....all the levels were ZERO, pH was spot on, and SG was about 1.026. So I did about a 20% water change. Hopefully my nitrates level out, but all my other levels are spot on as well. Anyone looking for good water in Central Ohio lemme know!

Archived