Cultivated Reef

Encrusting mystery hitch-hiker coral

supreme_spork

Yeah Josh is right, the correct way to get a 100% id is through a skeletal sample. However, Porites generally have a fairly obvious corallite, with each corallite being close together and geometric. Pavona however has less regular corallite that cause the polyps to be more spread out. Pavona polyps also have thinner, spindly tentacles which come out to a point, while Porites are much more blunt and shorter. Thist is why your coral looks like a Pavona and not a Porites to me. If you were to make the polyps retract and then take a picture I feel it woul dbe mush more obvious.

But this is all a moot point as it is a nice coral and seems to be doing quite well in your tank.

• 2 weeks later...

ADUB, it does look very similar...and also similar to the pic DESERTHEATRACING posted. I think it could very well be Porites. Do you ever see any polyp extension?

--Diane

supreme_spork
Congrats, L34NN3! One of the nicest hitchers, IMO. :)

--Diane

Agreed! This is one of my favorite hitchers. And I love the lavender/blue one that xADUBx has too...

Mine is definitely greening-up as it grows and is starting to look a bit more like yours, Diane. At first I thought it was a really slow grower, but when I look at the picture sequence it's actually moving along at a pretty good clip.

ADUB, do post pics when you get them.

s_s, you should post updates, too. This is shaping up as a great reference thread for hitching Porites.

IME it's a very fast grower, & very hardy.

--Diane

Congrats on the color, L34NN3!

Here is a picture with the polyps extended...

2008_02040006.jpg

Sweet pic! Very nice colors in both the Porites & the zoas. (Somehow yours looks a bit different than mine--is it just the color? Maybe I just haven't gotten a good pic of mine at that stage of polyp extension...)

--Diane

Got some shots of mine eating Cyclopeeze tonight.

It really makes those polyps stand up:

dscn8383irf680yd0.jpg

Through the loupe--Cyclopeeze in various stages of ingestion:

dscn8375irf680vf7.jpg

dscn8376irf680bp7.jpg

See the pink Cyclopeeze inside the tall, volcano-shaped polyp in the upper middle:

dscn8377irf680dx7.jpg

--Diane

supreme_spork

Wow! I lost track of this thread for a few weeks. These are great shots from everyone! Especially Diane's cyclopeeze nom nom nom shot. :o

Here's the latest of my little guy in the macroalgae jungle, taken today:

post-30962-1203281130_thumb.jpg

I feed him the same cyclopeeze mash that I feed my goni, but I've never seen him eat them whole. :P

^^^^^ That is a gorgeous picture! What great focus on those teensy polyps--looks like a cluster of perfect little snowflakes. And the composition with those colorful macros is very nice.

So far my Porites is marching right over the Bryopsis it encounters. :D

--Diane

Archived