Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 20g mainly Elegance Coral & Other LPS

Sandeep

With very small tanks like picos you really don't need a skimmer due to the volume of weekly water changes. With nano tanks like my 20 gallon I would recommend it. Although my bioload is light with only 1 fish, the skimmer will help maintain the water quality at a high level. I'm now slowly moving to bi-weekly water changes instead of weekly water changes with this tank and will observe the effects on the coral. I think the skimmer will help make this transition easier.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With very small tanks like picos you really don't need a skimmer due to the volume of weekly water changes. With nano tanks like my 20 gallon I would recommend it. Although my bioload is light with only 1 fish, the skimmer will help maintain the water quality at a high level. I'm now slowly moving to bi-weekly water changes instead of weekly water changes with this tank and will observe the effects on the coral. I think the skimmer will help make this transition easier.

Yes, and I would add that if you're using R/O water or boxed salt water it holds more true. Skimmers also remove a lot of other organic and inorganic compounds from the water, so if your water source is questionable (like many bottled waters), using a skimmer on a nano adds a buffer against potentially harmful situations.

What im really looking for is some first hand advice on the remora nano itslef. As it always seems to be the case i hear good and i hear bad. From the looks of your setup id feel confident in your knowledge and endoresment of the product. One of my main concerns with the HOB type products is the added stress to the tank structure (12 aquapod hqi). Do i need to worry about the wieght of the skimmer or am i just paranoid? Thanks for your help

Wonder where my elegance is from?

Shes huge now that pic is about 2-3 months old

She's a real beauty. Looks a lot like my Aussie. From what I've read the Indo-Pacific ones are darker in colour, have thicker tenticles and cone shaped base.

From my experience the Aqua C Nano Remora Protein Skimmer that I have has been superb with no issues and I highly recommend it. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the unit to break in and start working to it's full potential. The Maxi-Jet 900 that it comes with is just fine and no need to upgrade it.

Initially I found the remora to be noisy and it irritated me. But I found a simple mod that required nothing but placing a folded paper towel or piece of plastic from the top of a margerine contained cut out placed over the injector chamber, which has made by remora totally silent, what a joy!

Maintenance only requires using a small brush to clean out the injector chamber every 2 weeks, cleaning the Maxi-Jet intake weekly and taking the unit off the tank once a month or so to clean it out with my bigger bottle brushes. The Remora Nano is very light and should not cause much stress on a tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updated pictures of my Elegance corals

NanoJan5_08f.jpg

NanoJan5_08g.jpg

I fragged my other Elegance into three major pieces.

NanoJan5_08c.jpg

NanoJan5_08d.jpg

NanoJan5_08e.jpg

and one tiny piece, I hope it survives

NanoJan5_08a.jpg

Here is a updated shot of all my Elegance corals

NanoJan5_08b.jpg

Some updated pictures of my Elegance corals

I fragged my other Elegance into three major pieces.

and one tiny piece, I hope it survives

NanoJan5_08a.jpg

Here is a updated shot of all my Elegance corals

NanoJan5_08b.jpg

I see that you have a Clarkii clown. That's very nice. Me too.

Did your small frag survive?

My Clarkii is very mean and killed his mate, now he's all alone.

It's only been a few days but the tiny little Elegance coral frag is still alive and it's tentacles have expanded a bit.

I rearranged the right side of the tank placing the Elegance coral frags in the rocks and moving my Cynarina to the ground where he is happier with the lower flow.

NanoJan12_08a.jpg

The little tiny 4th Elegance frag is also doing nicely so far and shows a bit of growth.

NanoJan12_08e.jpg

I used a saw and a knife when fragging the Elegance, and a tiny piece chipped off with a little bit of polyps on it. It does not have a mouth, but it seems to be growing, it will be interesting to see if it can fully regenerate like mushrooms do when cut.

• 2 weeks later...

The tiny little guy is growing surprisingly fast so far and is now slightly smaller than the size of a quarter. Not only is the existing tissue expanding, but he's even grown new tissue and new tentacles that you can see in the photograph on his lower right side. It looks like he is trying to complete the disk, it will be interesting to see if that's a mouth developing in the middle.

NanoJan23_08b.jpg

I've now sold two of the three larger elegance frags. Here is a updated family photo showing the tiny little guy in the bottom left, the remaining elegance frag in the top middle and my other unfragged elegance at home on the top right.

NanoJan23_08a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some updated images of the tank. I've now reorganized it into three coral islands. Gives the tank more breathing room and better perspective - sometimes less is more.

NanoFeb8_08a.jpg

and closeups of each of the three coral islands

NanoFeb8_08d.jpg

NanoFeb8_08e.jpg

NanoFeb8_08c.jpg

my desk, with my 5.5g pico-reef on the left and the 20g nano-reef on the right

PicoFeb8_08h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived