inTank Media Baskets

Encrusting mystery hitch-hiker coral

supreme_spork

supreme_spork

This little guy came on my live rock and so has been chillaxin' in my tank for a few months. He started out as a uniformly tan round blob about the size of a pinky-nail, but had tinly regularly-spaced dots and was a bit fleshy so I thought he might habve been alive... he's doubled in size (now about the size of a dime), the center has darkened quite a bit and as of today the dots sprouted tentacles and became polyps!

What the heck is he -- a monti? It seems more like a sarco of some kind, but the polyps seem more like SPS than softie.

post-30962-1197234051_thumb.jpg

Does it resemble this hitcher I have? (I've had it for 3 years or so, thought it was completely dead after I let it get covered with shrooms, but it regrew after I pruned out the shrooms...) If so, every time I've posted it the consensus has been Porites.

5/6/07

dscn1635largema7.jpg

6/20/07

dscn2158largekd4.jpg

recent

dscn6939largecv0.jpg

dscn8027largeni3.jpg

Note that the underlying skeleton in our pics looks similar, too...

--Diane

supreme_spork
Does it resemble this hitcher I have? (I've had it for 3 years or so, thought it was completely dead after I let it get covered with shrooms, but it regrew after I pruned out the shrooms...) If so, every time I've posted it the consensus has been Porites.

Note that the underlying skeleton in our pics looks similar, too...

--Diane

Aha! Yours looks almost exactly like my little hitcher... Porites FTW. :D

Thanks Diane!

• 1 month later...
supreme_spork

just posting the 6 week update for this little porites hitcher -- it's been growing slowly but steadily and is doing well surrounded by a garden of various macroalgaes.

december 9:

post-30962-1197234051_thumb.jpg

january 21:

post-30962-1200970882_thumb.jpg

supreme_spork
Nice update--that's doing really well. Mine is also a fast grower. (It eats Cyclopeeze, too!)Nice pic as well.--Diane

Thanks Diane -- it's close to the back wall of my tank so hard to get a clear macro... I had to blow-out the depth-of-field to get it in focus, so everything looks a little bit cartoonish.

And

RE: cyclopeeze? That's a staple of my tank's diet but I've never tried target feeding it to this guy. I'll have to give it a go!

Thats some crazy polyp extension if it is a porite.

Important to note that it's blown-up pretty huge in this macro -- actual size is still only about an inch across, so the polyps are realllllly tiny. :P

Thats some crazy polyp extension if it is a porite.

Important to note that it's blown-up pretty huge in this macro -- actual size is still only about an inch across, so the polyps are realllllly tiny. :P

I get the same remark when I post super macros. This isn't the best I've gotten, just the first I ran across:

dscn6574irfan9ct7.jpg

--Diane

supreme_spork
I get the same remark when I post super macros. This isn't the best I've gotten, just the first I ran across:

(snip)

--Diane

CRAZY! You get the most awesome macros with that lupe...

It looks like it could it be a baby goniopora?, Diane i'm most certain yours is, it's got the polyp extensions just like one.

It looks like it could it be a baby goniopora?, Diane i'm most certain yours is, it's got the polyp extensions just like one.

I hear that often, too. Did you see my pics in post #4? Do you still think so?

Josh (SPS20) tells me that Porites, Gonis, and Alveopora are all in the same family, though, so I suppose the resemblance is natural. Finally an easy member of the family to keep! :)

--Diane

(Thanks, spork! Mine happens to be right next to the tank wall.)

DESERTHEATRACING

I have some of those as well :) I did not know what it was so I cut it off and slapped it on a frag disk, it is now growing into the disk!!!

unknownsps.jpg

supreme_spork
I have some of those as well :) I did not know what it was so I cut it off and slapped it on a frag disk, it is now growing into the disk!!!

slick!

much nicer coloring than my mystery critter. :D

supreme_spork
For some reason this looks more like an encrusting Pavona than a Porities to me.

hmm... i can't find any good closeups of pavona polyps that match, and the stuff i can find online doesn't look very similar.

greenstar, are you using any reference pics?

Most pictures of the online stuff is Pavona cactus, there is a number of other species that look vastly different. I can look it up when I get home, but I pretty sure I know which one it is down to the species level.

Porites is basically a really really small polyped version of goniopora/alveopora. They are closely related.

I am fairly certain that what you have there is a variety of Porites. Not 100%, but fairly certain. It's impossible to know for sure without a chunk of dead skeleton. I suspect you would rather have it alive and not know what it is than know for certain what you used to have, LOL.

Archived