ReefCleaners.org

Elmar's Red Sea Max

elmar

Yeah, that site looks pretty cool. I may just join in myself.

Stevie -

I remember reading one of your replies/posts about cutting the black sponge in half and putting something in replacement - what was that?

It was a solution for microbubbles that everyone else that has a RSM sudgested, including the company. It is that course black sponge that sits bellow your surface skimmer above the protein skimmer pump. Cut it in half, it is WAY to thick. I have mine about 1.5-2" thick, it will apparently cut the microbubbles down, yet I never tested the theory since i did it before I started.

The bubbles seem to go way down once the sponge gets gunked up as well.

Edit: I didn't replace it with anything, just cut it in half. I threw out the white sponge, i use filter floss at times, i have a bag of purigen bellow that sponge

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok cool. What is the Purigen for?

I did clean both of the sponges last night, and the microbubbles did recede a little. The white one had the most gunk in it though. That one did seem useless in there, so I guess I will toss that as well.

Also, I remember something about chem..something in another chamber. What does that do?

The purigen is a NO3 and NO2 absorbent. Pick some up! The chemi-pure is carbon, pick some of that up also, replace it with the stock carbon.

The white sponge should be thrown out every 10 or so days. Pick up some filter floss, it is super cheep. I run some every now and then, it catches every small partical, but if you run it too long or don't throw it out, it can grwo nitrites

I got rid of both the stock filters and use these. The filter bag fits over a plastic frame which fits standing vertical right behind the overflow grate. It's easy to remove for cleaning compared to going elbow deep for the stock filters.

Tetrafilter.jpg

I have used these before on FW tanks. I don't recommend them for Saltwater or for serious reef systems. They have a week amound of carbon in them. If you do want to run these, you should still be using a chemi-pure product underneath the pumps, I alss recommend purigen.

I think I will stick with the filter floss instead.

So the filter floss should just go in by itself rather than in any bag - right?

I got rid of both the stock filters and use these. The filter bag fits over a plastic frame which fits standing vertical right behind the overflow grate. It's easy to remove for cleaning compared to going elbow deep for the stock filters.

Tetrafilter.jpg

Are you using the carbon it comes with or adding something else? It might be nice to put the chemi pure in?? Easier to grab it later on...

No, the carbon looked like low quality stuff. I use a good quality carbon and Phosban in separate bags, which hang in the skimmer compartment beside the heater. I figured it better to have the stuff after the skimmer?? Seems to work for me and the least amount of MB compared to stock filtration.

I think I will stick with the filter floss instead.

So the filter floss should just go in by itself rather than in any bag - right?

correct. It usually comes in a large roll and you cut it to the size you want. You can even pick it up in the sewing sections of stores, or air filtration. It is common poly filtration with many uses, including for aquariums. I use it in my SW and FW.

• 3 weeks later...

DAY 42 UPDATE -

Hello all, like most people on here, because of the holidays, I haven't really posted. I have been trying to take it as slow as possible in stocking my reef. I must confess though, I did have an impulse buy, thus suffering from it. I bought a carnation coral. Although I had read a little about them, and knowing that these can be a little hard to maintain, I still took my chances. Well, so far, not good. It did well for about a week or so, but slowly, it has been on the down side. I have moved it a couple of times already. The last move was last night. It seems to like the spot a little because one of the branches has stood up.

I have also added a colt coral. This coral was on the top of my list to get. So far so good. It has been in my tank for about a week and doing pretty good.

As far as fish, I have 3. A coral beauty, sixline wrasse, and a yellow tail damsel. The damsel was not intended to be added in this tank, but my pico tank's filter/pump gave up around the holiday and so I transfered it over to my RSM. The CB and 6line gave it a brutal welcome, but they all seem to be chilling out as days go by.

Unfortunately though, I have noticed one of the smaller pieces of rock has developed some Red Valonia...ugh! What is the best way to get rid of this stuff?

post-31243-1198865588_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1198865608_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1198865628_thumb.jpg

supreme_spork
I must confess though, I did have an impulse buy, thus suffering from it. I bought a carnation coral. Although I had read a little about them, and knowing that these can be a little hard to maintain, I still took my chances. Well, so far, not good. It did well for about a week or so, but slowly, it has been on the down side. I have moved it a couple of times already. The last move was last night. It seems to like the spot a little because one of the branches has stood up.

yikes elmar -- take that carnation back to your LFS ASAP or it's a goner. those things are *really* difficult to keep alive and not the right choice for a newbie, and definitely not the right choice for a new nano tank -- it's likely starving in addition to all the stress from being moved around.

here's a blurb from liveaquaria.com that's actually pretty spot-on about this coral, and might help convince you to take it back:

[The carnation coral] is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

I have to agree about that coral. I saw that and was pretty surprised. They are super hard to keep. I bought a frag pack last year with my old tank, well they sent me a pink carnation to my surprise. I tried to keep it but never could get it to attach, it slowly withered away to nothing. I can't believe they sent it to me in the first place since i was asking for softies.

Best to see if you can take it back..

Currently, I am at work, but will do some tests when I go home for lunch.

Being that the algae only appears on a small piece of rock, I will just take that rock out and manually remove the algae.

yummy, it is like bubble algae, I have never herd of it before but if it is an algae what are you phospahtes at?

Went home for lunch and tested for phosphate. Result = 0

Another Update

After visiting one of the 4 LFS, I couldn't resist their great prices on some new pieces. I picked up a nice micromussa with a 2 small frags of xenia in the same rock. The next day, I went back to pick up 3 frags of EUPHYLLIAS. A frogspawn with 2 branches which I have separated, a hammer, and a torch coral.

I still have the carnation which isn't doing so well. I have called one of the LFS who I bought this from and they said for me to keep it for a few more days under a different location. I have moved it yet once again. I have seen little progress after some feeding. I'll wait a few more days to see if anything changes. I'd hate to just give up on it.

Also new, are a pair of oscellaris clowns. Very original huh? Well, I can see why everyone loves them - the addition has made this small environment come to life. They are very active!

post-31243-1199070836_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070848_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070857_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070875_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070894_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070909_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070916_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070923_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070942_thumb.jpg

post-31243-1199070952_thumb.jpg

Nice recent additions Elmar.

My colt coral has nearly doubled in size since I got it 2 months ago. I have to prune it soon, as it's going to reach the surface. lol

I have the same pair of clowns. I had stayed away from clowns because they were sooo typical, but haven't regretted it, they are my favorite additions to my tank now. One has grown quite a bit (becoming the dominant female) and they have started hosting in my cup coral (too funny).

A great book to get is "clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson if you want to learn about them.

I learned my lesson with impulse buys (coral banded shrimp, who ate my peppermint shrimp). I don't go to a lfs without my coral/fish book anymore, as you can't always trust the store staff to know everything or even care.

Thanks Hodge -

Do you have any pics of your set-up? Would like to see your colt coral. The colt is definitely on the top of my favorite corals. Have you pruned it before? If so, how and where do you begin without damaging it?

I'm so jealous. I've been looking for a long armed neon green torch locally with no luck. One LFS has some in his show case but it's NFS. It's the only coral the GF really liked. She said it reminds her of a Mermaid's Hair. Weird. Looks great so far!

Hi Elmar,

This was taken on the 15th

Picture101.jpg

This was taken on the 26th

Picture125-1.jpg

I've had to start supplementing Calcium (2 part) since adding the sps. Weekly water changes aren't cutting it anymore.

The only coral I'm having trouble with right now is the toadstool in the lower right corner. It has only opened up a few times in the past couple weeks (apparently normal) but seems to be shrinking.

Archived