Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RO/DI unit

katydidit

hmmmmm Ill have to check that out. I figured it would be more useful than useless. It would stop more crap from getting to the membrane therefore stretching its life. I think it could be pretty helpful in areas with excessively bad water.

Christopher Marks

If I recall, the entire argument on reefcentral came down to the fact that a second carbon block will be pointless, and you just end up paying more money when time comes to replace the cartridges.

Yeah, 2 carbon blocks are basically worthless. The first does all that can be done, so by the second block there really is nothing it can do, that hasn't already been done. All the work is done by the RO anyway atleast 75-85% of the work. I believe the ARS manual I had said something like that. My tap water is 380tds, after RO its about 13-18tds, then after DI its 0tds.

The 5 stage with 2 DI's is nice because when the first DI in line(stage 4) gets bad you swap in the last one(stage 5) and put your new DI resign in the final stage(stage 5). This way you always have good water ro/di water at 0tds. Thats were the 5 stage is nice but a good 4 stage should be all thats needed for a nano.

Their may be more benefit to a 5stage over a 4 that I didn't cover but thats because I don't know what it is.

Hey everyone, If you are looking for a RO unit check out Ebay. I got a 5 stage 50GPD (not alot but works) for $89.00 from Pure Water Planet.

It works great, very easy to set up, dosn't leak, very good quality. I was nervous about buying one from Ebay but now I am glad I did.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a small holding tank, 3 gallons. So buy the 5 gal. or bigger if you have the room for it.

Since when is it not safe to drink water from a standard Reef RO/DI system. I cannot find anything on ARS or the SpectraPure websites or documentation that says that.

If you are referring to drinking DI water in general, I agree that is not good. If you want to use the RO/DI for drinking, you would just split the line before the DI and drink the RO. Is there something not safe about drinking from the RO membrane?

Please correct me if I have missed something here. I'm looking to purchase a unit very soon and had planned to use it as my drinking water source as well. I didn't want to use a "standard" drinking RO system as they seem to be of lesser quality than the reef type systems.

Thanks

Archived