Pod Your Reef

RO/DI unit

katydidit

I have been looking into getting an RO/DI unit BEFORE i even get started settting up my tank (i figure its cheaper in the long run, right?). And i was just wondering where all of you guys have gotten yours and how you like it etc. I want something inexpensive, yet not cheap in quality (so somewhere in the middle cost range). Also, i have noticed that some are 2 stage, some 3, what is the difference? And would it make much of a difference if i were to get the 2 stage unit, for cost reasons? Any and all suggestions will be taken into consideration, thanks!

i saw this on drsfostersmith.com and i was wondering about it, it says that it does the job (the deionization and removal of unwanted chemicals), but has anyone tried it or know if it works?:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=4484

its just a thought

just noticed another thing (along with all of the other RO/DI units at ARS that i liked...) I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck here. What do you think, will it work?

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/TWP_Tap_...er_Purifier.htm

Put your hard earned money into a descent system. With that sink one, you will burn up cartridges quicker than a fly licks you! Its ok for waterchanges every "now and then". However, you will be much better of money wise and happiness to get a normal system.

I know, i noticed that you got the 4 stage unit from ARS, and that might be what i will end up having to go with. How do you like it and how hard was it to install (going to be in a dorm so there is only a bathroom sink...) can i put it on the faucet and take it off as i please, how does it work?

Its like hooking up a garden hose :) Just get an adapter for your sink at lowes or HD and put that bad boy on there. Hook up the red line, put the black line in the tub for drainage (or sink) and put the green line in a bucket!

ARS will help you with any questions when and if you purchase.

hmmm, that sounds dang easy (and pictures are always nice). maybe there was a reason that i saved damn near all of my money last year, yup, it was because i needed this thing. I know its like 200 bucks, but is the shipping horrible as well?

16 for shipping - I think.

Plus you get 10% off for being a NR.com member too. If I am correct. If not, its reefcentral. Either way, tell him and you will get 10%

:D

well i am a member at both, so it should be hard then. That is a sweet @ss deal...thats only about 200 bucks with tax and shipping included. I just need to keep telling myself its gonna be a hell of a lot easier than buying RO/DI water by the gallon for the rest of my life (im already hooked to freshwater, and i know this will be the same). Thanks absolutc, you really can be a big help...just try to be nice to some people, you do come on a bit strong. Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.

never heard of it...

now does that red tube come from the unit or to it? also, the diagram on the website says that it goes straight from the source to the aquarium...im confused. i just need to call in...

oooh, i just looked up the airwaterice thing, and i like it a lot. Better price, im really curious to know if anyone uses it...

AquaticReefSystems here and love it. Get a good one now or you'll pay for it later. Trust me, I was looking for something cheap to, but I figured when all is said and done the last thing you want to be cheap with is your water quality. After all water quality is the most important part of maintaining a reef. I bought the 100gpd Oceanus and a Primo TDS meter and am xtremely happy with it and the service I recieved from ARS. Some stand up guys over there.

I live in an apartment and I went to Home Depot and bought a $5 adapter and a $4 t valve. I was making water in 15 minutes. Its under the counter in my bathroom.

I was just curious. Do any of you use this as a replacement for drinking water? I figure the water changes are soooo small in a nano that I might as well use the other 49.5G for drinking water :-D. Lemme know what you guys think!

all of the places that sell the RO/DI units specifically say that the water IS NOT made for drinking...i have no clue why b/c it is supposed to be pure, but im not gonna do it just because i think it is, they say not to, so im gonna leave it to the experts

**HEY 2tonearmy!! decided to do a nano for sure now?

AirWaterIce sells one for $189 that produces 50 gpd of water that's for either drinking or reefkeeping. I think that's the one that I'll probably go with, but I'll probably also add a faucet into my sink. Our water has terribly high nitrates, and when we decide to have kids, we'll need to address the water issue immediately. The tank will be a fringe benefit.

If you go over to RC and do a search on AirWaterIce you will find a crap load of people who have been using them for some time now. I havent heard anything bad about them at all. If you are a member of RC they will throw in a TDS meter with a RO/DI purchase. Plus these babies are 5 stage! Read what they have to say about other 4 stage models. It might peek your interest.

I dont have one yet but soon I hope.

Christopher Marks
Originally posted by DeskJockey

Plus these babies are 5 stage! Read what they have to say about other 4 stage models. It might peek your interest.

While they may be 5 stage, they're not the same as other 5 stage RO/DI systems. Instead of giving you the proper two DI cartridges at the end, AWI gives you two carbon filters. It's basically a useless extra canister to make it look like a pretty good deal. Unless of course they've finally changed it...

I believe there was a lengthy discussion on reefcentral about it.

Archived